Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Oldsmobile 442 W-30

StevenGuthmiller

1 hour ago, restoman said:

Cool!

Are you scraping them down thinner, or some other bit of wizardry?

I tried it once, but... yep... broke them.

Just whittled them down with a #11 blade close to the thickness desired and then filed and sanded them.

I did run into a snag though.

I discovered that the '67 power steering pump set up is incorrect for the '68.

The pump sits too high and interferes with the intake tubing.

The pump is also a different shape.

I have the correct pump but couldn't really find a better pulley and belt set up, so I modified the one that I have to sit lower.

A little more modification will be necessary to add the correct pump and a possible bracket.

image.thumb.jpeg.3555347283e596094f5c9b33ec83018c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.229030f53d82b3be451e1ca23c9dbceb.jpeg

Steve

Nice work on the engine parts , the ps pump and dipstick are little things but will really make a difference on the finished engine .  I've been thinning my fan belts for a long time by using a tiny file and shaping the underside in a "V" , very easy and I've never broken a belt ! :)

1 minute ago, TooOld said:

Nice work on the engine parts , the ps pump and dipstick are little things but will really make a difference on the finished engine .  I've been thinning my fan belts for a long time by using a tiny file and shaping the underside in a "V" , very easy and I've never broken a belt ! :)

I thought about the "V" in the belt after I had already done most of the thinning.

Maybe I'll try that next time. ;)

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much guys!

I've still been spending the majority of my bench time prepping chassis parts for paint, as well as fabricating a few little detail parts.

In this case, the brackets for the power steering pump and the alternator.

image.jpeg.1acebb52e9e7aa739eab6663d459843c.jpeg

image.jpeg.afe037179ff03473de36d896245680f5.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Great work, Steve. I have been enjoying watching this come together. The other day, I was thinking about the fabulous work you've done with the air cleaner, and burnished a small piece of tooling aluminum over a similar one I had in the parts boxes, and thought that I should post it, in case you were interested in making one for your Olds. It only took maybe five minutes. I didn't trim it very well, because I just wanted to see how well it would burnish. Anyway, in case you're interested...

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

Great work, Steve. I have been enjoying watching this come together. The other day, I was thinking about the fabulous work you've done with the air cleaner, and burnished a small piece of tooling aluminum over a similar one I had in the parts boxes, and thought that I should post it, in case you were interested in making one for your Olds. It only took maybe five minutes. I didn't trim it very well, because I just wanted to see how well it would burnish. Anyway, in case you're interested...

Thanks Daniel, but I've already got the air cleaner covered, so to speak. :D

I saved the original chrome cover.

image.jpeg.a00006c657404721aa1ec06d5e49d8ae.jpeg

Steve

On 12/22/2019 at 1:34 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Just whittled them down with a #11 blade close to the thickness desired and then filed and sanded them.

I did run into a snag though.

I discovered that the '67 power steering pump set up is incorrect for the '68.

The pump sits too high and interferes with the intake tubing.

The pump is also a different shape.

I have the correct pump but couldn't really find a better pulley and belt set up, so I modified the one that I have to sit lower.

A little more modification will be necessary to add the correct pump and a possible bracket.

image.thumb.jpeg.3555347283e596094f5c9b33ec83018c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.229030f53d82b3be451e1ca23c9dbceb.jpeg

Steve

Enjoying your progress on this build. 
Your engine is actually like a smaller model all by itself. The details really make a difference. 

4 hours ago, Brutalform said:

Enjoying your progress on this build. 
Your engine is actually like a smaller model all by itself. The details really make a difference. 

Thanks Tom!

The engine is beginning to look a little better than the photos that you re-posted above. ;)

Still a lot of little stuff to do, but it's taking shape.

image.jpeg.b4d7de1f37d65da5e45f448ad802e0fb.jpeg

image.jpeg.7eb47780f75c24741ab81ebcaf62b37b.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller