Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any NEW kits ?

With the demise of Revell USA, is there any hope of seeing any NEW kits being developed? With their very popular '30 Model A  Coupe being a doubtful return much less any further look at other Model A bodies, it really seems like we're done for awhile.

Edited by Greg Myers

36 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

With the demise of Revell is there any hope of seeing any new kits being developed? With their very popular '30 Model A  Coupe being a doubtful return much less any further look at other Model A bodies, it really seems like we're done for awhile.

Given that Revell has shown an all-new Land Rover kit this year, I would say reports of their demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Moebius has made a point of the fact that they are still "In the Game" as it were, and will eventually be releasing more Automotive Subjects. Maybe not as soon as we Enthusiasts want them, but the plans are still going forward. Those Nova's you show, are rumored to still be in work, possibly held up by Lic Agreement issues. I have hope that the immense interest that the Sneak Peek Pics generated will keep them in the development pipeline.

While not new kits exactly, Atlantis Models has a huge pile of Old Revell, Aurora, and other tooling to go thru. You can be sure that the folks running Atlantis are VERY aware that they have some Diamonds in that toolbank. Again, it may be some time, but we will see them in good time.

As noted, Revell has brought out an all new Landrover LWB kit, that is a completely "Clean Sheet of Paper" kit. They have continued to develop one or two new Automotive Kits every year. Most are European, and not US Muscle, but they are still new kits.

Italeri, keeps re-issuing old tools, but they are going way back into the archives for some of these. Kits that haven't seen the light of day in 20-30 years, are effectively new kits, for anybody who is new to modeling.

Heller seems to be coming back to Life, Ebbro, Beemax, NuNu, and others from the Far East are cranking out new cars every year.

Am I getting the 1950 Buick Roadmaster Jetback that I crave? No. Never gonna happen, I'm afraid. The same with  the 1912 Mercer Raceabout. But, New Car kits are plentiful. Just totally different than what they used to be.

This is yet more of the Golden Age of the Hobby.

8 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

With the demise of Revell is there any hope of seeing any new kits being developed? With their very popular '30 Model A  Coupe being a doubtful return much less any further look at other Model A bodies, it really seems like we're done for awhile.

If you are going to post about Revell's demise, please provide proof. Otherwise, please do not stir the pot just to start controversy. 

8 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

Given that Revell has shown an all-new Land Rover kit this year, I would say reports of their demise have been greatly exaggerated.

The LR kit is showing a US release date right now of Nov via Tower Hobbies,  so its close if that is a accurate date.

9 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

The two Model A kits, (coupe & roadster), have been announced as returning in 2020, hopefully as soon as the 1st or 2nd quarter, depending on how long the tooling repair takes them.

Revell is on the rebound with their German owners willing to put the money into them that Hobbico couldn't. The 69 Boss 302, 68 Chevelle SS, & the return of the 70 Charger R/T are proof of this. Care to share the proof to the opposite?

Also the modified reissue of the AAR Cuda, the reissues of the Monte Carlo SS & the Frank Iaconio Pro Stock Camaro belies the demise of Revell.

Edited by StevieB

In my book a "new kit" is a kit made from all new tooling and we haven't seen many of those lately, at least of US cars.
The Revell 57 Ford Sedan Gasser above is just another version combined of allready existing tooling and that's not what I call a new kit even tho' it hasn't been out on the market in that way before, a model like that could easily have been built from recently issued kits of the different Revell 57 Ford versions.
Most of what Revell has issued the last months are kits developed before the company was sold and I don't believe the new owners has done many new developed kits yet, but time will tell.
I really hope Revell doesn't end up like Round 2 and only do reissues of older car and truck kits. ?

and there ya go. Not stirring anything up just posting my observations.

It looks to me, other than foreign vehicles made by foreign companys , we will be seeing more of the same, just like RC2. Nothing wrong with that since they all have plenty of old molds that haven't seen the light of day for quite a few years.

Then there's Atlantis, talk about some long lost friends.

