Model Cars Magazine Forum

10 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Thanx! It has the kit V-6. I shortened the blower and intake to fit it. I had to move the distributor to the rear also. The electric fan setup had to be mounted in front of the radiator.

Here's a couple of photos that show the engine better.

48806658467_a468668980_b.jpg

48806598672_6242e7da58_b.jpg

Very creative, I didn't even realize it was the v-6. Great detail in that build. Looks like a real powerhouse.

Jeff 

On 10/4/2019 at 10:44 PM, Ron Hamilton said:

Magnificent!! I only hope my 1969 Jeepster comes out half as great.

Thanx Ron! If your Jeepster has the side markers, I'd like to see a photo of it. Mine was advertised as a '69. But, it didn't have the side markers. So, it's actually a '67. 

There's a reason why this kit came with a 'goofy convertible top'.

The 1968 & 1969 MPC Jeepsters were modeled after the 1967 Jeepster Sports Convertible.

There were 2 Jeepster convertibles, 1967-1969. A Commando Convertible and the Sports Convertible, which was the top of the Jeepster lineup and was not part of the Commando line.

ONLY the Sports Convertible came with paint divider moldings and 2 tone paint. These were standard features to set it apart from the lesser Commando lineup.

The Sports Convertible also came with a tailgate-mounted spare tire and cover with special rear bumper to accommodate the spare.

The Custom Sports Convertible added front and rear carpets, rear armrests, deluxe pleated seats, courtesy lights, and more.

The Sports Convertible was marketed to the beach and country club crowds as well as to upscale wives.

I see real Sports Convertibles listed on eBay as Commandos, usually butchered in many ways. But the paint dividers and lack of Commando emblems on the hood are always the giveaway. Sad that so many of them got hacked into something that they were never intended for, because the Sports Convertibles were rare when new.

2016740003_1967JeepsterConvertible.jpg.e5b37c5317b612ea14a38de65cd0038c.jpg

Edited by Slick Shifter

The first MPC Jeepsters were '67s. No side markers. Federal law required all vehicles to have side markers beginning with the '68 model year. The full scale '68 Jeepsters had the side markers mounted to the side of the hood between the hood latch and the Jeepster emblem. The rear side markers were mounted high towards the rear. Just behind the gas cap on the left side. The '69-'71s had the front side markers integrated with the wheel well lip. The rear markers were mounted just a few inches above the bottom of the body above the lip. Whether or not MPC updated the bodies, I don't know. If anyone has an MPC Jeepster with side markers, please post a photo of it. I'd really like to see it. 

22 hours ago, Plowboy said:

The first MPC Jeepsters were '67s. No side markers. 

The first MPC Jeepsters were 1968s, both issued in 1968.

One was the Sports Convertible with the Holy Toledo drag option. Other was the 'Commando' Service Station Plow Truck.

Neither had side marker lights. Nor did the MPC 1969, 1970, and 1971 Jeepsters. They never bothered to add them after they cut the original mold to 1967-spec.

The side markers did not appear until the mold was altered to make the 1972 Commando. This mold still wears the '67-'69 Sports Conv.  paint dividers. That amuses me ?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx again everyone for the comments, I appreciate it! Since posting this, I've been working on getting the other tops done while working on other projects. I now have the half top, convertible top, boot cover and the rear cap all finished. So, I can now change up the look whenever I want. I may rework the rear seat to make it removable when I want to use the half top.

Super nice Jeepster build.   I have two of the old MPC Jeepster Safari Wagons that I'm trying to restore and both body's have the side marker lights that you speak of.   There is one on ebay right now and you can barely make out the side markers in the pics.   Here is a link to this kit.   https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-25-Jeepster-Safari-Wagon/274087913790?hash=item3fd0e9a93e:g:LzcAAOSwn0Bdq2Hd