Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dick Landy's '68 440 Dart

Tyler62990

As part of a group build for the club I'm a part of, this is the kit I decided on for the theme being "Cars That Ran Englishtown Raceway Park". The theme is for an upcoming show we will be hosting in Allentown, PA. (I'll post more information on that for anyone who may be interested)

Researching cars that ran that particular track in the old days was a particularly difficult task, but nothing compared to finding info on this particular car. It seems everyone has info on the Hemi that Landy ran, but not the 440 that Revell made a kit after. Given that fact, I'm going to wing it on a few aspects of the model. That being said, if anyone has any pics of the 440 he ran, I certainly wouldn't mind if you shared them lol. 

Well, this is the starting line (pun absolutely intended) I guess. I'm starting the basic prep work like subassemblies, deepening panel lines, stripping a little chrome, etc. Hoping to start getting some paint laid over the weekend.

IMG_20190927_024920616.jpg

Got some gray goo laid down today. I was originally going to use a black primer, but Landy's cars appear to be a brighter silver, so gray should work good for the undercoat. I must say, it's a joy working with gray primer as opposed to my usual white. Being able to actually see how much you're putting down makes life soooo much easier lol

IMG_20190928_022038555.jpg

1968 SS/EA class car. 440 auto, fender well headers . yet had the full exhaust still mounted

Black interior bucket seats, aftermkt shifter  auto on the floor but no console

I have a magazine around here some where with more info. I will be in the garage the rest of the day,, If I get a chance I  will see if I can dig any other info up

68DartSS1968Irwindaleontrailer-vi.jpg

4458010293_d687d6a940_o.jpg

h6150242.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

3 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

1968 SS/EA class car. 440 auto, fender well headers . yet had the full exhaust still mounted

Black interior bucket seats, aftermkt shifter  auto on the floor but no console

I have a magazine around here some where with more info. I will be in the garage the rest of the day,, If I get a chance I  will see if I can dig any other info up

68DartSS1968Irwindaleontrailer-vi.jpg

4458010293_d687d6a940_o.jpg

h6150242.jpg

You're a gentleman and a scholar, sir. Thank you. If you do manage to dig up more info, I'd definitely appreciate it. It seems like Revell got it right with the auto 440, but only mention the fenderwell headers. Good thing they included the full exhaust in the kit lol. The buckets are also in there, but the interior floor calls for the console. I'm undecided on whether or not I want to go through the trouble of fixing that. The only other inaccuracies I can see going off of the pictures is the hood trim vents are supposedly red, but appear black on the real car. The brake drums also appear to be painted red, but interestingly enough, the kit doesn't even provide brakes. The wheels just mount to the axle. I understand the real focus of racing is to go as fast as possible, but I would think being able to stop may be of some interest lol

IMG_20190929_201817416.jpg

IMG_20190929_201910666.jpg

4 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Just make sure to sand the top of the roof smooth, cuz remember that my copy of this kit showed the engraved remains of the vinyl top from the GSS release.

I "think" the Landy 440 Dart uses the same 1968 body as the  Hemi Dart. aka no molded in vinyl top

I would ck, but the only 68 Dart kits I have on hand are the Hemi car or the Norm car

6 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Just make sure to sand the top of the roof smooth, cuz remember that my copy of this kit showed the engraved remains of the vinyl top from the GSS release.

I think gtx is right. Mine was perfectly smooth on top, same as my 68 Hemi kit. I'm thinking someone swapped the body on you or Revell's quality control was out to lunch. Not exactly unheard of. I once got a 57 Chevy body in a 56 Del Ray kit straight from the hobby shop.

Well, tonight I learned that Plastikote T-18 is an enamel primer. The good news is, I figured that out while applying duplicolor over a Mustang I'm working on. The bad news is, both cars were primed with the T-18. I guess I should have realized that when it was sanding so easily, but having it written somewhere on the can probably would've worked a little better. At least the purple pond should take care of both overnight. Stripping enamel sure is easier than lacquer. Thanks for the very helpful labeling and instructions, Plastikote.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so after getting frustrated with my paint mishap and walking away for a bit, I decided to get back at it. The body's been reprimed and painted and is just waiting for its clear coat. Don't mind my filthy paint booth, I'm kind of a slob lol. Anyway, I also started chipping away at the engine and can call it done with the exception of the air cleaner.

IMG_20191014_201721270_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191020_181552720.jpg

IMG_20191020_181615035.jpg