Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1966 442 Convert.

ewetwo

5 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I could see it begin to pool around the trim, door handles. emblems and the curves in the body. So I thought I was doing the right thing by stopping and then putting a second coat on later.

Hmmm.

That sounds suspicious in itself.

If this is a typical Duplicolor "touch up" lacquer, there shouldn't be any pooling whatsoever.

Automotive lacquers dry extremely quickly and it's nearly impossible to get any running, sagging or pooling unless you're just going nuts with the heaviness while your spraying.

It sounds suspiciously to me like the paint quite possibly may have been mixed incorrectly using too much thinner.

Too much thinning will make the paint cover poorly, run more easily and the solvent is more likely to attack previous coats.

Steve

I do need to ask one question.

While checking to see if MCW happens to carry this color or something as similar as possible in a spray can, I discovered that there appears to be no 1966 color called "Cascade Green".

There is an Oldsmobile "Laurel Mist" which is the same code as Buick "Seafoam Green", Chevrolet "Willow Green" and Pontiac "Palmetto Green".

While it doesn't appear apparent that MCW carries this exact color in a spray can, they do have 14 different shades of green in a rattle can.

Steve

image.png.eaf7eae31156ebb90df26743a5a15ce6.png

image.png.fdf2b6c10784acb0def74cc2002df8ac.png

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I ordered 3 different greens that day because I never see light green metallic paint. But they called me back saying one I ordered would need a clear coat and they couldn’t put that color in a spray can. I told the manager who waited on me to order one that was close. But maybe it’s miss labeled. Theses were paints they had to mix for me. You couldn’t buy it off the shelf. Kind of upsetting if it was mixed wrong as it will be my word against theirs. It was spraying really thin and pooling Steve. I haven’t tried the other two yet.

Edited by ewetwo

9 hours ago, tbill said:

I should also mention, in regards to painting the hood, when spraying metallic paint, to get a match you can get it without having the hood on the car, I have found I just need to spray in the same direction, example, if you paint the body from the trunk forward, paint the hood from the back to front, it’s been working for me doing it this way.

This is an important thing to watch for when using color change paint. If you don't spray separate body parts in the same direction, the colors will change differently when final assembly is completed.

3 hours ago, Shambles said:

You may have just gotten a bad can of paint. I've had that happen too.

If the other 2 cans are just as bad. I don't think I'll be buying them anymore. At $25 plus tax a pop. That's quite a chunk out of my monthly Social Security check which will be even less after next March seeing I have to pay for  Medicare. Might have to just stick to what ever paint the hobby stores have. Won't be any light green metallic cars as I've never seen them in the auto parts or hobby stores. 

1 hour ago, ewetwo said:

If the other 2 cans are just as bad. I don't think I'll be buying them anymore. At $25 plus tax a pop. That's quite a chunk out of my monthly Social Security check which will be even less after next March seeing I have to pay for  Medicare. Might have to just stick to what ever paint the hobby stores have. Won't be any light green metallic cars as I've never seen them in the auto parts or hobby stores. 

MCW has a lot of really nice colors in spray cans for $15.00 each.

This '62 Belair was painted years ago with an MCW rattle can.

2v23hvf7yxwUbWP.jpg

Steve

Model Car World.

Here is the link.                                                      mcwautomotivefinishes.com

If you click on the "paint" button under the catalog icon and then click on the "numerical list" button under Aerosol it will show a list of the colors offered in spray cans.

Unfortunately there are no photographs or chips of the colors.

You just have to wing it by description.

I would guess that your best chances for a color close to the color you are after would be "Silver Green Metallic", "Light Green Metallic", "Light Lime Green Metallic", "Medium Lime Metallic" or possibly "Medium Green Metallic".

There are also a half dozen turquoise shades that you could check out.

Steve

Some of my best paint jobs were achieved using Krylon or Rustoleum rattle cans from the hardware store. There are so many variables, it's usually hit-or-miss.

I was just on ModelCarWorld looking for a certain color blue. I've been searching for any printed color charts that model paint manufacturers might have to see if I can match the blue of the slotcarfever decals for the Louise Smith 49 Nascar Ford I'm trying to recreate. Computer screens display colors differently, so it's hard to match without some kind of printed reference. Yall know of any sources for model paint color charts?

IMG_3677.jpeg

Edited by Shambles

22 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

MCW has a lot of really nice colors in spray cans for $15.00 each.

This '62 Belair was painted years ago with an MCW rattle can.

2v23hvf7yxwUbWP.jpg

Steve

Impressive build! Do you remember what kit that was?

Edited by Shambles

17 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Testors enamels.

image.png.3092a8d543fa7314e560ebc453a43d52.png

Testors "One Coat" lacquers

image.png.745574b9fc76d344bf5f5003179df744.png

Testors "Model Master" car lacquers

image.png.31a06f946bc15b5fcf4753361d728561.png

Tamiya

image.png.e5ccbe5e7e56de41a5e38ac8e94da4d3.png

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I'll save those in a folder. Do you know if they're available in printed form? Computer displays all vary in color representation so most paint companies use printed "chips" or charts that conform to industry color matching systems.

9 hours ago, Shambles said:

Do you know if they're available in printed form? Computer displays all vary in color representation so most paint companies use printed "chips" or charts that conform to industry color matching systems.

That I don't know.

You would probably need to contact Testors and Tamiya and inquire about print copies.

Steve

12 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That I don't know.

You would probably need to contact Testors and Tamiya and inquire about print copies.

Steve

I did a bunch of googling, but ain't found anything. These model car companies seem to keep their cards close to their chests. Surprised at that, I mean if they want to keep the hobby going and attract old and young enthusiasts.

I don't know Wayne. I'm just winging it. LOL! I use to just build the models when I was a kid.  Never spray painted them but I did one with regular black spray paint. !950 Ford. Came out awful so I never painted anything. Plus we didn't have the money. I bought the kits I had from my paper route with took weeks before you had enough money to buy another kit. I read and read here in the forum and there are so many different opinions, it gets confusing. And this special ordered can of paint does not say what kid of paint it is. And the store is new and the people working there couldn't answer that question.