Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's 1965 Malibu Wagon: WIP

David G.

Now that I've finished The Alien, it's time for the next project. AMT's '65 Chevelle Superwagon.
This vehicle, in reality is a 1965 Chevelle Malibu Station Wagon by Chevrolet. I'm calling it the Malibu Wagon. And though the drag race version looks like fun, I'll be building this one as a stock "Grocery Getter".

65_Malibu_Wagon_00.jpg.c844960ea25801754d76bfc13148d317.jpg

This is a rather simple, almost toy-like kit. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this kit started as a promo.  Should make for some quick building.

65_Malibu_Wagon_01.thumb.jpg.909e1453ee6be89bb68f1685e7a01c1b.jpg

A little detail painting on the chassis plate. I still have to paint the fuel tank.

65_Malibu_Wagon_02.thumb.jpg.56f8180cbd2c38502e5964a82d44ed24.jpg

The metal wire axles in this kit make quick work of getting the wheels under the car.

65_Malibu_Wagon_03.thumb.jpg.1b0e791453e467929172dccc10546a38.jpg

Gotta love those classic wagon lines.

65_Malibu_Wagon_04.thumb.jpg.96b3f81ad674f924e0ec1bd3ef28ac45.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to offer comments tips or critiques.

David G.

Edited by David G.
typo

You're off to a great start! I did one of these a couple years back as a MP drag car and it was a LOT of fun. The body scripts/emblems were a joy to work with. I wish ALL kits had scripts and emblems like that. 

One simple thing you can do to improve realism is look at photos of the front end of real '65 Chevelles, and add the two big cooling vents between the front bumper and the grille. 

You just reminded me that a few months ago I bought a restorable glue bomb '64 wagon. Probably gonna rebuild it stock, but haven't decided on a color yet. 

23 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Good looking start, any colors in mind yet?  I may build mine using the Revell 66 chassis, if it will fit; just got to have a stock class drag car.

Thanks Ricky. For the color I'm using Duplicolor Sunburst Gold. If it fits, using the chassis from the 66 would be a good choice. I like the body on this kit but the chassis and tub interior? bleah.

23 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You're off to a great start! I did one of these a couple years back as a MP drag car and it was a LOT of fun. The body scripts/emblems were a joy to work with. I wish ALL kits had scripts and emblems like that. 

One simple thing you can do to improve realism is look at photos of the front end of real '65 Chevelles, and add the two big cooling vents between the front bumper and the grille. 

You just reminded me that a few months ago I bought a restorable glue bomb '64 wagon. Probably gonna rebuild it stock, but haven't decided on a color yet. 

Thank you Snake. I agree, the scripts and badges are great on this one. Thanks for the tip. For cars of this era, I usually check to see what kind of filler is between the bumpers and body work. My plans for this one are to detail that bit with paint rather than to try to cut out the middle section.

2359bbefdf27a021f476deff573f3363-700.jpg.a76b4112be13bf69a3dbbbe265028061.jpg

If you want, feel free to drop a couple of shots of that '64 gluebomb here. I like those old survivors, there's something special about them.

19 hours ago, Nitrobarry said:

Would make an excellent NHRA Stock Eliminator car!

Yes it would Barry, and with all the drag racing parts in this kit, that would be an easy build. 

16 hours ago, wrenchr said:

I need to pick one of these up. OP you are off to a great start!!

Thanks for your comment Jason. Despite its simple chassis, this is a rather good kit and provides a number of build options: factory stock, custom, drag racing and race crew car.  The body details are nice and the only complaint I have is the four big ejector pin marks on the cargo deck. Up to this point, nearly half of the time I've spent on this kit has been trying to find a way to address those pin marks.

David G.

The bane of model builders everywhere- ejector pin marks! On the floor in the passenger area, they're not so bad but in the cargo area? Those will be very visible when the model is completed.
I spent probably more time than I should have trying to come up with various ways to address those blasted marks. Filling, sanding and re-sculpting was unlikely to yield good results.

