Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tyrone Malone Hideout truck

1320wayne

Nice to have these back with or without the correct decals, Model Truckin’ decals are perfect ! As for original issues I wouldn’t waste money on them for decals , they were useless when they were new, never got one usable set, out of the five Bandit kits I bought!

The old original decals were often bad, one set I tried to use for one of my original issue Super Boss broke appart when I tried to apply them and was worthless and stopped the build that time...it's still not finished by the way. <_<

Edited by Force

If you are picky the front bumper are wrong for both the Papa Truck and Hideout Truck even if they would have had the correct shape for a Kenworth Gullwing bumper, because Tyrone Malone used Peterbilt bumpers on both transporters.
Jamie at Mo'luminum has the correct Truck Mate wheels.

Edited by Force

4 hours ago, Force said:

If you are picky the front bumper are wrong for both the Papa Truck and Hideout Truck even if they would have had the correct shape for a Kenworth Gullwing bumper, because Tyrone Malone used Peterbilt bumpers on both transporters.
Jamie at Mo'luminum has the correct Truck Mate wheels.

I did not know the bumper were off Peterbilts , I do have the wheels from Jamie !

They were at the time period the model kits are from wich is mid to late 80's.
The front bumper on the Hideout Truck was later changed to a KW Gullwing bumper for the last version Malone did but the Papa Truck still has the Peterbilt bumper to this day if Gary Reis who now owns the truck haven't changed it since the last pictures I saw after restoration of the truck, he appearently also owns the Hideout Truck but I have not seen any pictures of it since before he bought it.
Both trucks do now have 10-hole Alcoas by the way...so now the wheels in the kits are correct. ;)

10333692_10203850760973210_1271653590598111063_o.thumb.jpg.b1f668352c3f899a94e4a566e61a975a.jpg

Edited by Force

1 hour ago, Force said:

They were at the time period the model kits are from wich is mid to late 80's.
The front bumper on the Hideout Truck was later changed to a KW Gullwing bumper for the last version Malone did but the Papa Truck still has the Peterbilt bumper to this day if Gary Reis who now owns the truck haven't changed it since the last pictures I saw after restoration of the truck, he appearently also owns the Hideout Truck but I have not seen any pictures of it since before he bought it.
Both trucks do now have 10-hole Alcoas by the way...so now the wheels in the kits are correct. ;)

10333692_10203850760973210_1271653590598111063_o.thumb.jpg.b1f668352c3f899a94e4a566e61a975a.jpg

I like the Hideout truck paint job with the lighter blue around the top windows and gold sun visor !

It was the first paint job on the Hideout Truck.

Here is the early version with blue top, gold visor and the thin stripes outside the blue, yellow and white graphics were also gold, the Peterbilt bumper and 5-hole Truck Mate wheels.
This is the version the model kit is supposed to be.

e94b7d8bf92f8c971aa196b25f854470.thumb.jpg.168ec06b215726ed037d89d1709e64de.jpg

Here is the late version, here is the outer thin stripes outside the blue, yellow and white graphics white and you also see the gullwing bumper and two hole budd wheels used with the tubeless Eclipse tires.

BandagBandit33-vi.jpg.2528e627a36b19542fea37aa22a01552.jpg

Edited by Force

Yes it looks to be just plain black to me on all the pictures I have seen of it...and that goes for all versions of the truck.
As mentioned before the portion around the roof windows was light blue and the sun visor was gold on the first version of the paint job, the versions after that was all black except for the scripts and stripes.
The first version of the Bandag Bandit paint job was also black but had a blue pearl tinted clear coat so highlights in the sun has a blueish shine to it, later versions was plain black.

Edited by Force

On 12/17/2019 at 5:59 PM, Mr mopar said:

Thx  Kerry  I had a good look at my Model trucking decals and they look way better then the kit ones ....like the gold Leaf  the kit decals are flat gold !

Modeltruckin has two sets of decals for the Hideout Truck, one with gold stripes outside the white/yellow/blue graphics and one with the same stripes in white.

http://www.modeltruckin.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_143_22&products_id=317

http://www.modeltruckin.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_143_22&products_id=70

Edited by Force