Model Cars Magazine Forum

Erosion control - river diorama

thejunkman

I should have started this thread earlier, but just thought of it now after I am over half way through the build.  Here is the progress that I have been making.  I have been live streaming the build so people can easily follow along if they like.

Here is the inspiration

742694154_rivercar.jpg.2afda91427a45007ef5b8dcd633e7da3.jpg

Here is what I started with.

hqdefault.jpg.61c473f357a9c596b8305c60733679cf.jpg

Moving along with some plaster.

1752236379_unnamed(2).jpg.ea707c4b9e2966e0e0f85c000b530a48.jpg

Doing the pour of the resin

1471870919_unnamed(3).jpg.b76ab3988288374181a6c6406feecc52.jpg

Adding some landscaping just before the water highlights.

908023157_unnamed(4).jpg.07d80632b493dcac1e394cca1550c601.jpg

Part 5 and the final part.  I will post nice high quality pictures here when I get around to taking some.  For now you can see how I did the highlights and added some unique details that will keep you staring at it for hours.

20191001_214048.jpg

Edited by thejunkman

3 hours ago, thejunkman said:

Part 5 and the final part.  I will post nice high quality pictures here when I get around to taking some.  For now you can see how I did the highlights and added some unique details that will keep you staring at it for hours.

20191001_214048.jpg

Very well done, JonRodig........... and I like the videos too. You certainly know your water effects!

David

On 10/2/2019 at 1:56 PM, Anglia105E said:

Very well done, JonRodig........... and I like the videos too. You certainly know your water effects!

David

I have never done water before!  This is my first time pouring resin and doing waves or highlights.

On 10/2/2019 at 2:31 PM, landman said:

Absolutely! I concur.

I added a few more details.  I am calling this one completely DONE.  It is sitting on my desk now.

More PICTURES HERE

img-0649_orig.jpg

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

That is very cool!  And your water looks real!

Back in the 1950s and maybe into the 1960s they buried junk cars  off New Jersey beaches as erosion control.  Every so often when there is a hurricane, some of the cars emerge!   

I never knew they buried cars there. Interesting.

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

That is very cool!  And your water looks real!

Back in the 1950s and maybe into the 1960s they buried junk cars  off New Jersey beaches as erosion control.  Every so often when there is a hurricane, some of the cars emerge!   

These are all over in the rivers near where I am.  This was done well into the 70's around these parts.  They are just car bodies, drive lines and interiors were mostly removed.

• 1 month later...

As cool as the finished project is, I really liked it before you added the water and the rest! It looked exactly like one of those overhead news shots in the aftermath of a volcanic eruption, with the pyroclastic flow and volcanic ash just rendering everything in gray tones. Very nicely done anyway!