Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paste toothpaste for polishing.

I had a Toyota that the headlights were getting foggy and read some where that you could use good old tooth paste to get rid of the fog. It worked great and lasted 2 years. I came across a plastic windshield for a kit that had some scuff marks on it. You know that tooth paste did wonders. Just thought I'd through this out there. Not the gel type. The paste type.

Careful - test first. Different brands of toothpaste have different abrasives.  Some are fine, some are not.  Some toothpastes have a coarse abrasive and will "fog" plastic with a lot of fine scratches.  I tired that trick in my youger days and ended up getting a plastic polish to take out the toothpaste scratches.

1 hour ago, Muncie said:

Careful - test first. Different brands of toothpaste have different abrasives.  Some are fine, some are not.  Some toothpastes have a coarse abrasive and will "fog" plastic with a lot of fine scratches.  I tired that trick in my youger days and ended up getting a plastic polish to take out the toothpaste scratches.

Agree completely. These days I use only Wright's Silver Cream silver polish for plastic AND paint and couldn't be happier. 

6 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I had a Toyota that the headlights were getting foggy and read some where that you could use good old tooth paste to get rid of the fog. It worked great and lasted 2 years. I came across a plastic windshield for a kit that had some scuff marks on it. You know that tooth paste did wonders. Just thought I'd through this out there. Not the gel type. The paste type.

When I was young my older brothers had a motorcycle.  It got wrecked and the bubble shield on the helmet got some good scratches.  I was elected to help rub out the scratches with toothpaste.  It took quite awhile but it did work.

Meguiar's has a product called Plastx clear plastic cleaner and polish. This will also work on your 1:1 cars and trucks. I first used it years ago on the smoked plexiglass windshield on a ski boat I had back when headlights were made of glass instead of plastic on the 1:1's.  

I had a tube of Crest paste and was just playing around with a scrap piece of plastic. One day I'll learn that " This is nothing new here in the forum". The forum has been here a lot longer than I have been. Think twice I guess. :-)

5 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

I had a tube of Crest paste and was just playing around with a scrap piece of plastic. One day I'll learn that " This is nothing new here in the forum". The forum has been here a lot longer than I have been. Think twice I guess. ?

it will still be new to some of us mate, and tips like these are always handy to know

I haven't used toothpaste since my local shop started bringing in Tamiya compound over 30 years ago.  I'd never go back to it. 

Like 8-tracks and cassette answering machines, it's had it's day.

Edited by Can-Con

https://www.bare-metal.com/model-building-molding-specialty-items.html

This is still THE best polish for kit glass AND polishing paint jobs.  It's cheap and works pretty quickly on scuffed clear parts.  I spent a lot of money on different brands, for me this is it.  They have a decent price on their KLEEN KLAY too.

Edited by Greg Wann