Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Oldsmobile 442 W-30

StevenGuthmiller

Thanks so much everyone!!

I really appreciate it.

I thought people might like to see a few shots of how the interior window trim scheme worked out.

It's difficult to get a camera in there of course, and it's not perfect by any means, but it did help to make the interior roof area look a little more realistic than the obligatory windshield and back glass attached with a pair of runners that you see in these old annuals.

image.jpeg.7c67d0a9d604a5bdf90e4e20afd139b5.jpeg

image.jpeg.8700af28a387f307f035a2635a62db91.jpeg

image.jpeg.6c54908e8bf26e92fad116246293afbd.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Thanks so much John and Steve!!

There was one more item that I felt needed addressing before I finished the final assembly phase of this project.

The front bumper/grille of the '68 and '69 Olds 442s differ slightly, and as a number of the parts for this build came from the MPC '69 kit, the area between the back of the grille and the front of the radiator brace panel leave a portion of that area appearing unfinished.

I decided that a pair of scratch made panels too fill that area would make it look better.

image.jpeg.fef87bc462f7d09afc5472592dbe270c.jpeg

image.jpeg.5f77b6020729e5fc894176c1aaa948fe.jpeg

image.jpeg.b870ee587219e31643e1a770babfc35a.jpeg

I also finished the detailing on the underside of the hood.

image.jpeg.b9e79e7a17db59911e07f1c046c43eb7.jpeg

Next will be a quick polish, and then the finishing touches can be added to complete the model.

Steve

Hi Steve. thank you for posting this build... it is truly a masterpiece. Your workmanship is second to none and is also a valuable asset to everyone that builds a model kit. I have been building models for almost 25 years and can recognize a masters work, and you Sir are one of them. Please keep them coming. It is very inspiring to all of us.

Best regards, Steve

Thanks so much Anton and Steve!

It's been a great journey completing this build.

It's finally finished after 5 1/2 months of effort!

For all that might be interested, keep an eye on the "Under Glass" section.

I will post photos there soon.

I'd like to take one final opportunity to thank everyone who offered a helping hand or materials on this build.

It couldn't have bee completed as is without your help!

A special thank you to Claes Ericsson who provided this rare and wonderful kit to me in the first place, and of course, to Bob Spedding for providing the wonderful decals necessary to complete this model as close as possible as it would have appeared in life!

Thanks gents!!

You're true friends!

See you all in the under glass section! B)

Steve

image.jpeg.1a343b42d88aa285d3a57a8386c32714.jpeg

48 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

See you all in the under glass section!

Soooooo!      What may you have up your sleeve for a rare & OOP next master piece. .... Mister Wizard?    

Edited by Khils

58 minutes ago, Khils said:

Soooooo!      What may you have up your sleeve for a rare & OOP next master piece. .... Mister Wizard?    

24 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

I'll be looking for what's coming next, like Kevin says?

For my next trick, an AMT 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix. :P

I plan on doing another full detail build with this one, utilizing the chassis from the AMT '62 Catalina kit.

The engine will be a tri-carb 389 or 421 from either the '62 Catalina kit, the Revell '66 GTO, or the Moebius '61 Ventura.

The color will be correct Pontiac "Sunfire Red" with a matching red and white interior.

We'll see how it goes! ^_^

Steve

37 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I plan on doing another full detail build with this one, utilizing the chassis from the AMT '62 Catalina kit.

The engine will be a tri-carb 389 or 421 from either the '62 Catalina kit, the Revell '66 GTO, or the Moebius '61 Ventura.

The color will be correct Pontiac "Sunfire Red" with a matching red and white interior.

Steve

Awesome!  I really enjoyed this, like I enjoy all your builds, and I’m excited to see the next one!  

On 3/18/2020 at 3:43 PM, wisco8 said:

Hi Steve. thank you for posting this build... it is truly a masterpiece. Your workmanship is second to none and is also a valuable asset to everyone that builds a model kit. I have been building models for almost 25 years and can recognize a masters work, and you Sir are one of them. Please keep them coming. It is very inspiring to all of us.

Best regards, Steve

Ditto that!

Crack, another ball over the fence and straight outta the park!

She's a beauty. Reminds me of a blue '68 I tried to buy when I was 13. My dad vetoed the sale (but I've had a soft spot for those ever since) :(

Absolutely beautiful – it’s up there in Juha-land. It probably just would’ve spent its time in a box in a closet at my place. And I’ve got to admit it was a bit of self interest in operation doing this trade, as I knew I’d have a chance to view frequent updates with good storytelling, dealing with progress and the occasional problem to be resolved. And it lasted me for close to half a year.

And that sure beats having it condensed into a format fitting magazine publishing requirements.?

Thank you so much everyone!

As always, I enjoyed working on this project a great deal.

4 hours ago, Claes Ericsson said:

Absolutely beautiful – it’s up there in Juha-land. It probably just would’ve spent its time in a box in a closet at my place. And I’ve got to admit it was a bit of self interest in operation doing this trade, as I knew I’d have a chance to view frequent updates with good storytelling, dealing with progress and the occasional problem to be resolved. And it lasted me for close to half a year.

And that sure beats having it condensed into a format fitting magazine publishing requirements.?

Thank you so much Claes!

Your opinion on this build is more important to me than anything else!

As I said from the beginning, my biggest hope was that I could do this model justice in your eyes, and prove to you that it was worth your while to offer this kit to me in the first place.

It will be one of the absolute highest prized builds in my collection, and I hope that you will approve of the end result.

Again, I thank you for making this model available to me so that I might try my hand at making it the center piece that it deserves to be.

Steve

23 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Been there, done that. The major mistake I made was cutting open the doors and trunk. I love the car though.

On 3/19/2020 at 7:06 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks so much Anton and Steve!

It's been a great journey completing this build.

It's finally finished after 5 1/2 months of effort!

For all that might be interested, keep an eye on the "Under Glass" section.

I will post photos there soon.

I'd like to take one final opportunity to thank everyone who offered a helping hand or materials on this build.

It couldn't have bee completed as is without your help!

A special thank you to Claes Ericsson who provided this rare and wonderful kit to me in the first place, and of course, to Bob Spedding for providing the wonderful decals necessary to complete this model as close as possible as it would have appeared in life!

Thanks gents!!

You're true friends!

See you all in the under glass section! B)

Steve

image.jpeg.1a343b42d88aa285d3a57a8386c32714.jpeg

Best one of those I have ever seen.