Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Oldsmobile 442 W-30

StevenGuthmiller

Thanks so much guys!!

A few more small steps accomplished today.

I got the rear wheel wells "Back in Black" as they apparently should be.    (A little homage to AC/DC there) :P

I also got the console plate finished, (after a couple of failed attempts). :rolleyes:

And I got the carpet laid down.

image.jpeg.7562bb0b790f25d47d7de7c58d24e88c.jpeg

image.jpeg.4204f4196e483541102d7fc32362587f.jpeg

image.jpeg.548dc80bd2a0a856c5af41ed1aef165d.jpeg

Steve

50 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks guys!!

I believe that the interior is finished!

image.jpeg.8428f6eb9e243a26ab8ab53f9442a5ef.jpeg

Steve

Steve, I'm surprised you didn't thin the steering wheel spokes on the backside, and then open up the slots. It's not that difficult, just careful and tedious--I've done it on a couple "special" Corvette projects but I admit I don't do it routinely, I just put black in there as you did. But then most of my builds these days aren't anywhere near as nice as this Olds of yours. B)

9 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Steve, I'm surprised you didn't thin the steering wheel spokes on the backside, and then open up the slots. It's not that difficult, just careful and tedious--I've done it on a couple "special" Corvette projects but I admit I don't do it routinely, I just put black in there as you did. But then most of my builds these days aren't anywhere near as nice as this Olds of yours. B)

I actually did look through my stash to find a steering wheel that was more accurate, but the only one that I had was from the Revell '66 GTO kit, but that was already used for my '67 Bonneville build, and it was after the fact anyway.

This is one of those circumstances where I didn't catch it until it was too late and the steering wheel was already painted.

That plus the fact that this is the original Johan steering wheel and it was very brittle and already had a crack in it that needed to be repaired.

It might not have been a good candidate for any major modifications.

There is the possibility that I might pull it back out and see if I can somehow manage to work something out with it, but probably not likely.

Steve

As many times as I've viewed and reviewed your buildup / resto of this 1968 4-4-2 ; as long as I've been admiring your progress over the months ( 26/09/2019 commencement ! ) , I cannot believe that I haven't given accolades until today !

Not only is that Olds 400 cube engine a work of art in its self , but that interior is beyond adjectives ! I can practically smell that interior ( Oldsmobile of this era have a distinctive , wonderous odour to them ) !  Of course , the body and its finish and its colours are simply amazing ! 

Keep 'em coming , Herr Güthmiller ! 

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Okay Snake.......This is YOUR fault!!! :lol:

As I was afraid of, the steering wheel cracked in two places as I attempted this alteration.

Luckily, the breaks were in spots that should be easy to repair.

image.jpeg.dd4e0eae3870b40cfb0e7173ae95bb82.jpeg

image.jpeg.f9ab3967f074371950ab5bdd6e02d556.jpeg

Steve

42 minutes ago, moparfarmer said:

Its nice to see the progress on the net because it larger and can see the workmanship put into the car..The work by Steve is unreal..It will be a very nice to see this project complete and on the table at NNL North in May in Bloomington Mn..Excellent progress so far..

I hope to have this finished by then Wayne.

Shouldn't be terribly difficult.

It will be a little strange for me this year not having anything on the "factory stock" table.

The Olds will be on the "muscle car" table, and I will bring my '65 Plymouth Fury for the "street machine" category.

That will be about it this year. 

Steve