Model Cars Magazine Forum

NNL History Images - note how many of these guys are still active in the hobby today....!

With the last ever NNL Nats coming up in a couple of weeks, wanted to post some historic NNL Invites I found in a file. 

I'll start with the NNL West, then move on to the NNL Nats....ready?  OK, here we go...

A color picture of the original pasted-up invite for the NNL West #1 in October, 1982....PS - those phone numbers don't work any more...! 

NNL West #1 8-82 9-19

A color picture of the original pasted-up invite for the NNL West #2 in January, 1983...

NNL West #2 Invite 9-19

And....a copy of the invitee list and conference room arrangements for NNL West #2.....isn't it amazing how many of these guys are still active in the hobby today?  

NNL West #2 List of Invitees 9-19

Stay tuned for more...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

2 hours ago, Vince Nemanic said:

NNL West #1 was held about two weeks before I was hired for my first teaching position. I lived about five miles from the site and didn't know about it. I met Don Graham Bruce Treadwell and Doane Yawger about three weeks before NNL West #3 in Turlock.

Vince....I remember you from those days but didn't see your name on the list for NNL West #2....now I know why....thanks for clarifying the link....Cheers....TIM..

3 hours ago, vamach1 said:

How cool is it that there are NNL's in Australia and South Africa .  Id would love to hear more about those events.

NNL South Africa still has a website IIRC, the NNL Austraila event morphed somewhat from what I remember and now uses a different event name, but ti's still very big for the Aussies from what I recall....TIM  

Edited by tim boyd

There have been a number of NNLs in Australia but I believe the largest and longest running of them all is the Perth NNL, run by my wife and I and four close mates for twenty years. It was known as Super Model Car Sunday.  We peaked at 1150 models a few years ago and considering that we are known as the most remote capital city on the planet, I reckon we did pretty well. Typically we had about seventy entrants and 600-1000 spectators.  It was a true NNL, with only People's Choice and Modeller's Choice trophies awarded. On four occasions both trophies were won by the same entry!  We did run an informally judged Best Junior model and occasionally gave out special awards for special efforts. There were some great goodie bags and every entrant got a free kit off the infamous Wall of Kits, proudly supported by Ace Radio Control Models and the donations of individual modellers.

Last year we decided to take a break but not wanting to see it die, Rob Rattray and the members of Perth and Districts Model Club found a new venue, renamed it the Model Car Spectacular, and carried on from where our committee left off.  The format closely followed the SMCS organisation with a few minor changes necessitated by it being run by a club.  And how's this, they got 1404 models on the tables in their first effort! The new venue is a basketball court and had enough room for a huge 1/10th scale R/C truck demo as well as tables full of models, dioramas and a swap meet.  Attendance was down a bit but the committee is already looking at better advertising for next year. Roll on the next twenty years!  And the Wall of Kits continued!

The only negative to all this fun is that being over 1500 miles from the nearest capital city, we have only ever attracted three entrants from the East Coast in 21 years.  Otherwise, we could call it the Australian NNL Nationals! 

While I am here I would like to thank Tom Geiger and  Roy Sorenson who gave me the inspiration back in 1996 to start this event. 

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton

17 minutes ago, alan barton said:

There have been a number of NNLs in Australia but I believe the largest and longest running of them all is the Perth NNL, run by my wife and I and four close mates for twenty years. It was known as Super Model Car Sunday.  We peaked at 1150 models a few years ago and considering that we are known as the most remote capital city on the planet, I reckon we did pretty well. Typically we had about seventy entrants and 600-1000 spectators.  It was a true NNL, with only People's Choice and Modeller's Choice trophies awarded. On four occasions both trophies were won by the same entry!  We did run an informally judged Best Junior model and occasionally gave out special awards for special efforts. There were some great goodie bags and every entrant got a free kit of the infamous Wall of Kits, proudly supported by Ace Radio Control Models and the donations of individual modellers.

Last year we decided to take a break but not wanting to see it die, Rob Rattray and the members of Perth and Districts Model Club found a new venue, renamed it the Model Car Spectacular, and carried on from where our committee left off.  The format closely followed the SMCS organisation with a few minor changes necessitated by it being run by a club.  And how's this, they got 1404 models on the tables in their first effort! The new venue is a basketball court and had enough room for a huge 1/10th scale R/C truck demo as well as tables full of models, dioramas and a swap meet.  Attendance was down a bit but the committee is already looking at better advertising for next year. Roll on the next twenty years!  And the Wall of Kits continued!

The only negative to all this fun is that being over 1500 miles from the nearest capital city, we have only ever attracted three entrants from the East Coast in 21 years.  Otherwise, we could call it the Australian NNL Nationals! 

While I am here I would like to thank Tom Geiger and  Roy Sorenson who gave me the inspiration back in 1996 to start this event. 

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan for weighing in with the latest developments....I was hoping you would do so.  Congrats on the transition and best wishes for future events....TIM  

11 minutes ago, Dean Milano said:

Well Ken, I won't need a name tag to recognize you since we're driving together, but I may not recognize anyone else next weekend. Ha!

I will be wearing my red flame shirt with my name tag...and a red Group 25 hat...with my red hair blowing in the wind :) 

1 minute ago, Howard Cohen said:

I will be wearing my red flame shirt with my name tag...and a red Group 25 hat...with my red hair blowing in the wind :) 

I'm afraid the wind has blown off most of my hair over the years, but I'll look forward to seeing you again, Howard. Been quite a while!

2 hours ago, Dean Milano said:

Well Ken, I won't need a name tag to recognize you since we're driving together, but I may not recognize anyone else next weekend. Ha!

We may remember everyone in the vehicle but will we remember where we are going? Scary thought, I think Im the youngest in our group of  4 . Last trip to  the NNL, Luc was the kid in the car.??