Model Cars Magazine Forum

NHRA GT/AA '96 Firebird Slammer

I've been posting this over in the "B.O.Y.D." thread, and thought I'd post it here, because I have a question about classifying this car. In Super Stock, there was (is?) a class for late model pony cars--I think. I also think I've seen photos of Firebirds of this era with the markings GT/AA. I say "think" because i haven't found an image in which the markings are clear enough to make out. It's a slammer, built from one of the old AMT Snap Fast  kits that were essentially promos. I cut a chassis plate out of sheet stock and built some supports for the axles, on top of it. The  wheelie bars are from a Monogram pro stocker kit, with the bracing built from plastic stock. I printed side window blackouts that will be white glued to the inside of the window "glass". I drew a safety net for the driver's side window. Paint was done by tearing masking tape. The outline striping is not quite half done, yet. I mixed dark blue and white One Shot enamel for the striping. Questions, critiques and comments always welcome!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0001-2cr.jpg

DSC_0004-2cr.jpg

DSC_0006-2cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

Going to be an interesting racer.  As far as classification, I am as lost as you are.  I grew up watching drag racing when it was SS/A-SS/J (AA-JA for automatics) for Super Stock, A-R/S (SA for automatics) for stock classes, and A-D/FX for the factory hot rods.  Since the late 60's the classes have changed as often as I change my socks.  My only suggestion would be to try to find a NHRA rule-book for the year/era you are building and try to decipher their classifications. 

GT classes were created years ago to allow late model 4 and 6 cylinder front wheel drive cars to be converted to rear wheel drive v-8 cars.  GT/AA would have a big block chevy as the most popular combination, but any corporate early model engine could be used.  Classification to be determined by NHRA rated horsepower and weight of car.  By the way, no tinted windows are allowed in super stock.

48 minutes ago, R. Thorne said:

GT classes were created years ago to allow late model 4 and 6 cylinder front wheel drive cars to be converted to rear wheel drive v-8 cars.  GT/AA would have a big block chevy as the most popular combination, but any corporate early model engine could be used.  Classification to be determined by NHRA rated horsepower and weight of car.  By the way, no tinted windows are allowed in super stock.

I know the windows can't be tinted, but the model's a slammer, so, I blacked out the windows. The horsepower/weight thing is standard operating procedure, thus, a heavier car with a smaller engine might be GT/B or GT/BA, if an automatic transmission, right? I'll go with GT/AA, then. Thanks for your input! It's a big help.

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Or you could always call it a "street outlaws/no prep" kinda thing. B)

That's always a possibility! I have it sorted out, now, thanks to several sources. It could be GT/xx. or GT/x. Just like the NHRA's other classes, it's determined by advertised shipping weight to cubic inches (which I understood). The second "A", or lack, thereof designates an automatic trans, or a manual one. I just wasn't sure how the class was designated.Now, I know! I will go with GT/A(A), depending on whether I feel like shiftingl, when i am ready to letter the window.

Apparently, I can no longer just leave the lights on my models alone. In my research, I learned that the taillights for this iteration of the Firebird are interchangeable from year to year. I thought the hex pattern on the later years ('08-2002 ?) taillights looked more interesting, than the rectangular grid on the earlier years' cars. I used PhotoImpact Pro to "draw" the hex pattern (It's a tad large, and the hexes could stand to be "fatter"), and printed it on Blingasm clear decal sheet. It's taken a fair amount of Micro Set and Sol to get them to conform to the lens. I also drilled the taillight "panel" to accept a couple of small lenses I found in the parts box. The backup lamps are different on the later cars, and I already know that I didn't want to piece in a section of clear  plastic between sections of the cut-apart red taillight lenses. Yeah, I learned that, with the Monza! Once the backup lights were installed, I punched a couple of discs to represent the reflector pans, behind the bulbs. I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out.

First, a couple of pics of the differences between the early and later years of the Firebird's taillights. As always, critiques, comments and questions are welcomed!

s-l16000.jpg

WS6LOGOcopy.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg

• 6 months later...

Well, it only took thirteen years to complete this slammer! ? Here she is. She's really rough, but, I thought fourteen years to build a slammer would be a little excessive! I made the door markings on an inkjet printer, as well as the Phoenix on the nose, and my mostly-ubiquitous "Conrad's Engine Service" tag, which is a tribute to my dad. If you don't look too close, it looks pretty cool, I think! Questions, comments, critiques are always welcome! Thanks for looking!

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0020cr.jpg

DSC_0027cr.jpg

DSC_0029cr.jpg

DSC_0046cr.jpg

13 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Wow that’s some crazy wild paint job.Excellent work.

Thanks, Ron. I didn't plan the  paint, and just ended up winging it, with strips of torn masking tape. I used One-Shot Process Blue for the striping. I am pleasantly surprised at the way it worled out!

12 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

Nice job it looks great

Thanks, Scott. Since it's a slammer, it just has to look the part. It's not anywhere near perfect, but, I like it!

8 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I really like what you have done with this Snap Fast kit Daniel!  The work on the taillights pattern is purely ingenious!  Again, well done sir!!!

Thank you, again, Francis! I really like the hexagonal pattern, compared to the rectangles on the earlier taillights. I have built a few snap kits over the last three tears, or so. They're a lot of fun!

32 minutes ago, R. Thorne said:

Just curious, what wheels and tires did you use?  The NHRA number would be 4 digits starting with 5, by the way.

Thanks, re: the numbers. I wasn't sure how many digits I needed, and I was having a hard time finding photos that were clear enough to be sure.

9 minutes ago, Scalper said:

nice

Thank you, sir!

3 hours ago, GoatGuy said:

Great crazy paint and the taillights came out great as well.

Dave

Thank you, Dave! Much appreciated! I used foil from a cigarette hard pack, for the reflectors in the taillights. I printed the hexes, because the alternative was straight, horizontal lines==BORING! ?

• 3 weeks later...