Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vannonball Ultimate Adventure G30 Van

So, this is my entry into the 2019 Vannonball Run Community Build. 

My goal with this Van was to build a Van that looked like it was from 1976. I wanted a 4 wheel drive van that could head off the main road should the cops be looking for us. Being a full camper it allows the drivers to rotate out and get some sleep between driving shifts. It also have a full kitchen and toilet so stops can be reduced to get more time on the road. Then, once the race is over the van can be used to tour the country and camp in and have more adventures. 

I started with an AMT Rescue Van, it is a G20 2wd. This kit is OK, but really lacks details of any kind. There are no interior panel, door panels, etc. I also wanted this to be a 4x4 and it was not.

I started with some parts from B&N and Fireball. I got wheels and tires from Fireball and the axles, and front bumper from B&N. I had to remove all the 2wd stuff and build custom springs for the front. B&N also supplied the transfer case. Custom drive shafts were made to connect it all. 

The body needed a lot of work. I removed the lower trim to give it the older look. I opened the rear doors and converted the side sliding door to 2 hinged doors. The drip rail was and missing body line at the roof were added as AMT left them out. Various small additions were made to the outside of the body that would be on a camping van(water, power, sewer, heater, etc.) I cut in a side window and added a propane tank under the drivers side. 

Edited by Oldmopars

The high top is not from any van kit, it was made out of a top from a MANN truck cab. I had to build it, cut it down the middle to narrow it, then cut it in half and lengthen it. This took a lot of work, but gives the van standing room inside for more comfortable travel. I left ir removable so I could photo the interior. 

Inside the van is where even more work was done. I created a full camper interior to include a bathroom, sink, stove, bed/couch, table, fridge and several drawers. The front doors received door panels that were missing from AMT design. I also created interior walls for the inside of the van like the real thing would have had. 

The front bumper from B&N got the winch and "Bull Bar". The paint is all Rustoleum and in colors to match the 70's theme I was after. I finished it off with a large Indian decal and several cation and warning decals on the different doors and propane tank. 

As for the engine, well it is in there. It is a Stroker 383 (because I said so) with enough performance mods to move this beast down the road at race speeds. However it is all hidden by the bodywork and once sealed up all you get to see is the oil pan and transmission, but I swear it is all there. 

I spent a ton of time on this one, 10 months and I am mostly pleased with the results. It was a fun build and cool to get to build my dream camper van. 

I don't know where to begin with the compliments. Great ideas and execution.
One question (caution...I might "borrow" the idea LOL)...How did you fabricate the tinted window (near the dining area) ? It looks pretty awesome (period correct) ! ?

On 10/10/2019 at 6:30 AM, LouO said:

I don't know where to begin with the compliments. Great ideas and execution.
One question (caution...I might "borrow" the idea LOL)...How did you fabricate the tinted window (near the dining area) ? It looks pretty awesome (period correct) ! ?

It is just clear plastic that I have for making windows and I "Tinted" it with some spray bumper coating paint. I just sprayed it very lightly

• 2 weeks later...