Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1959 Chrysler Imperial

randyc

Box stock.  I used HPIguy's paint technique of couple quick coats of primer, couple quick coats of color, let it all dry.  Straight from can.  I think it turned out well and displays great.  Pay no mind to the giant water drop.  Didn't see it at the time.  I do love how easily these make great display models.  This will look fabulous in a case from a few feet away. 

I got a set of embossing powders that included this light blue.  Worked great other than my glue cracked.  New glue experiment.  "Tacky glue" from hobby lobby. 

IMG_20190928_091313553.jpg

IMG_20190928_091305143.jpg

IMG_20190928_091258503.jpg

IMG_20190928_091249882.jpg

IMG_20190928_091244009.jpg

IMG_20190928_091238237.jpg

2 hours ago, peekay said:

That's a real beauty, great colour scheme!

What did you do to the headlight lenses? They look pretty much like glass from here.

I *think* I colored them in with a silver sharpie.  Then rubbed that off leaving the silver in the recesses.  Then I put a large drop off Kristal kleer in each and let it dry facing up so they would dry like a lens.  Best I can remember.  Been a few weeks.  

Thanks for the compliment

2 hours ago, bbowser said:

Very nice!  Must have been a bear to foil.

I do foil in straight strips.  Not too bad.  There is a seam in the rockers a little below the top.  Windshield is several pieces.  Some molotow as well.  Inside the fins and one of the vent wings.  Coincidentally, I broke one of those of and one is not there.  Like Franklin mint used to do.  You really can't tell. 

Thanks for the compliments.  I really wanted a cinnamon color, but the turquoise was so 50s that I couldn't resist.  Plus I had turquoise on hand.  

Next time I do one similar, I'll try foiling the little emblems before painting.  See if that works out.  

I also made the top where I can snap it in too.  Need to work on the rear window some, get it to fit. But the convertible looks so good.  

Edited by randyc

3 hours ago, randyc said:

I *think* I colored them in with a silver sharpie.  Then rubbed that off leaving the silver in the recesses.  Then I put a large drop off Kristal kleer in each and let it dry facing up so they would dry like a lens.  Best I can remember.  Been a few weeks

Thanks Randy, I'll give that a try.