Model Cars Magazine Forum

QbanFam

5 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

I can see that you have been busy, Yordan..... nicely done, too...... will there be a vehicle on this country road, or would that spoil the peace and tranquillity?

David

Hi David, it’s been a while. There will be a vehicle. I purchased a plastic kit (a truck) that I have to paint and assemble. I have never put a kit together, so we will see how it turns out. There will be other details on the diorama suck as an old truck tire on the side of the road.

10 minutes ago, QbanFam said:

Hi David, it’s been a while. There will be a vehicle. I purchased a plastic kit (a truck) that I have to paint and assemble. I have never put a kit together, so we will see how it turns out. There will be other details on the diorama suck as an old truck tire on the side of the road.

You will enjoy building the kit, and especially if it is your first ever kit. There is something about assembling a bunch of parts out of the box, and seeing the model become an accurate replica of the real thing..... once you start, you cannot stop!

David

53 minutes ago, olsbooks said:

Fantastic job! You have set a very  high bar in terms of realism! Keep it up!

Thank you. I just use real dirt with some acrylic washes for color depth and static grass. I mix different colors of static grass for a more realistic look. In some areas I mix more dead grass with fresh grass. Depending on imagines traffic, sun light and humidity.

2 hours ago, olsbooks said:

Fantastic job! You have set a very  high bar in terms of realism! Keep it up!

Thank you. I just use real dirt with some acrylic washes for color depth and static grass. I mix different colors of static grass for a more realistic look. In some areas I mix more dead grass with fresh grass. Depending on imagines traffic, sun light and humidity.

50859538-5C45-4E92-B390-FF0AA20AE153.jpeg

836D32C9-F902-4314-8729-D32E4A861520.jpeg

A046ED30-C424-4FB2-B5B5-E549B4A558BE.jpeg

63AA95C0-086B-4EF9-A327-2F965367C1D7.jpeg

One of these days I'm going to have dig deep and go to static grass...or figure out a way to develop something suitable.  Instead of static, I wonder if magnetism might work. Remember the kids toy where you drag a magnetic pen over clear plastic to create a fuzzy face? Wooly booby or something like that was the name if memory serves.   

Edited by olsbooks

41 minutes ago, olsbooks said:

One of these days I'm going to have dig deep and go to static grass...or figure out a way to develop something suitable.  Instead of static, I wonder if magnetism might work. Remember the kids toy where you drag a magnetic pen over clear plastic to create a fuzzy face? Wooly booby or something like that was the name if memory serves.   

That could work. I also use moss, grinder in a coffee grinder to the smallest particles.  For the longer grass tufts I use cheap paint brush hair, which I randomly color at the base with green. I leave the top with the natural color to make it look dry. Once the glue for the longer tufts is dried, you could use a small soldering iron to randomly curl the outer perimeter, or just completely, as if it was completely dead. I think it adds more realism as nothing looks uniform.

2 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Excellent work going on here, Yordan..... and the first one of your most recent photos I like, because of the rocky outcrop, just above the rough track and where the trees start. You must be enjoying this work in progress!

David

Thank you David. I’m certainly enjoying this project. I’m still trying to better the techniques for better realism. But overall I cannot complain, since I haven’t been doing this for long. 

• 2 weeks later...