Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting things straight

Getting the ends of rods tubes and square stock Straight can be a challenge if you are like me.

with a relatively cheap "V Block" like this one I purchased online.

DSC01343-vi.jpg

You can modify it for sanding a almost perfectly square face of your rod, tube, or whatever.

I C.A. glued (super glued) in a large enough square rod of evergreen to fill that groove in between the flats to keep smaller size pieces falling into it.

DSC01344-vi.jpg

So then can use the face of the "V Block" as a fixture to sand each part square.

DSC01345-vi.jpg

If you need to make multiple pieces the same length you can tack another piece as a stop. When done you just remove the Styrene parts, clean up with solvent(acetone works)

DSC01346-vi.jpg

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

30 minutes ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Getting the ends of rods tubes and square stock Straight can be a challenge if you are like me.

with a relatively cheap "V Block" like this one I purchased online.

DSC01343-vi.jpg

You can modify it for sanding a almost perfectly square face of your rod, tube, or whatever.

I C.A. glued (super glued) in a large enough square rod of evergreen to fill that groove in between the flats to keep smaller size pieces falling into it.

DSC01344-vi.jpg

So then can use the face of the "V Block" as a fixture to sand each part square.

DSC01345-vi.jpg

If you need to make multiple pieces the same length you can tack another piece as a stop. When done you just remove the Styrene parts, clean up with solvent(acetone works)

DSC01346-vi.jpg

Very cool!... I have a couple of v-blocks and 1"x2"x3" blocks also.... And a mini machinist vice....

24 minutes ago, Deuces said:

Very cool!... I have a couple of v-blocks and 1"x2"x3" blocks also.... And a mini machinist vice....

good tools to have around for sure. 

They come in handy, you just have to think about how they can help you.

I'm still looking for a good machinist vice, They are sort of costly (for a good one) Should have

saved my stuff from when I was doing machine work, ARRRRGH!

?