Model Cars Magazine Forum

slicing the sea

olsbooks

Just an experiment, but for some time have wanted to build a rough seas scene with a Revell PT boat. Want to replicate speed and also the bow diving hard into a large swell.  Using the lid from a Wendy's salad container, tempera paints, cotton, and some thick clear acrylic called "triple thick" from hobby lobby, it seems to have potential. The boat in this pic is a glue bomb and this was just a test. These cheap clear food containers cut and shape easily.  I've used them in the past for windshields. A hair dryer does wonders to reshape them. Anyway, it's just one more idea to put in the back of our cluttered minds.  For the cost and being a first go around thrown together in ten minutes,, the results aren't bad imo.

Peace.

20190929_074152.jpg

Edited by olsbooks

Now that is really impressive, JC...... you have captured the effect of the bow plunging into the swell, and you have used a rather clever technique also. As you say, this was done quickly, and cheaply too. None of my dioramas so far feature rivers or lakes or the sea, so myself I have not yet experimented with water effects, but it is one more aspect of diorama building that I would like to explore at some point. I keep coming back to the idea of rain falling, and wet roads when I am taking photographs of diorama scenes, and there are several ways of achieving the effect of falling rain, including real water of course.

David

This was just a test.  I'm refining this process now and will have the waves fit a bow in next pix.  Close up, nothing fits on the a above post.  The gaps are blatant eye magnets.  As for the basic idea of going forward with this technique, for me and my budget, patience, and skill level, it's the way to go.  Cost of failure is minuscule.  Give it a try. Very little to lose.

Peace.