Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 AMT (ex-MPC) '69 Camaro

Snake45

I’ve ALWAYS loved the ‘69 Camaro in any variety and i’ve Always been attracted to nearly every scale replication of it.  But this . . . It hurts my soul and makes my heart sore.  HOW COULD THEY? How could they do this to the image of a ‘69 . . . And then release the evidence to the public??

1 hour ago, Deuces said:

Monogram did do a convertible kit in 1/25 scale... Then Revell got a hold of it and the rest as they say... Is history..... ;)

s-l400 - 2019-10-11T204012.473.jpg

I HOPE the winkything means you KNOW that story is completely wrong/backwards. B):lol:

I think the Monogram Logo was put back on the box... as a marketing ploy for folks returning to the hobby who may not have known about the merger with Revell.  The convertable was always a Revell kit. based on the Yenko and Baldwin Revell cars. 

I have to say though, If anyone could get the AMT/MPC Camaro to look good It's Snake... Well done, it still has the same problems but with the quality of the build you are able to overlook the flaws.

3 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I have to say though, If anyone could get the AMT/MPC Camaro to look good It's Snake... Well done, it still has the same problems but with the quality of the build you are able to overlook the flaws.

I appreciate the kind words, but even I can't make the current issue look like anything but a backbirth turd. The two green ones shown above were built on the '80s reissue and I'm not ashamed to have them on my shelf---they're about as well as you (or at least as well as I) can build that model. 

But with the various Revell issues being common and cheap, there's no reason to mess with the MPC Camaro anymore--especially the current issue one. 

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:39 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Still very difficult for me to grasp how "professionals" that get paid decent money can get away with putting out garbage like this.

Incredibly sad part of this point is that it still goes on, even with all the modern tech advances. Just makes the old 'gigo' more obvious.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:21 AM, randyc said:

That's a good one - "Palmer territory" .    As for the WHY, I would say that it has to do with selling kits. Good box art goes a long way towards sales.   So they sell some more 69s and folks getting them either don't know the difference or  like many of us, would buy for the extras - wheels, tires, engine, etc.  Slip a clunker or two in there now and then and just collect the money.   They are a bigger part of the industry than a few of us vocal critics.  They can get by with it.   

Unfortunately true. Brings to mind a fairly recent release by a company that absolutely could, and should, have done better. Hey, it was a '69 too  :lol: