Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Rider

Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Livery

Recommended Posts

Started on this tonight. It's a simple curbside kit. I wanted a break from the intense build, ie cutting open doors, etc.  Still wanting a challenge I will be attempting to paint the graphics, and only use the logos from the decal sheet.

 

IMG_2153.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These simple Tamiya kits look great on the shelf when done.

 

Good luck on the paint!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PLEASE Tamiya....reissue this kit!!!! INDYCALS makes some great decals for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

Zero paints makes a really good lacquer paint kit of the Martini colors.  https://www.hiroboy.com/Martini_Racing_Colour_Paint_Set_4x30ml--product--1604.html

Thanks Peter.

Zero paints are some of the best on the market. I really enjoy working with that line, the coverage is amazing. Problem is we don't have a supplier here in Cnd, and with the exchange rate and shipping and Duty it's cost prohibitive to use them. I can mix up what I need close enough from what I have in house. Plus if the doesn't match exactly,  it must be the viewers screen, lol.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

These simple Tamiya kits look great on the shelf when done.

 

Good luck on the paint!

 

 

 

Thanks Dan

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

PLEASE Tamiya....reissue this kit!!!! INDYCALS makes some great decals for it.

These kits are stupid expensive now. I found mine on a Japanese evilBay page for well under $50cdn shipped a year ago. Now they list for over $100 in most cases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rider said:

Thanks Dan

These kits are stupid expensive now. I found mine on a Japanese evilBay page for well under $50cdn shipped a year ago. Now they list for over $100 in most cases. 

Yep....been looking hard...no luck for any in my price range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Yep....been looking hard...no luck for any in my price range.

Good luck Dave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive always liked this car in this very livery. And I'm not a builder of this type race car

yet, I keep telling myself to find a model kit to build someday.

problem is my wallet never seems to agree with me when I think about pulling the trigger on one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This kit may be the first Tamiya I ever built, when I was a teenager!  I didn't do the decals, made it a street car.   It should be fun to start, *and* finish before next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I just got this kit, still sealed at a local swap meet for a great price. Interested to see how yours turns out.

Edited by Terminator-Fox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Ive always liked this car in this very livery. And I'm not a builder of this type race car

yet, I keep telling myself to find a model kit to build someday.

problem is my wallet never seems to agree with me when I think about pulling the trigger on one

No idea how I got mine so cheap, although this seller does seem to list his stuff WAY below others greed.

10 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

This kit may be the first Tamiya I ever built, when I was a teenager!  I didn't do the decals, made it a street car.   It should be fun to start, *and* finish before next year.

Ya I am hoping I can get this done in a couple weeks. I like doing decals, I just figure these decals would be more work/frustration then painting them.

6 hours ago, Terminator-Fox said:

I just got this kit, still sealed at a local swap meet for a great price. Interested to see how yours turns out.

It's not a great kit as far as fit goes. The windshield is one of those one piece patrs with the front and back attached with the runners that go along the head liner. 

 

Thanks for looking in guys. I really appreciate the interest and shared experiences with this kit.

I'll post up an update today.

 

Edited by Rider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Yep....been looking hard...no luck for any in my price range.

Wow, at that price you're halfway to the 1:12 scale version which is a far more interesting kit to build. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pete J. said:

Wow, at that price you're halfway to the 1:12 scale version which is a far more interesting kit to build. 

Agreed.....and I have the 1/12 kit....but really want more 24th versions to display with other 34th Porsche's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

This is gonna be GREAT!!!...looking forward to more, bud!!

Thanks Dann

1 hour ago, Pete J. said:

Wow, at that price you're halfway to the 1:12 scale version which is a far more interesting kit to build. 

 

19 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Agreed.....and I have the 1/12 kit....but really want more 24th versions to display with other 34th Porsche's. 

I have the original release of the 1/12 Jaegermeister version. The 1/12 stuff just takes up sooo much room, I'm including the  boxes and the finished kits in that statement. 

 

Dave I'm heading to a show,in a couple weeks, Oct 19. I would be happy to pick one up for ya. Most Tamiya kits go for 20-50. Message me if you'd be interested in me picking one up for ya and shipping it out to you. If I find one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rider said:

I have the original release of the 1/12 Jaegermeister version. The 1/12 stuff just takes up sooo much room, I'm including the  boxes and the finished kits in that statement. 

I know what you mean.  I have 4 935s(with the Scale Motorsport super detail kits) and 1 934.  They are on the top shelf away from everything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Spent today working on a bit over everything.

I re-scribed panel lines and crsiping up  much of the sculpting of this old kit. 

Scrapped down the thick windows to help with distortion. Polished the front windshield. 

Got the shell in primer, it needs some TLC before paint.

Also got the tire's race weathered. They might have a couple hot laps left in them, lol. 

The link to a tutorial on the tire's.

IMG_6730.JPG

IMG_6732.PNG

IMG_2157.JPG

Edited by Rider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2019 at 1:04 PM, Rider said:

Dave I'm heading to a show,in a couple weeks, Oct 19. I would be happy to pick one up for ya. Most Tamiya kits go for 20-50. Message me if you'd be interested in me picking one up for ya and shipping it out to you. If I find one. 

Looks great! 

can you let me know where this show is on Oct. 19?  wonder how far away from me..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, waiby said:

Looks great! 

can you let me know where this show is on Oct. 19?  wonder how far away from me..

Thanks Bob.

Here's the link to the Group 25 page. You'll find a number of show listings there. There are two shows on the 19th. Not sure which one I will go to. 

http://www.group25.org/2019/2019_upcoming_shows.htm

Got the tire logos painted. 

IMG_2165.JPG

Edited by Rider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wheels done. I use silly putty to 'mask' off the rims

This stuff is great for hard to tape areas. The downside is it can only be left for a few hours before it begins to sag into every crack and crevice. 

I also got the shell painted white and the first colour laid down.

Thanks for looking in.

IMG_2167.JPG

IMG_2169.JPG

IMG_2173.JPG

IMG_2178.JPG

Edited by Rider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good idea with the silly putty. Will have to try that at some point. 

 

:)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Good idea with the silly putty. Will have to try that at some point. 

 

:)

 

 

Not my original idea, I think I picked it up in the tipsNtricks page in MCM. It is sooooo versitle, especially masking under the hood around moulded in washer bottles and batteries, etc. Actually anywhere taping would be too difficult. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...