Edited by Greg Myers

8 hours ago, Force said:

In my book a "new kit" is a kit made from all new tooling and we haven't seen many of those lately, at least of US cars.
The Revell 57 Ford Sedan Gasser above is just another version combined of allready existing tooling and that's not what I call a new kit even tho' it hasn't been out on the market in that way before, a model like that could easily have been built from recently issued kits of the different Revell 57 Ford versions.
Most of what Revell has issued the last months are kits developed before the company was sold and I don't believe the new owners has done many new developed kits yet, but time will tell.
I really hope Revell doesn't end up like Round 2 and only do reissues of older car and truck kits. ?

Well in the good old days the model companies could spend money on tons of new tools because they knew they would sell those kits to all different kinds of retailers and end users. Today, that isn't the case and considering it is likely a $100,000 + investment for a new tool, they have to be careful as the market is limited and profits are thinner. 

Be glad that we are still getting model kits and even if they are modified re-issues, it beats having nothing.

22 minutes ago, glusnifr said:

when will we see this for sale ,,ive been drooling for it since i first saw these photos...

When they make the announcement.

You have to take into account that when this 3D generated review model was showed to the public, Moebius was a Florida based company owned by Frank Winspur, but since then, he sold his company to Pegasus in California and the decision now is theirs, to go further with it, or not and the time-frame.

10 hours ago, Force said:

This is maybe a more concise look at what i wanted to say. Thank you Force

Greg,  give everyone involved some time, the hobby isn't the investors gold mine it was in the past, so everything is carefully looked over before committing to all new projects.

is it frustrating not hearing anything move; yes,....the PR could be better, but it's the way it is,...

Not sure if truthful reply's are viewed as 'snarky' or not.....many people do not like the truth.  But working in manufacturing side of the the hobby, running a large hobby retail biz and running a few aftermarket hobby companies......truth is all I can add. 

Let's get a little perspective.......25 years ago....not really that long.....Charlotte had FIVE hobby shops selling plastic models. Today there are ZERO hobby shops within 50 miles of Charlotte. The hobby shop I worked and managed every Monday morning did a quick inventory to see what we sold over the weekend and place a order to fill shelves. This meant a order for many CASES (12 kits back then...6 today) of kits that our local distributor delivered later that day.   

There are no hobby distributors in NC today....much less than the 3 we had just a few years ago.  The hobby shop I visit today, one of two left in West Virginia, orders in 2 and 3 kits at a time....not cases. And they have to come from a out of state seller....none in WV any longer. 

Some of this change is just the changing landscape of retail. But if hobby sales in plastic kits and related items were NEAR what they were in the 1980's even, much less 1960's, we'd still have a fraction of the hobby shops we once had......not ZERO shops like Charlotte (BTW Charlotte was #4 in economic growth in USA this year and it can't support ONE hobby shop???) So just counting the outlets that sell plastic kits means a HUGE reduction in sales, less sales less cash to invest in new tools. Add some bankruptcies, mergers and buy outs and few retail out lets and it's the perfect storm. 

This is not a 'hobby is dead' message. The hobby will long live after I am gone. But the days of Revell having a $500,000 display at the Chicago RCHTA show and announcing 25 new or retooled kits are gone. And as fragile as the market is we are lucky someone bought Revell and didn't send all the tooling to the scrap pile for cash. (thank goodness metal prices are down!!) And as long as the business of plastic model kits remains a easy business we will get a few new items. Plastic kits are a cheap and easy manufacture when compared to model trains or even R/C cars and aircraft. So as long as a profit can be made someone will make kits. I wish the days of 3 big domestic model companies trying to outdo each other were back. But we are pretty lucky we have a few folks willing to accept a small profit in plastic kits. 

End of my soapbox....thanks 

Edited by Dave Van

Kind of along the lines of the ' is the hobby dead post'

Is it dead ? NO, not by a long chance. On the down side ? Yes and has been for some time. Look around at any model show or swap meet. MOST of the people waling around are grey hairs ,,,just like me.

Im not saying the hobby will die when the majority of us do. BUT, I'm sure it will take an even further downturn than where its at today.

I'll be honest, If ALL manufacturers closed up shop today and we saw nothing new from here on.

I think I have far more than enough to keep me busy the remainder of my days . And I'm actually trying to thin the stash considerably.

if I can get down to mostly vintage builder old annuals I probably have enough to keep me busy for the next 10 / 15 years EASILY with just them alone