Model Cars Magazine Forum

THE FAMILY DEUCE

mrm

Hello everyone,

Life got in the way and I have not touched a plastic kit for over a year. Well, things have changed and I got the itch to build something, so I dug into my stuff that was put away in boxes and put together the parts for a project. I didn't want anything complicated, so I will try (key word TRY, LOL) to keep this project simple. 

I found this resin body in a box full of Deuce bodies that I had forgotten about. It could be the quintessential  family street rod. 

YWx2hL.jpg

First order of business was to rescribe all the panel lines for the doors.

DsBstd.jpg

Next I scribed around the roof insert and then sanded the whole roof smooth. The idea is reproduce the roof panel treatment on Bobby Alloway's Mrs Vicky. So there will be a roof insert, but sitting flush with the roof and with no trim around it. 

KbzOIV.jpg

The chassis/fenders will be the standard Revell '32 Ford affair. For now at least....

mX7Wwo.jpg

First steps are taken to fix sink marks and to start sanding everything and prepping for primer. 

nR2cg0.jpg

A quick mockup of the FAMILY DEUCE

lQ1Qmi.jpg

Edited by mrm

42 minutes ago, espo said:

Nice looking resin body, this should be interesting. 

Thank you.

I don't know who makes the body, but it is very nicely done. Better than the usual Jimmy Flintstone bodies, which are very crude sometimes. It is obviously based on the Revell Tudor kit. This means that the windshield and its frame are direct fit and so is the rear window. Obviously new side windows need to be made. The interior fits nice, but the panels don't match as they are obviously for a two door application. Converting the interior should't be that hard. Since the new body is four door, a bench seat can also be used in the front. 

2 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Nice looking "more door" project.

Hahaha.... That would be a cool name. 

Mordoor.

12 minutes ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Oh, looking forward to this one.

Thanks for the interest. 

This rod will be shiny and will be modern. As with most builds I do, I build the model based on what would work in real life, rather than what would look better on a model contest table. So think what if you were building a 1:1 Street Rod, that you wouldn’t hesitate to a road tour with your whole family. That’s what I would be shooting for. 

The engine has been decided too. Powerful without being over the top, great sounding, reliable and easy to maintain. It will be a small block Ford by Roush. In other words, a medley of the different engine parts from the various Revell '32 kits with the great decals from the Foose F-100. LOL

Considering that the biggest issue I have building a model, is usually actually deciding what I want and how I want it, I am very happy with my progress after Day-1.Tomorrow hopefully I can lay some primer. 

Oookeeeey......Day two is tarting with lots of sanding in preparation for the primer and with finding another piece of the puzzle. Deciding on wheels and tires. This is a huge step forward for me as I can never make my mind up. 

The wheels are from Pegasus with rears having the faces cut and put in Pegasus alu sleeves. 

XcRgwY.jpg

uCl0Pd.jpg

8Sfr0J.jpg

I’ve had my share of cool cars. Most were actually not only two door, but two seaters too. I just got rid of my fifth Corvette. When I was single it was the greatest thing ever. When I got married it was still cool, altho not very practical. After my first kid, it was OK, because my wife is not really a car person at all. So when I wanted to go to a car show with my kid, she didn’t mind staying home. Now, however, when I have two boys and they are starting to get into cars (or more like showing off, LOL) a two seater is out of the question and a two-door would be a major PITA. 

Hence, The Family Deuce.

So, at the end of Day 2 I am pretty happy with my progress. I managed to prime almost everything and then some.

The body looks perfect and needs no corrections. The chassis/fenders however need quite a bit more work to make everything good for paint. I filled the center line in the top hood and that needs to be touched up on a couple of places.

EHJa7U.jpg

The interior doesn't have any issues, but there were none expected. It's all stock after all.

AKYgDc.jpg

I filled in the old lines for the doors and made new ones for the extra doors. I wanted to see the the panels under primer. I will add a little detail to the side panels before I paint the interior, because it looks way too plain the way it is. 

DTZrH5.jpg

I even managed to lay down the base color on the drivetrain.

8C2snC.jpg

Tomorrow I will put the top coat on the drive train and hopefully straighten all the issues with the fenders/chassis. 

Stay tuned.

Edited by mrm

picking colors is always a lengthy and complicated ordeal in my house. It involves the wife, the kids, the dog, the cats and days on the net searching for reference pics and ideas. 

KLPu0c.jpg
hokrrq.jpg
Sq3zq2.jpg

Not this time tho. For some unknown reason, an idea just popped in my head and everyone unanimously agreed on it. 

In case you're wondering, the base for the accent color (the drivetrain and half the body) is Tamiya's Copper PS-14, shot through and airbrush right out of the can. It will be followed by PPG's Cinnamon pearl candy. 

Edited by mrm
  • Like 1

I do believe it was Hendrix that offered these Fordor bodies for a while. They also had an AMT based version. I had wanted to get one cause I’m weird and like the Fordor’s but I never got around to it and missed out. It’s really cool to see one getting put together!

?

7 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Some very tasty colors there. I'd have to use a different spoon to eat my Cheerios every day for several months to find out which looked best with those milk white and oat tan colors!

Tom, thank you. 

I guess I am lucky, as I don't like cereals. LOL. 

10 minutes ago, Dennis Lacy said:

I do believe it was Hendrix that offered these Fordor bodies for a while. They also had an AMT based version. I had wanted to get one cause I’m weird and like the Fordor’s but I never got around to it and missed out. It’s really cool to see one getting put together!

?

Thank you Dennis. from looking at other posts I believe the company that made the body is Star Models or something else with the word "Star" in it. I don't remember when or where I bought it from. 

Today I had to run some errands, so Day 3 was not that productive.

I still managed to spray the top coat on the drivetrain.

4YUdFc.jpg

And to correct the boo-boos on the fender/chassis assembly that the first coat of primer revealed.

uYMdf8.jpg

Now a new dilemma! 8 choices for steering wheels.......

ppAYgH.jpg

9 hours ago, mrm said:

Today I had to run some errands, so Day 3 was not that productive.

I still managed to spray the top coat on the drivetrain.

4YUdFc.jpg

And to correct the boo-boos on the fender/chassis assembly that the first coat of primer revealed.

uYMdf8.jpg

Now a new dilemma! 8 choices for steering wheels.......

ppAYgH.jpg

If I had to chose I would pick either of the two on the right or left ends of the top row.

Oliver, Tom, Craig and Claude, thank you all for the input.

Considering that this will be the FAMILY Deuce, I have to take into consideration mainly the opinion of the family. To my surprise the winning votes go to the steering wheel that is second from the right on the bottom. The point my wife made was, that this is not a sports car, but more of a family cruiser and therefore the wheel needs to be more "laid back" and ornate. Who am I to argue with a woman's logic?!?! LOL

So I skipped any work on the Deuce yesterday, but I plan making up for it today. So the fourth day starts with spicing up the interior a little, because it was way too plain.

I added some plastic rod where the door handles are going to be and made some "door pockets" (or bags or whatever they should be called) from really thin sheet styrene. Not much, but enough to brake up the plain sides.

uJ6oRD.jpg

While I was doing this I had two Foose F100 kits starring at me. So I had a funny thing go through my head "THE FAMILY FOOSE". So I waisted some time away from the Family Deuce to check out a "what-if" Family Foose.

q3LdDJ.jpg

Now I need to put that Foose thing away, before all hell breaks lose, so I can actually finish my Family Deuce project.