Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is a restoration I started a few years ago and finished around a year ago. It was a builtup I got on ebay. The description didn’t show what top came with it. So, I took a chance thinking maybe it had the full top. No full top. Just the goofy looking convertible top. But, thanx to my good friend Jeff Salem, I was able to scratch build my own using his as a template. I made mine more accurate by adding the rubber detail around the side windows and the reveal at the bottom.

The chassis was glued solid. So, I snagged a new one from a newer kit. I also used the drivetrain, floorpan, seats, dash, steering wheel and shifters. Tires are from a toy. Wheels are from an AMT '72 Blazer. I cut the hubcaps from a set of wheels covers.  

The body and interior panels stripped clean as new. I enlarged the rear wheel openings and made a new lip to make room for the 38" Swampers. I opened the cowl vent, added a hood scoop and scratch built a new splash pan. Paint is Dupli Color Avignon Blue metallic and Tamiya Pure White. I wanted a driver quality paint job. So, just a single coat of clear with no polishing. I also didn't want bright chrome. All of the trim and bumpers were foiled with matte aluminum. 

The interior was painted the same blue with Dupli Color Bahama Blue accents on the seats. The only modification was removing the door handle and detail from the quarter panels.

The engine got a modified blower from the Revell Rat Roaster, four barrel carburetor, air cleaner from an AMT '57 Corvette, scratch built headers and details.

48133104376_bdf0a6fe65_b.jpg

48133191772_dd2585a95f_b.jpg

48133127883_8372fd4025_b.jpg

48133090616_45bde6d584_b.jpg

48133175382_4fefba0d70_b.jpg

48133172627_c8be1a2e65_b.jpg

48133105518_869019cb61_b.jpg

48133100408_4b25cbe5f7_b.jpg

48133096123_6ee31d8f6b_b.jpg

Thanx for checking it out! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kelson said:

That is beautiful!,i have a 68'Jeepster that is needing parts,hopefully one day it'll be restored.

Thanx! More than likely, yours is a '67 also. Unless it has side markers. Mine was supposedly a '69. But, research proved it to be a '67. 

14 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

That is very nice! I love the details and the way you updated it without going overboard. I have a resin body from Olson Bros to build and need to get going on it, this could be the inspiration to do that!

Thanx! I've looked at that. Looks like the tail gate is missing the license plate light and the scripts. Hard to tell in the photo though. Also, I saw no mention of bumpers. The bumpers on the '67-'71s had the rounded bumpers. The '72 has the flat bumpers. 

Very nice Jeep! That turned out great. Love the color and all of the modifications you did. The tires and wheels look spot on. Did you have to move the radiator forward to slip in the v-8? I had to move it forward when I built my 72 Commando with a v-8. I wasn't sure if the Jeepster body was spaced differently or not. Great job.

Jeff 

11 hours ago, Goose1957 said:

Very nice Jeep! That turned out great. Love the color and all of the modifications you did. The tires and wheels look spot on. Did you have to move the radiator forward to slip in the v-8? I had to move it forward when I built my 72 Commando with a v-8. I wasn't sure if the Jeepster body was spaced differently or not. Great job.

Jeff 

Thanx! It has the kit V-6. I shortened the blower and intake to fit it. I had to move the distributor to the rear also. The electric fan setup had to be mounted in front of the radiator.

Here's a couple of photos that show the engine better.

48806658467_a468668980_b.jpg

48806598672_6242e7da58_b.jpg