Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aerovette by Revell/Monogram

89AKurt

Aerovette produced by Revell/Monogram 1/25 scale (when they made the hated folding boxes), WIP thread.  Built Box Stock, with some changes of colors, most notable it's not silver (where is the DUH emoticon?).  Very basic, no opening anything, not steerable, no pedals or wipers, few parts but very well engineered and molded.  The tires are toxic, melted on the rear window; this forum is great, Dann in Phoenix gave me a good one (which had tiny melt on a corner but isn't visible).  I added some details, such as stainless steel dash trim and paper headliner, drilled exhaust tips.  The decals had no adhesive and were yellowed, used Elmers clear glue to stick down.   It went together really well, but the last step was gluing the bumpers on that have no locator pins or tabs (I would add tabs next time), was dicey, got some glue boogers.  Painted with nail color (polish is incorrect term) from Family Dollar.  I *had to* build this because Chevrolet finally came out with a mid-engine Vette, 46 years later. ?

DSC_0826.JPG

DSC_0823.JPG

DSC_0818.JPG

DSC_0827.JPG

DSC_0828.JPG

DSC_0825.JPG

13 hours ago, ToyLvr said:

I like it! That color looks good on it.....

Thanks!

6 hours ago, TooOld said:

Took some guts not to paint it silver . . . good for you !  It looks great in blue ! :D

? I'm so bad...... that's what is fun about models, sacrilege without getting punished. 

4 hours ago, cobraman said:

Looks great ! Never saw a better one.

Thanks!  Ever see another one get built? ?

4 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Good job Kurt, Its a cool kit and your choice of color is great.

Thank you.  Appreciate the comment.

4 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Well done indeed.  How appropriate as you mentioned with the introduction of the C8, they will make an interesting pair.

Thanks!  I don't plan to build the new one, have too many other kits to build.  But at a contest......

3 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Well done. I thought I was looking at a real car in the first 2.

Thank you.  In a way you are, it's the hood of my '68 Chevy pickup. ?

3 hours ago, espo said:

I followed your build on this and it all came together beautifully. I wouldn't have thought of the light color but it looks great finished.  

Thanks for having the interest.  I have other nail colors in my stash, didn't think a dark color would look appropriate.

14 minutes ago, Danno said:

Beautiful build, Kurt!  No doubt the finest Aerovette model - and Out of Box! Wow!

Looking forward to seeing it in November and again in April!

THANK YOU, thanks again for the rear window.  I noticed a tire had rested in the top edge corner, was wondering if the windshield was ruined in that box.  I also wonder how many of these never get built because of tires wrecking the glass.

Yes will attend IPMS Craig Hewitt show, and of course your show! ?

In case someone didn't see my WIP thread, the dreaded tire melt. ?  If you have one of these kits (or similar Revell/Monogram vintage) still sealed to preserve perceived collectible value, might want to open and check.

DSC_0738_Fotor.jpg

9 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Awesome build!

Thank you too!

9 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Looks great Kurt. 

Good, not bad for a Chevy. ?

44 minutes ago, Rider said:

That really looks awesome in that blue. Another great build Kurt. Well done dude. 

I'm glad it complimented the original silver.  Thank you.

Edited a picture to B&W, close to the same light value, but no sheen that silver has.  Makes me wonder how it would look in black.
837885761_DSC_0827BW.jpg.cb6b2e4d31c548029455ca0e0db60aa1.jpg

5 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Thank you too!

Good, not bad for a Chevy. ?

I'm glad it complimented the original silver.  Thank you.

Edited a picture to B&W, close to the same light value, but no sheen that silver has.  Makes me wonder how it would look in black.
837885761_DSC_0827BW.jpg.cb6b2e4d31c548029455ca0e0db60aa1.jpg

This might answer your question. Not exactly black, but a very dark red with a lighter red fogged on the bottom. Its the 1/20 version. Don't know who made the kit. 

DSC06749.JPG

DSC06751.JPG

6 hours ago, Peter Lombardo said:

Very well done, now this car is a real fore-runner of the New Vette's coming, with the rear engine.  Nice job.

Thank you, that's what inspired me to knock this out.

6 hours ago, drodg said:

I love it.  Great job

Thank you too!

3 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

This might answer your question. Not exactly black, but a very dark red with a lighter red fogged on the bottom. Its the 1/20 version. Don't know who made the kit. 

DSC06749.JPG

DSC06751.JPG

Cool!  Thanks for posting that.  That 1/20 model, no louvered glass window, wheel center caps, but it has windshield wipers.

11 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Thank you, that's what inspired me to knock this out.

Thank you too!

Cool!  Thanks for posting that.  That 1/20 model, no louvered glass window, wheel center caps, but it has windshield wipers.

I remember now...Lindbergh made that kit. Pretty rude and crude..just the basics. I built these in 2004.