Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Other Magazine Forum

8 hours ago, Rodent said:

I stopped visiting when they made the format change. It's too much of a PITA to just see the new posts in a thread. Plus, I got tired of the whiners and bullies.

The three picture rule was for the folks on dialup (is that still a thing?) IIRC.

Same here... I do not like the format

14 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

I am happy here on MCM Forums....... not wanting to go elsewhere, thank you.

David

Don't blame you at all.  I look at the other one about four times a year when I cannot sleep so I'm sure to doze off. ?

Edited by vamach1

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

Don't blame you at all.  iBook at the other one about four times a year when I cannot sleep so I'm sure to doze off. ?

Thanks Rex...... and I just find there are so many interesting topics on here...... many of which help me with whatever current project I am working on. I make sure that as well as posting topics myself, and uploading photos, I also comment on other members' topics when I have something worthwhile to say.

Reading long and detailed descriptions of a particular build by some very skilled member is something that I find very absorbing, and I can always learn something new in the process.

David

On 10/6/2019 at 5:51 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Seriously?

Yep ?

Another funny one - I once accidentally sprayed a little paint on my glasses whilst working on something - it was either Testors or Tamiya, one of the made-for-modellers type products.  Just a little overspray on one of the lenses but I didn’t want to risk ruining them by using the wrong thing to remove it.

I posted a thread on there explaining that I’d sprayed this model paint on my glasses and asked for advice and ideas on what would remove it without damaging the lenses...or at least be friendly to the plastic without resorting to dumping my glasses in the Purple Pond.  I got a message not 15 minutes later saying “this is a modelling forum not an opticians forum” and had my post removed ???

Jim, the reply you got about removing some over spray from your glasses was quite rude. Hopefully the new management over there take a more enlightened view to such questions. As I said in my last post, any forum is only as good as who manages it at any given time. Unfortunately things like that makes it a hard act to put right for a more reasonable guy who has to pick up the baton.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

I approached JH of SA about an article that I had written about a customised Airfix Austin A35 Van to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of IPMS in 2013. He turned it down saying that there was a lot of animosity between car modellers and IPMS.      Funny thing is that MCM embraced the article and ran it in its entirety shortly after.   So much for the animosity between car modellers and IPMS!   I approached JH two or three times more about articles to no avail as I think that he had tunnel vision with regard to the type of model he wanted to feature in SA at the time. I understand that he has now departed and the new editorship has a more liberal view towards subject matter.

Incidentally, the custom van model was shipped to the International Model Car Builders Museum in Sandy Utah who were keen to have it for permanent exhibition earlier this year. I do not know whether it has been placed on display or not yet.

I used to visit the SA forum regularly until 9 years ago when my lengthy post about the contents of the reissued AMT/MPC 1960 Corvette was edited to a few sentences.  I have been visiting the SA forum lately just to follow a very interesting truck build.

10 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Out of pure curiosity, I checked it out this morning. 

Great to see the kind words over there from some of you.

Sarcasm mode off.

I don’t get it...I tried looking at their site to see what the reference was but it wouldn’t load ???

15 minutes ago, carrucha said:

I used to visit the SA forum regularly until 9 years ago when my lengthy post about the contents of the reissued AMT/MPC 1960 Corvette was edited to a few sentences. 

YES!  I totally forgot about that!  The editor at the time would edit the posts too, as though he was editing the magazine!  You’d find “edited for length” or something written at the bottom and 75% of the text in your post would be gone, often leaving it nonsensical and confusing ?.  Unless you were posting about Vega Kammbachs that is..,

Anyway, I’m sure this thread itself will be locked soon as it’s not really relevant to MCM...but it’s fun to remember some of the funny stuff that happened there in the name of moderation.  That’s probably why a fair few of us are here, right?  Their loss, and I’m glad this place exists!

On 10/8/2019 at 11:06 PM, CabDriver said:

YES!  I totally forgot about that!  The editor at the time would edit the posts too, as though he was editing the magazine!  

Would your post now include "I just love (whatever type of car your model is)s!" That was his signature move. :lol:

Edited by Snake45

Lee, it isn't the forums that bash one another but the users!

Those of us old enough might remember the old Highway Patrol series on TV with Broderick Crawford when he used to say at the end of each episode, ' It's not the car that kills but the driver!'. 

Forum use is a bit like that really.