Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Oldsmobile 442 W-30

StevenGuthmiller

Thanks guys!

Today I added the steering wheel to the interior.

Now it's finished........I promise! :D

image.jpeg.29b4ed59a126d1aad29fe559cb34a3f1.jpeg

image.jpeg.d4c91a52b47325c05e8bb1f408fdb7f9.jpeg

image.jpeg.fe189e97dc29e4cc5fb44ae9931697a6.jpeg

I also finished the foiling on the body, did a few minor touch-ups, and darkened the panel lines.

Now I will move on to the inside of the roof and the glass.

image.jpeg.a18ee55ab5a10fa8eee0069d78c5fd7d.jpeg

image.jpeg.964199e5edd58412b6c150a99063a690.jpeg

image.jpeg.7eb7013493b36538fa9c1f6b5c504089.jpeg

Steve

Thanks fellas!

21 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The steering wheel modification is a wonderful improvement , Steve .  

That had to be no small feat -- reworking a brittle piece , installing it , then removing it to open its spokes ! 

WOW ! 

Definitely a pearl in this diamond world !

Yes John, I was a little worried about removing it once it was glued in place, but luckily I used 2 part epoxy and the glue was not fully hardened when I decided to take it out.

I tried my best to take my time and be very careful as I re-worked the spokes, and luckily I had no major mishaps other than the cracks in the rim.

I guess the modeling gods had my back this time. ;)

Steve

10 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

It's a real shame to hide that interior inside the body. Too bad this isn't a convertible, as the interior looks just excellent.

I've often thought that myself, but I've resigned myself to the philosophy that regardless of whether the model is a hard top or convertible, the interior, like every other aspect of a project, deserves my full attention. ;)

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I've often thought that myself, but I've resigned myself to the philosophy that regardless of whether the model is a hard top or convertible, the interior, like every other aspect of a project, deserves my full attention. ;)

Steve

Better you than me, brother.

53 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Wrong attitude Kevin. :P

Truth be known, I spend the time that I do on interiors, regardless of what they go into, because I love it!!! ;)

Steve

I understand your position and respect it, Steve, but I'm the sort that just wants to blow through a project without undue work, so as to ultimately have something nice looking sitting on the shelf, models that no one (including myself), will ever really pay any serious attention to anyway, once finished. For the time being at least, I'll just enjoy the painstaking efforts yourself and a few others here do, while I continue to crash through my curbsides, as is my natural tendency.

Edited by Roadrunner

26 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I understand your position and respect it, Steve, but I'm the sort that just wants to blow through a project without undue work, so as to ultimately have something nice looking sitting on the shelf, models that no one (including myself), will ever really pay any serious attention to anyway, once finished. For the time being at least, I'll just enjoy the painstaking efforts yourself and a few others here do, while I continue to crash through my curbsides, as is my natural tendency.

I understand completely Kevin.

If you go back and look at some of my curbside builds over the past few years, you'll see that outside of paint and possibly a few other small details, most of those interiors were changed very little from the kit parts.

It's a fairly recent development for me to begin putting more effort into the interiors.

Just sort of a natural progression I guess.

I find myself more and more recognizing the philosophy that "every sub assembly is a model in itself" and I have really been enjoying becoming occupied with exploring what I'm capable of doing with some of my projects.

Not all of them mind you, but I feel some are worthy of the extra attention.

Especially something like this Olds, which is very likely the rarest kit that I have in my collection.

Steve

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

It's a real shame to hide that interior inside the body. Too bad this isn't a convertible, as the interior looks just excellent.

That superb interior may get somewhat hidden but there are folks that that will take the time to peer into the windows and enjoy what they see. Besides that we all get to see it in spades right here on the forum. Someday Steve may decide to go back and figure a way to open the doors. He may even figure a way to install an LED working dome light.

I fully agree that any modeling approach is perfectly acceptable, regardless of my own specific choices/desires. It's painfully obvious to me that car modeling, as a whole, encompasses dozens of different ideas as to what's cool and how much work is desired or required. I actually dwell on very little here, but see the work that Steve does as exceptional, and it's pure pleasure for me to watch his progress, despite my having no current passion to do the same.

56 minutes ago, Flat32 said:

That superb interior may get somewhat hidden but there are folks that that will take the time to peer into the windows and enjoy what they see. Besides that we all get to see it in spades right here on the forum. Someday Steve may decide to go back and figure a way to open the doors. He may even figure a way to install an LED working dome light.

I have thought about opening doors at times, but at this point, it's not one of those things that I feel  the necessity to do.

Undoubtedly, there is no way that I will ever return to this project to open the doors! :D

Steve

41 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I fully agree that any modeling approach is perfectly acceptable, regardless of my own specific choices/desires. It's painfully obvious to me that car modeling, as a whole, encompasses dozens of different ideas as to what's cool and how much work is desired or required. I actually dwell on very little here, but see the work that Steve does as exceptional, and it's pure pleasure for me to watch his progress, despite my having no current passion to do the same.

Perfectly understandable Kevin.

You are never going to see me milling a 1/25th scale engine block from a chunk of aluminum! :P

We all have our own ideas of what is required for a project to be considered acceptable to ourselves.

Steve

On 2/13/2020 at 7:19 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Okay Snake.......This is YOUR fault!!! :lol:

As I was afraid of, the steering wheel cracked in two places as I attempted this alteration.

Luckily, the breaks were in spots that should be easy to repair.

image.jpeg.dd4e0eae3870b40cfb0e7173ae95bb82.jpeg

image.jpeg.f9ab3967f074371950ab5bdd6e02d556.jpeg

Steve

Just found this post after seeing the revised interior in the other thread. 

Now, aren't you glad you went ahead and did this? You KNOW that every time you looked in there for the rest of your life and saw that solid steering wheel, it would haunt you! B)

You're welcome! B)

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Just found this post after seeing the revised interior in the other thread. 

Now, aren't you glad you went ahead and did this? You KNOW that every time you looked in there for the rest of your life and saw that solid steering wheel, it would haunt you! B)

You're welcome! B)

After reading my initial post Snake, I realized that I made it sound like breaking the steering wheel in a couple of places was "your fault".

What I meant was, it was your fault that I was attempting to alter it in the first place! :D

But in retrospect, I'm glad that you brought it up. ;)

This is part of the reason why I love "On the Bench" build threads!

Believe it or not, after I finished it for the second time, I began lamenting the fact that I didn't go farther and separate the steering column and grind out and replace the horn button.

These items will very possibly be on my mind for the next project. ^_^

Steve

After reading my initial post Snake, I realized that I made it sound like breaking the steering wheel in a couple of places was "your fault".

What I meant was, it was your fault that I was attempting to alter it in the first place! :D

Oh I knew that. No problem! B)

But in retrospect, I'm glad that you brought it up. ;)

I knew you would be! B)