Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wats up?

Not sure how it works, but I believe the ads are driven by profiling. I have many times seen ads for products or services that I had recently searched information on , so I may not see the same ads you do.

Right now, I have an ad for Disoverflagstaff.com in the upper banner. I live in Phoenix, and like food/travel etc, so the  ad is close. I mostly get automotive stuff.

Do you share your computer? If you do, their searches may impact what you get offered. If you look in the upper right corner of the ad banner, you will see this little "A". image.png.89e6cdc320d3a3bfd93c5d8c58e6f998.pngIf you scroll over that, it will display AdChoices.

Click that, and it will give you options to change what you see.This is what I see after clicking it...

image.png.9aa05f71b202352b5b70e9613565ea14.png

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark
added details and pics

Modeler Mark has a good point. Lately we have listed our home with a realtor in hopes of selling and down sizing where we live. I have also been looking on line for what a yard storage shed kit may cost since I'll still need a place for mowers and such. Now the pop ups that I see on this forum are about houses for sale in our area and mower sheds, go figure. These same types of ads show up on the main screen on the computer when I'm just trying to read the news. It's sort of like a Vulcan mind meld.  

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Technically, the ads that appear are based on browsing history and the other sites you visit. They're supposed to be based on yoru computer.

WHen I log in from work, it's all ads for auto manufacturers.

At home, it's all for Ukrainian brides and lingerie. lolz

So, any hot babes pics you wanna share? LOL!

18 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

So, any hot babes pics you wanna share? LOL!

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Man, I'm not getting any of that. What a gyp. :D

Well, I understand the Ukranian part. My wife is of UK descent, and she does that geneology stuff, so I get that. No idea how that translates into purchasing a bride or the lingerie though. 

I'm digging in to the lingerie part and researching, as that is very interesting to me.

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Well, I understand the Ukranian part. My wife is of UK descent, and she does that geneology stuff, so I get that. No idea how that translates into purchasing a bride or the lingerie though. 

I'm digging in to the lingerie part and researching, as that is very interesting to me.

At this particular time, I wouldn't get involved in ANYTHING Ukranian. Just sayin'. :unsure:

On 9/28/2019 at 8:49 PM, george 53 said:

Ok, I've been gone for a while now, and when I got back, I notice all these adds for dateing Asian women, or some kinda pest control adds. What this all about? I honestly think this is rather out of place on a model car forum. When did this start and why?

Ads for dating Asian women....LOL... I get ads for guitar stomp pedals....I'm pretty boring! -RRR

I feel like I'm missing a lot of good stuff. Just now got some of the car pop ups and the up coming Mecum guitar auction, but mostly sexy senior ladies looking for excitement. I guess they figured out I'm not a young pup anymore. 

6 hours ago, Draggon said:

I viewed the thread "model dating" by Gramps46. Now I'm being bombarded with ads from Asiandate.com. 

You mean like the "Lonely Thai Beauties"?  If they're lonely, there's something wrong in Thailand.

I suggest you guys find search engines like duck duck go  that do not track you.  They do not reveal your ip address to any site where you search  Do not know if it wil! stop pop ups on sites like this one that can just be ignored.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

As much as I enjoy a good dig at people, I too saw an ad for an Asian dating website. However I have never looked, search or anything like that ever. Not dating or anything. It's a work phone too so it's a double no on that. Literally the only thing I look at on my phone Is this site, hockey, star wars and warcraft.

edit. Now I'm getting ads for womans leggings and bras. Maybe if you dont have enough targeted ads they just give random. Also ll bean clothing. 

edit2, the ads are also way more intrusive now. I get a popup ad when I enter general, and one hovering at the top of my screen at all times. Even if I hide it, it pops up when it switches ads. It reminds me of those old free hosting sites like geocities where you got 40% ads on your page. Ads are pretty heavy now. Dare I say 200% too much

Edited by youpey

I feel like it's bound to have been mentioned before, but has the idea of an optional donation to the running costs of the site been considered before?

I'm sure a lot of us would be happy to spend a couple bucks a month to have a little "Donator" title under their name and be able to remove the ads.