Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Ford A-Bucket Roadster

Bernard Kron

In early 2016 I built a Rat Rod for the Theme Table of that year’s NNL West. While I’ve built seemingly countless traditional hot rods this was, my and so far, only attempt at a Rat Rod. It was a relatively quick build, taking perhaps 6 weeks at the most, and done on pure instinct since I had zero experience to fall back on. The weathering and the stance were particular areas that were new to me, and yet the whole project went remarkably smoothly. Nearly 4 years later, I still consider it one of my more successful models. Beginner’s luck, I guess…

2019-summary-web.jpg

In any case I’ve always wanted to do a “clean” version of this car, a kind of late 50’s/early 60’s show rod variant with a shiny paint job, lots of chrome and a fancy hopped up .motor. Effectively as exact an opposite of Version 1 as I can muster. This project is my try at Version 2 of this A-Bucket roadster.

The chassis is very similar to Version 1, scratch built from styrene stock, but this time instead of a buggy spring rear suspension and I-beam front axle I’m going with the coil sprung rear end and tubular front axle found in all the various 1/25th scale Revell ’32 Ford kits. Instead of the wide scratch built form fitting fuel tank of the 1st version I’m using this lovely little 3D printed cylindrical tank available from Cjrs Drysdale’s Maple Leaf Modelworks on Shapeways (see: https://www.shapeways.com/product/RAPQ683EW/1-25-oblong-fuel-tank-w-brackets?optionId=63895588&li=user-wishlist ). And the funky (and rusty) wire wheels have been replaced by chrome reversed steelies from and dimpled dome hub caps from the Ed Revell Ed Roth Beatnik Bandit kit at the front. The front tires, however, are the same super-skinny whitewalls from the AMT ’34 Ford 5-window coupe I used the first time around. The rear setup on the new version consists of ultra-cool Lincoln steelies and wide whites just introduced by Ed Fluck at Drag City Casting. The wheels were refinished with Molotow Chrome and trimmed out with the Roth dimpled  dome ‘caps to match the fronts. The motor will be the big chromed Olds v8 from the Beatnik Bandit except instead of the 471 blower it will feature a half dozen SP-topped Stromberg 97’s  along with some wicked “Shotgun” lakes-style headers, both 3D printed by Maple Leaf Modelworks (see https://www.shapeways.com/product/VHLWF2BE7/olds-rocket-combo-pack-2?optionId=108909169 and https://www.shapeways.com/product/FJZWQKK96/1-25-olds-quot-shotgun-quot-style-headers?optionId=63895539&li=user-wishlist ). More on the motor in my next update.

Initial-Setup-web.jpg

Much of this type of model must be scratch built since nothing of the sort exists in kit form. The bucket-style body, of course, is the ex-Ala Kart 1929 Model A Roadster piece found in the AMT ’29 Ford Roadster kits. The windshield and dashboard, in this case Molotow chromed, also come from this kit. But otherwise the rest of the interior is scratch built from styrene stock with the exception of the little tuck ‘n roll buckets which come from the Roth Beatnik Bandit. The interior is so tight almost nothing else will fit. The transmission hump and tunnel is a handy little 3D printed item I found on Shapeways produced by 3D Model Specialties. To go with the show car style a resin ’32 Ford 4”-chopped grill shell from Model Car Garage has had a button-style custom grill adapted to it. The grill center comes from an original 60’s Aurora #592 Custom Grills & Trim  parts pack. It’s very likely the grill shell will have to be further cut down by the time it finds its way into the completed car.

Interior-and-grill-web-1024.jpg

That’s it for now. One other thing I might note is that with this project I am at last resisting painting parts as I go along, instead mocking everything up using tacky white glue before painting everything prior to build-up. While this may seem obvious to many of you, up to now I have lacked the discipline to paint only after trial fitting things. Hopefully this will pay dividends during final assembly. In the meantime so far things are going well and next time I hope to show the car up on its wheels with a completed powerplant.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

The motor is completed, the chassis painted pearl white and the basic suspension components painted and glued in place. Below are mockups with the wheels and tires mounted. As mentioned last time the grille needed to be cut down to sit at the right height. Also as previously mentioned, the motor is the Oldsmobile V8 from the Revell Ed Roth Beatnik Bandit with very cool 3D printed hop-up parts by Chris Drysdale’s Maple Leaf Modelworks via Shapeways (see links in my previous post). Chris sells a dress-up kit that fits all the various Revell Olds V8s. It consists of Oldsmobile Rocket valve covers, a 6-carb (or alternatively 4-carb) log manifold and beautifully detailed Stromberg 97 carburetors with gorgeous oval SP tops. The exhaust manifolds are also by Maple Leaf and are his “Shotgun-style” pipes specifically designed for the Olds V8. The block is finished out in Tamiya Gold Lead and most of the engine parts are either kit chrome from the Beatnik Bandit or Molotow chrome.

Next up is detailing out the lighting, suspension and driveline and beginning paint and trim work.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Motor-and-grille-summary-web-1024.jpg

On 10/10/2019 at 3:50 PM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Progress looks good, B...keep at it! -RRR

Thanks to you both. I'm making good progress on this and hope to post more in the next few days. In the meantime, Jon, I'm quoting you in the hopes you get a notification in order to thank you for your "Lowster" model of many moons ago, which has endured as an inspiration for all my attempts in this kind of model. Thanx!

RRR's masterful Lowster can be seen here on the MCM board:

And also here on his Fotki for lots of build details: https://public.fotki.com/jferren/t-latest-from-the-r/

Sweet!

DSC00040.JPG

Edited by Bernard Kron

Moving right along, now… I got the front suspension except for the steering tie rod completed. The hairpins are steering arms are from the Revell 1/25th Deuce kits. The tail lights are in place. They’re from a Revell Part Pack #C1154 Tubular Bumpers and Grilles. The bucket  and grille shell have been painted with Duplicolor Cherry Red Metallic over Red Oxide primer. The gold stripe accents on the bucket sides were done with Pactra gold trim tape and the gold pin stripes on the cowl and rear of the bucket are from the Rhevell ’59 Mercury  Coupe Custom kit. It’s starting to get the show car vibe now that the color and trim are in place. I’m pretty much ready for final assembly. It shouldn’t be long now…

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Body-Paint-Summary-web.jpg

Thanks guys!

I got this project finished up over the last few days. Below you’ll find a composite photo of the final post details and a couple of side-by-side comparisons of the original Rat Rod version and the new Show Car variant. The interior is done with pearl white and gold paint on the seats and a shift lever and steering wheel from the AMT ’29 Ford Roadster kits. The headlights on the front end are from the AMT ‘25T Double Kit and the steering tie rod is scratch built from styrene rod and tubing with the Pitman Arm from the Revell 1/25th Deuces.

I’ll post a full project summary and “beauty shots” Under Glass later today or tomorrow.

Thanx for lookin’
B.

final-detail-summary-web-1024.jpg
DSCF7448-web-1024.jpg
DSCF7449-web-1024.jpg