Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Oldsmobile 442 W-30

StevenGuthmiller

10 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

...which is the same kit like the AMT kit I'm currently building, if I remember that correctly from Tim Boyd's book... I'm looking forward to see you start painting, Steve! 

Exactly the same kit.

It has been re-badged as an AMT kit in recent years by Round 2, but it was originally produced by MPC.

The kit I'm pilfering is of the MPC variety. :)

Steve

9 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I wished I would've boxed in my frame rails on my Charger build. Pure oversight and it's too late to do it now but I'll be keeping my open on future builds for that. Good added touch.

I rarely catch everything that I would like to do in time, but this detail just happened to jump out at me this time around.

Steve

11 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It has been re-badged as an AMT kit in recent years by Round 2, but it was originally produced by MPC.

The kit I'm pilfering is of the MPC variety. :)

Steve

I believe at the time this kit appeared, AMT and MPC were in fact unified under the same roof, and this kit was done by basically the same team that did the AMT '66 Nova. It was just branded MPC for some reason, perhaps just to keep the brand name alive. 

Just didn't want anyone to think that this kit had anything in common with the suboptimal old MPC kits of the '60s and '70s, many of which are still being reissued to this day. B)

19 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I believe at the time this kit appeared, AMT and MPC were in fact unified under the same roof, and this kit was done by basically the same team that did the AMT '66 Nova. It was just branded MPC for some reason, perhaps just to keep the brand name alive. 

Just didn't want anyone to think that this kit had anything in common with the suboptimal old MPC kits of the '60s and '70s, many of which are still being reissued to this day. B)

IIRC from reading in Tim Boyd's book, this was to be the last NEW (formely unreleased) kit to be introduced under the MPC label. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I suppose that is correct.

This kit, whether the MPC or AMT version, was never a true annual.

I'm not sure when this kit was first produced, but it was under the MPC moniker.

The "annual" '69 Olds 442 was produced by Johan I believe.

Steve

5 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

Great work on this rare kit Steve. I will be following this one closely!

2 hours ago, mrm said:

This is getting better and better every time I take a peak. 

Thanks guys.

I hope to get some more work done on it this week.......when I'm not dealing with a car that the starter has apparently taken a dump on! :angry:

Steve

6 hours ago, Bucky said:

Looking good in its undercoat!

I agree!

At the beginning of the build (in your post on Oct. 6th) it looked to me as if you would go for drilling the molded-in door handles open. Now they are gone. Have you changed your mind and use separate ones instead?

Edited by Tommy124

10 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

I agree!

At the beginning of the build (in your post on Oct. 6th) it looked to me as if you would go for drilling the molded-in door handles open. Now they are gone. Have you changed your mind and use separate ones instead?

Yes.

Drilling one of them out was just an experiment.

I have several sets of the very nice Fireball Modelworks GM Door handles that I really planned on using from the onset.

I just wanted to try drilling them out.

Seems it might be a viable option for some project down the road.

Steve

Been spending the day finding some acceptable wheels and tires and working on a little refining here and there.

The wheels were taken from an old Johan annual and the tires are Good Years.

Same tires that were offered in the AMT '70 Monte Carlo kit.

The wheels have been primed, along with the hood.

A second coat will be forth coming after some sanding on the hood.

I have also decided that the kit suspension springs will be discarded and replaced with wire springs.

I added some "attachment points"  for the springs to the rear axle as well.

image.thumb.jpeg.39638002ffd6fdabbc1812e6c4390c7d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8754cec0c0556340bed52d7948192b9c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9f67c71376fd9aecff01f1dda11e4e98.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f201edb28006d736384bf9fbd2e1acfb.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I finally am at the point where I can begin throwing some color around, and being as we are smack dab in the middle of a major snow storm here in west central Minnesota, it's a perfect opportunity to spend some time at the bench! :P

I got the saddle color and a coat of clear on the interior parts, as well as some medium brown on the front half of the dash and rear package shelf.

I also got some black shot on the engine bay area.

That will get one coat of clear during the course of clear coating the body to give it more of a matte finish.

The top will get masked off and painted later when all of the painting is done on the body.

I still have not made a hard determination as to what color the top and fender stripe will be.

White was a consideration, but being as I decided to go with a saddle interior, I think black would be more appropriate.

image.thumb.jpeg.2161f1a0d0e54f3b61b8ae1eac904ee4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.836ae00e6e03114b423f979fc8afb162.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.eadf6a7fcb8e791a80157bfd86757da0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d2345dc55b8eec5235ba7decd32bb2e4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fbc613304402161785c91f721643523c.jpeg

Steve