Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han 68-70 AMX kits AMT

Sport Suburban

ALL of the stock '68-'70 AMX annual kits were sold in AMT boxes.  There was one '68, two '69s, and two '70s.  The two '69 kits had the same parts and decals, just different boxes and different stock numbers (same for 1970).

The first two-seater AMX sold in Jo-Han packaging was the original issue of the Shirley Shahan Super Stocker, in 1971.  The only street version they sold was the USA Oldies issue, and that one didn't have stock wheels.

On 9/27/2019 at 9:44 PM, Snake45 said:

I just scored a Shirley Shahan on ePay for $38. Never built, never painted. Looks like it's missing the Cragar wheels and only shows 3 tires, not a huge deal. The taillights might be missing, too, but all the rest of important stuff is there, so still a good deal. I can't remember the last time I saw one go for under $50 and asking prices seem to be in the $90 range. 

Just remembered, a friend of mine has a real one and has been looking for the model. He's a very good builder and painter and I'd feel okay turning it over to him. Wonder if he's got anything interesting to swap for it, hmmmmmmm?  :huh:

Snake , IIRC Marc Nellis offers the Javelin / AMX , '68/'69 MY's .. Thanx

Here are my AMC Pony Cars I've built so far . The fronts are the same on the '71/'74 Javelin AMX Cars . The '73/'74 Has the Hurst Optional Wheels . I don't like them and plan to change them put . The '68 AMX is sporting absolutely wrong Aftermarket Wheels . Since I found out the Visually determinable difference between '69 vs '69 . The Black Out changed to Wood Grain Trim . This Interior change I plan too swap the wheels for the AMC Turbine Road Wheels . Thanx ..  

'71 AMX Javelin R.jpg

'72 AMC Javelin AMX R.jpg

'73 AMC Javelin AMX R.jpg

'74 Javelin AMX R.jpg

1968 AMC AMX F.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2019 at 12:54 PM, Mark said:

The Jo-Han AMX is also 1/24 scale (the promo boxes say so, and the ones I put a ruler to measure out to 1/24) so it will be interesting to see how they compare.

VERY interesting! I've had a JoHAn AMX on my shelf for decades and it never occurred to me that it looked "big." 

Haven't been able to do any actual measuring, but last night I was able to compare the diecast ERTL body with a JoHan kit body (unbuilt) and they're virtually identical in size--nothing like the typical 1/24-1/25 difference I'm so familiar with. 

So I wonder if the JoHan Javelins are 1/24, too? Hmmmmmmm......:unsure:

All Jo-Han AMC promos (and the resulting kits) tooled from 1961 on are 1/24 scale.  I don't bother with promos molded in acetate, but someone once told me that the '62 Classic wagon was based on the '59 wagon (and thus 1/25 scale) while the '62 Classic sedan (the one reissued as the snap taxi kit) is 1/24, meaning things like bumpers don't interchange.

The Jo-Han '62 Larks are bigger yet, something like 1/23.  Larks aren't big cars.  And even the "big" mid-Sixties Ramblers are the same size as Big Three intermediates.

I have a '65 Classic 4-door promo and the box indicates 1/24th scale.  But the '70 AMX kit indicates 1/25th scale on the box.  There are also claims that Jo-Han's full-size Cadillac promo models were actually slightly small to fit into the boxes.  I threw out a box because the promo fit too tightly in it!  I never measured the scale of the '63-'70 Coupe deVilles.

Jo-Han and AMT (the latter sold all of the annual two-seater AMX kits) called them 1/25, but the AMC promo boxes (not the toy store friction car boxes with the cellophane window) all say 1/24.  The ones I put a ruler to measure out as 1/24 scale in the areas I checked (usually wheelbase or overall length). 

Some of the Cadillacs are likely cheated up in that the lower bodies look stubby compared to the roof.  I'm thinking of the '61-'62 mainly.  That may have been done to fit the box, or to make the car look more to scale with existing tires.  Jo-Han used the same tire on the Cadillacs and Studebaker Larks...something's got to give, both can't look right with the same tire!

Other kits with no promo model connection are undersize also...let's just say "1/25 scale" in regard to car kits is a "fluid" concept.

7 hours ago, Mark said:

Some of the Cadillacs are likely cheated up in that the lower bodies look stubby compared to the roof.  I'm thinking of the '61-'62 mainly.  That may have been done to fit the box, or to make the car look more to scale with existing tires.  Jo-Han used the same tire on the Cadillacs and Studebaker Larks...something's got to give, both can't look right with the same tire!

Re the tires: Caddies and Studebakers did both use 15" wheels...

Re the bodies, here's the Jo-Han '60 Fleetwood vs. the Revellogram '59 Eldo:

P1110454.JPG.bc050ce8792379dce2455d96d7eccfaf.JPG

P1110450.JPG.8fcca18cb4c5e82fbfab6926f9f51785.JPG

Width very close, length very off.

Picked these two up at the WAMC show/swap last weekend.  Both were under $35 and complete and unbuilt.  I did measure them and they both came up with a fraction of 24th scale (the SC/Rambler is a bit narrow from listed specs).  I had never heard of the "Pro Street AMX kit before.

2019103195124026.jpg

2019103195124042.jpg

2019103195124153.jpg

Edited by djflyer