Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Oldsmobile 442 W-30


StevenGuthmiller

Recommended Posts

Hi Steve, great detailing work!

I am myself in the final stages of completing the '69 AMT Olds 442 kit, but not remotely to a level of detailing somewhere near as your build is. 

Great idea and inspiration to use Evergreen stuff for making door panel details. I will definitely use that method in the future, thanks for sharing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, 66belair said:

Your work is amazing, with the detail you have put into this I think my mind has been blown.

 

13 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Hi Steve, great detailing work!

I am myself in the final stages of completing the '69 AMT Olds 442 kit, but not remotely to a level of detailing somewhere near as your build is. 

Great idea and inspiration to use Evergreen stuff for making door panel details. I will definitely use that method in the future, thanks for sharing!

 

6 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Nice touch with the brackets on the air cleaner. Would've never thought of that one.

Thanks guys.

 

Progress has slowed a little on this project for the past couple of weeks.

Have a few other things that are taking precedence over building.

 

I have managed to take on a few boring things that I felt really didn't need posting, but since a couple of you have bumped this thread back up, here is what I have accomplished recently.

 

 

Added some inner fender well detail.

image.thumb.jpeg.d3cf6b64f5e2de7dac16be0e9651b059.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.51601fe55e7daa304d1406c82006a4e1.jpeg

 

 

 

I also decided to begin boxing in the hollow front frame rails.

Just another little thing that was bugging me that could stand correcting.

image.thumb.jpeg.382f5617d5ab74c6bb1e4382e2eeaa6f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9f974f2ce5aace10aefad25ba8cda5d7.jpeg

 

 

 

 

 

Other than that, I've mainly been focusing on chassis and firewall fit.

I will also be adding some fender well and firewall wiring in the near future.

 

 

 

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

I always enjoy watching guys build, who are as nuts as I am. Love all the little details you're implementing, Steve. Very fine craftsmanship, sir!

Fully agree!

@Steve, may I ask: are you keeping the molded-in windscreen wipers or are you going to sand them down and use aftermarket stuff? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Fully agree!

@Steve, may I ask: are you keeping the molded-in windscreen wipers or are you going to sand them down and use aftermarket stuff? 

I will likely just leave the wipers that are already present.

I can't see spending a lot of extra money just for a set of wipers.

These examples are not terrible anyway. :)

 

 

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I can't see spending a lot of extra money just for a set of wipers.

These examples are not terrible anyway. :)

I hear you! I foiled mine yesterday and they look okay to me too (they look pretty similar to the Jo-Han kit IMHO):

IMG_0360.JPG.ebbdaf8c0203f750fd3546c3d750c0b1.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

That inner fender detail was a good thought. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at a build (my own included) and thought to myself that something was missing in the engine compartment. 

I like to look at as many photos as possible, and anything that jumps out at me that looks as if it is something that I can manage to do to enhance the appearance under the hood, I will at least contemplate trying.

 

 

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

I hear you! I foiled mine yesterday and they look okay to me too (they look pretty similar to the Jo-Han kit IMHO):

IMG_0360.JPG.ebbdaf8c0203f750fd3546c3d750c0b1.JPG

Not to be too much of a pain in the back side Thomas, but the area where the vents are should be painted black, and the entire windshield plate where the wipers are should be all chrome.

Just thought that information might be helpful.

 

 

image.png.fadaa342460b38788e7d05dfde56d4fb.png

image.png.b3768a0326f2127ba79c507e66d03a83.png

 

 

 

 

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beautiful work here Steven.

I know the 68 W30 motor.  I added an Edelbrock intake and Holley too, but went back to the Quadrajet because it sounded so good when the gas pedal was floored!  Geez, what a sound. I didn't notice any performance difference.

The motor color above...well,  I remember it as being more golden.  I suppose you'll chrome the dual inlet air cleaner...?

Excellent work!

Mike..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mike Williams said:

Beautiful work here Steven.

I know the 68 W30 motor.  I added an Edelbrock intake and Holley too, but went back to the Quadrajet because it sounded so good when the gas pedal was floored!  Geez, what a sound. I didn't notice any performance difference.

The motor color above...well,  I remember it as being more golden.  I suppose you'll chrome the dual inlet air cleaner...?

Excellent work!

Mike..

The base of the dual snorkel air cleaner will be black.

The lid will be chrome with an "Oldsmobile 442" decal.

My new best friend Bob Spedding was good enough to make the decals for me.

Can't wait to show them off! ;)

 

 

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Not to be too much of a pain in the back side Thomas, but the area where the vents are should be painted black, and the entire windshield plate where the wipers are should be all chrome.

Just thought that information might be helpful.

It IS indeed, many thanks, Steve! I have already corrected the part that should be black. Although it's not my favorite act to mask off and spray-paint a body that's basically fully painted and foiled - but it did work out. :rolleyes: I will take care of the chromed windshield plate aswell. I consider using two different kinds of BMF for the wipers and the plate in order not to make it all look like a big piece of chrome... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I managed to find a little time at the bench today while I tried to distract myself from the terrible first half that the Minnesota Vikings played!! :blink:

 

I finished boxing in the frame rails and added some fender well and firewall wiring and plumbing.

If I'm not careful, I might have to start doing some painting soon! :P

 

image.thumb.jpeg.969d1ba29fbdc98b6bdb6542c3af82cd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.331916692ab1f797f9f55e24adb27d6d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.01263e57e6bea22fe6198f0dda96550c.jpeg

 

 

 

Steve

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, gearhedjon said:

Are you building your car to be a W30 car or a "base" 442. I asked because the W30 cars had red inner fender liners and can be seen in the engine compartment

Yes, it will be a W-30, and yes, the wheel wells will be painted red.

I'm basically using all of the guts from the MPC '69 W-30 kit.

 

 

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I'm basically using all of the guts from the MPC '69 W-30 kit.

...which is the same kit like the AMT kit I'm currently building, if I remember that correctly from Tim Boyd's book... I'm looking forward to see you start painting, Steve! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...