65_Malibu_Wagon_08.thumb.jpg.57432b43234b9a76c71e113f992308ec.jpg

So I decided to see about adding some cargo to cover them up. I even went so far as to fabricate some paper grocery bags for the "grocery getter". Unfortunately, coming up with groceries with which to fill them was more challenging than I anticipated.
65_Malibu_Wagon_11.thumb.jpg.7a576982604722d43741ddabf0ac6b54.jpg

Luckily, I found some sheet styrene left over from my model railroading days that had a suitable pattern.
65_Malibu_Wagon_09.thumb.jpg.fcc02227004cf8bff32cbdb50030776a.jpg

I think this will work.
65_Malibu_Wagon_10.thumb.jpg.b75e2e19706b1f8b10dad4f8719f0bc6.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.
David G.

6 hours ago, David G. said:

The bane of model builders everywhere- ejector pin marks! On the floor in the passenger area, they're not so bad but in the cargo area? Those will be very visible when the model is completed.
I spent probably more time than I should have trying to come up with various ways to address those blasted marks. Filling, sanding and re-sculpting was unlikely to yield good results.

65_Malibu_Wagon_08.thumb.jpg.57432b43234b9a76c71e113f992308ec.jpg

So I decided to see about adding some cargo to cover them up. I even went so far as to fabricate some paper grocery bags for the "grocery getter". Unfortunately, coming up with groceries with which to fill them was more challenging than I anticipated.
65_Malibu_Wagon_11.thumb.jpg.7a576982604722d43741ddabf0ac6b54.jpg

Luckily, I found some sheet styrene left over from my model railroading days that had a suitable pattern.
65_Malibu_Wagon_09.thumb.jpg.fcc02227004cf8bff32cbdb50030776a.jpg

I think this will work.
65_Malibu_Wagon_10.thumb.jpg.b75e2e19706b1f8b10dad4f8719f0bc6.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.
David G.

That is what I'd do. Looking good David. 

16 hours ago, wrenchr said:

That is what I'd do. Looking good David. 

Thanks Jason, I'm just a little bummed that it took me so long to come up with the idea.

14 hours ago, Lizard Racing said:

Good tip for dealing with the marks!

I built one back in the day. Its last configuration was an AWB match racer.

Thanks George. AWB, the original funny cars.

I have two Lindberg '64 Ramchargers and I want to build one as an AWB racer but I currently lack the courage to start hacking it apart.

David G.

OK, I have some color on the wagon and I'm rather happy with my selection. It just looks right on this car.

I also happened to catch a video Chris at hpiguys Workshop uploaded just yesterday wherein he builds the latest version of this kit in Sage Green. Here's a link.

This is the first color coat. I usually foil the trim after spraying a light coat of primer. This gives the foil something to stick to and helps reduce the chances of the paint adding an unwanted pebbly texture to the foil. I've also black-washed the grille and hubcaps.

65_Malibu_Wagon_12.thumb.jpg.6a0d60750fbbb2e49f8e731200f408e0.jpg

I have wanted to build a model car in gold for some time now and I believe this one is a good choice. The other one I was considering is a 1975 Dodge Dart. Also a good choice but that one may end up in silver now.

65_Malibu_Wagon_13.thumb.jpg.84201a01e5935a92b0bdcb9bb637a1b9.jpg

In the outdoor shot, the color looks much closer to Chevrolet's Gold paint of that era.

65_Malibu_Wagon_14.thumb.jpg.838709c9b971835deac92a15e5d85e13.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to post a comment.

David G.

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Wow, that is looking REALLY nice! You are REALLY making me want to do my '64. Drive on! B)

Thanks Snake, you ought to crack into it.

6 hours ago, espo said:

I like your color choice and the pictures outside really look good. What do you have in mind for the interior ? 

Thank you David. For the interior colors I'm working with tans and browns, trying to come up with a good looking combination.

David G.

3 hours ago, tbill said:

Boy oh boy, you nailed the color, absolutely perfect for that car. Also, great idea on the cargo area, perfect solution. Coming along beautifully.

Thanks Tom, I'm glad you like it.

2 hours ago, kelson said:

I agree that color choice really suits the wagon.:)

Thank you for saying so Curtis.

David G.

11 hours ago, Shambles said:

Very nice, and good color choice. 've built one or two of these wagons over the decades. I found a photo of one of 'em that I sold with my last collection. Regrets? Of course!

63 CHEVELLE WAGON.jpg

Thanks John. I guess great minds think alike! ;) 

Too bad you no longer have them.

David G.

• David G. changed the title to AMT's 1965 Malibu Wagon: WIP