Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tyrone Malone Hideout truck

1320wayne

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2019 at 4:22 AM, PierreR89 said:

I could not wait for the rerelease so i bought another papa truck and decals from modeltruckin
The only not rereleased in the pic is the Bandag Bandit.
They do look great standing next to eachother.
IMG_20190801_153224.thumb.jpg.92aa304b75cb7129d81ee4f6f0ed3384.jpg
IMG_20190801_153256.thumb.jpg.172028a48c8e4ba9d10540bf4d0d56be.jpg

They look awesome. I'm guessing the rear wheels stick out past the guards on the hideout truck as they do with the Papa truck, I had a heck of a time getting them tucked under the guards on mine, I also used Auslowes torsion bar suspension on my Papa truck which didn't make things any easier. 

Can't wait for the Bandag Bandit & Hideout truck to complete the set. These 2 are a lot easier to paint as well. 

Edited by Yahshu

10 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I wonder why "Bandag" has been removed. It's going to be hard to have a Bandag Bandit without Bandag.

Yeah that's strange.
The recent reissue of the Papa Truck and Super Boss has the Bandag badges and the Papa Truck kit is exactly the same as the Hideout Truck except for the decals and boxart.
So why would they reissue it as the Hideout Truck if they wasn't planning to do the Bandag Bandit too...maybe they might call it only Bandit and leave the Bandag badges off...who knows...but it seems very strange to me as they must have had the licensing when they did Super Boss and Papa Truck back in 2016.
Well there are aftermarket decals available for both the Bandag Bandit and Hideout Truck so it's not a huge problem.

Edited by Force

12 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I wonder why "Bandag" has been removed. It's going to be hard to have a Bandag Bandit without Bandag.

Could it be possible that maybe as AMT and also MPC has done in the past to get around licensing or in more recent times PC issues the decals may be included but just not shown on the box art? I'm sure unless one has been living in a cave it is common knowledge that has been done with a "certain" flag decal in a well know Dodge Charger kit. MPC and also later AMT had also done that for many years in their Trans Am Firebird car kits, because while I still don't understand how they got away with some of the "Firebird Trans Am" and showing the "Trans Am" names on box art and box art photos, Monogram was the only company that actually paid for the rights to use the Trans Am name. On many of the old MPC/AMT Trans Am kits I have they "creatively" got around this by breaking up the names on the decal sheets to piece them together. 

They are talking about from the box for the hideout truck.
Above his arm there are a Bandag logo on the door for the truck.
There should also be a blue Bandag text with all the other texts on the sides of the truck + one big Bandag on the rear wall of the transporter part that faces the Bandit once it sits there
They have also removed the "Detroit Diesel Allison" from the sides.

One think they would have solved the licensing issues with both the Malone family and Bridgestone (who owns the Bandag name) when they did the Super Boss and Papa Truck reissues 3 years ago, they allready knew back then that they would do the Bandag Bandit and Hideout Truck when the tooling was ready to use.
The tooling for the Hideout truck is exactly the same as for the Papa Truck so that was not an issue but the Bandag Bandit has several things different from the Super Boss and they had to find the tooling for these parts.

3 hours ago, Force said:

One think they would have solved the licensing issues with both the Malone family and Bridgestone (who owns the Bandag name) when they did the Super Boss and Papa Truck reissues 3 years ago, they allready knew back then that they would do the Bandag Bandit and Hideout Truck when the tooling was ready to use.
The tooling for the Hideout truck is exactly the same as for the Papa Truck so that was not an issue but the Bandag Bandit has several things different from the Super Boss and they had to find the tooling for these parts.

your talking about hood headlights and exhaust, back tail lights and rear wing ?

On 10/27/2019 at 1:57 PM, Force said:

Licensing has durations, it might need to be renewed, or it might have only covered the items being released at the time the agreement was signed. It all depends on the licensor as to whether it's a blanket "for all like items" type, or on a case by case basis. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 3:50 PM, iamsuperdan said:

Very strange, especially in light of the reissues of the Super Boss and Papa Truck.

I'll still pick up both though.

Yes it is.
I' will probably buy both too even though I have two each of the original issues.