Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shapeways products self-destructing

I ordered several different products at the same time from Shapeways within the past year.  Today I took out this figure, and discovered it's been having some sort of chemical reaction, it was pure clear when I received it, now it has yellowed, and seems sticky to the touch.  Then I looked at this body, I had sanded it when I got it, now it seems to be growing fuzzy crystals on some of the surface.  I brushed my finger behind the front wheel opening.  I live in low humidity Arizona, still in same bags.  Sun did not get near these.

DSC_0854.JPG

DSC_0853.JPG

DSC_0855.JPG

Edited by 89AKurt

Maybe complaining directly to Shapeways will be the way to go about resolving this problem by sending the product back for analysis. Don't know if they are a cottage industry or not, but they should replace faulty goods regardless. If you are not planning on returning the parts perhaps spraying a coat of rattle can automotive primer might help seal the surface.

MB I believe make a nice range of styrene figure kits in 1/24th scale, worth a look at as an alternative.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

1 hour ago, Lownslow said:

Wash in alcohol, set it out in the sun

I'll give that a shot, AZ has more sun than Chicago.

38 minutes ago, peteski said:

Crystals forming in FUD resin (or whatever they are calling it now) is not uncommon.

Was discussed at length on Shapeways forum.
https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/fine-detail-plastic-crystallization-formation.68722/

Yellowing is new to me.

Thanks for the link, read the first and last pages.

15 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Looked at that thread, and oooeee... Maybe I'll take those Powerglide transmissions I just got and use them as masters for resin casting before they start crystallizing.

Sounds like a good idea.

On 10/8/2019 at 10:32 PM, peteski said:

Crystals forming in FUD resin (or whatever they are calling it now) is not uncommon.

Was discussed at length on Shapeways forum.
https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/fine-detail-plastic-crystallization-formation.68722/

Yellowing is new to me.

I read the first and last pages. All I can say is wow. I also read this:
"Water-based acrylic paints meant for plastics is strongly recommended. Other paints, especially enamels, may not cure on Frosted Detail 3D-printed plastics."

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 9:18 PM, Lownslow said:

Wash in alcohol, set it out in the sun

I gave it a shot!  Exposed the back first soon after washing.  Got rid of the yellowing, but introduced what looks like wood grain.
I have ordered other figures, in the white material, no sign of change, yet.

IMG_0616.jpg

Oh, ok...looks like the waxy supporting material (normally removed by Shapeways) wasn't entirely gone yet. Once its fully removed, you get that white-ish grainy surfacing where the support material was attached. This model appears to have been printed horizontally, face-up.

I tend to buff those grainy areas with a toothpick to knock the grain down. Then I primer and figure out how much sanding or filler I'll need to remove the texture/deposition layer lines (the "woodgrain" effect)

Yes, the white fuzz is in the areas that were supported by wax. When the model comes from Shapeways, the wax is not fully removed, so those areas look smoother. Alcohol removes the wax, exposing the rough surface.  This i normal. Only way to get rid of that is by mechanical means (rubbing/sanding, then a coat of primer should smooth things out further.

• 1 year later...

Yes, I'm dredging up my own thread, because I've seen the repurcusions of ignoring the little voice in my head.  Over a year later, it looks like she is wearing a raincoat.  This is the translucent plastic, not the white opaque such as some other figures I got from Shapeways that aren't showing this issue.  The skin is Testors acrylic, the dress is Liquitex acrylic artist paint.  I had sprayed Testors flat clear over.  The edge of the dress has melted too.

So is this the different paints reacting, or the figure's plastic?

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

Edited by 89AKurt

On 10/9/2019 at 9:56 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Looked at that thread, and oooeee... Maybe I'll take those Powerglide transmissions I just got and use them as masters for resin casting before they start crystallizing.

Just a heads up. Some of the SLA style 3D printing resins will inhibit silicone's cure process.