Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Oldsmobile 442 W-30

StevenGuthmiller

Well, here we go again! :D

The next project up to the plate is this very rare Johan 1968 Olds 442.

I received this kit in a trade with our very own Claes Ericsson from Sweden some months ago and I'm ready to get on it.

This one will get the full treatment as did the '65 Fury, but it should be somewhat easier as I will be able to steal a great deal of the parts from the MPC '69 442.

There should be no scratch building of fender wells and firewalls required!

The most challenging part will likely be re-working the interior to my standards.

Any way, here is my start point.

Steve

image.thumb.jpeg.04e3e7153093972e40f20576e9cdcc29.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c88dcc002105b36233411e9a4b930385.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8d2c8067a53224a86e114cc5e754dbc1.jpeg

First update.

The engine compartment detail on the Johan kit is pretty much non-existent and the chassis is very rudimentary, so they will be the first to go.

The cowl and radiator plate detail has been cut from the '69 and grafted to the '68.

2v2ES31YGxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E5mwECxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E5mwfWxwUbWP.jpg

The chrome parts were re-plated some time ago and are ready for use.

2v2E5mwwgxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E5mwbSxwUbWP.jpg

The color will be an unusual factory color called "Cinnamon Bronze" provided by Scale Finishes.

2v2E5mnZCxwUbWP.jpg

2v2E5mnQLxwUbWP.jpg

Steve

I am SO jealous! But to be honest, the rare kit couldn't be in better hands. B)

I gave up on trying to find one I could afford long ago, but last year I was able to fill that slot on my shelf with a VERY nice Welly diecast...for just $10, no less. B)

4 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

When I use alligator clips to hold pieces in place they always seem to mar the piece, especially if they are thin, how do you keep that from happening?

I guess at this stage of the game, I don't worry about it.

There will be plenty of prep and sanding to do on the body before it's ready for paint.

I never use them on painted parts.

Steve

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I am SO jealous! But to be honest, the rare kit couldn't be in better hands. B)

I gave up on trying to find one I could afford long ago, but last year I was able to fill that slot on my shelf with a VERY nice Welly diecast...for just $10, no less. B)

I felt a bit guilty when I scored this one Snake.......but that feeling subsided quickly. :D

I traded a derelict AMT '64 GTO that was given to me, and a Johan USA Oldies '60 Plymouth Wagon for it, along with a few miscellaneous parts.

I considered it a very good trade for stuff that I was very likely never going to use.

Steve 

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

2 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

Hmmm, guess you are right, never thought about it that way.  Just trying to avoid as much bodywork as possible, getting lazy in my old age.

It's a valid point Rick.

I use these clips sparingly for assembly purposes.

I use them primarily for holding parts for painting.

Steve

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

Going too be an interesting build to watch, especially with your master's touch. When I use alligator clips to hold pieces in place they always seem to mar the piece, especially if they are thin, how do you keep that from happening?

I have used small strips of thin plastic between the clips and the surface to protect it from damage.

On 9/26/2019 at 7:43 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

It's a valid point Rick.

I use these clips sparingly for assembly purposes.

I use them primarily for holding parts for painting.

Steve

If you take some electrical shrink vinyl, you can cover up those teeth...one piece over each side of the clip.

Hi guys!

So far I've been concentrating on re-scribing trim and panel lines and getting geared up for repairing a broken vent post and adding vinyl top detail.

Today it began to get messy!

For anyone who is squeamish about cutting up a rare Johan '68 Olds 442 interior, you might want to turn away. :D

I decided that I will combine interior parts from the Johan '68 with parts from the MPC '69 442.

That will require a lot of cutting and grinding with the Dremel tool.

As a matter of fact, I'm writing this as I wait for my Dremel to cool off and recharge after a pretty intense cutting session. :P

The '69 Door panels have been removed to facilitate easier detailing and the floor, which has much better console detail, has been retained.

The '68 interior has been completely blown apart and the seats will be fit into the '69 tub.

The door panels will get  re-working much like my '67 Ford and '65 Plymouth projects, and the seats will be modified by changing the bases and adding the '69 backs to the '68 buckets.

The fun has begun!! ^_^

Steve

image.thumb.jpeg.c3beda9f1d4fe1cca858370a8c2d9ba2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.eb366a976a6ba4e304c3e4fcec2ab33c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.66074fd6944ef25db20dbdc34870ed4b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a2d1c110ed17aeddc94b3360fa8865c4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.efd068d4c84e5ad9eb4045320d8b96d0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3e47d788adabd1cced6da08fcf8446e4.jpeg