Model Cars Magazine Forum

GT Kustom Krome Service & Procucts AWESOME!!!!

I just received my first order yesterday of rechromed parts that I sent out to George Hernandez at GT Kustom Krome and I am totally satisfied and happy with the chroming done and the fast service - so much so that my second batch of parts is already enroute to receive George's magic touch.  His prices, as far as I am concerned are pretty good at $5.00 to redo a bumper versus buying used parts on that auction site plus contending with what seem to be ever rising shipping costs and in my case, an 8+5 state sales tax on the item plus the shipping. The really nice thing with George is you send the parts and he mounts them on frames to go to the chrome shop. The man gets an AAA+++ rating from me for service and quality. I am VERY happy to have access to this service..  I just thought people may want to know about this.

I'm glad to hear that you are happy with the service. While it is good that he mounts single parts himself (it works well for some modelers), I really need a plating service where I can send in my own parts rack (like ChromeTech USA offered).  I don't just send out onsies and twosies. I have bunch of parts to be plated, many are very small and chances are that they would get lost if ai sent them individually. I also apply liquid mask to the mounting areas of the parts, so after plating I can easily remove the plating, exposing bare plastic where I will apply glue.  Again, that is something that George will not do.

Here is an example of a rack of parts which I assembled and sent out to be plated (in the photo some parts were already removed).  You can see why I really need to mount my own parts.

PartsRackChromed.JPG

• 3 months later...

Hey! Great to hear about GT Kustom Krome!!!! I also understand where peteski is coming from! Some parts you want to mount yourself! You don't need that crucial part missing!! Perhaps if packaged well, GT will accept your "Chrome Tree" to perform their magic? I have had ZERO luck with Alclads! Not shiny enough for me!! Thanks impcon for the intel !!! I will look them up! Hopefully ship to the Great White North??

1 hour ago, Lorne said:

Hey! Great to hear about GT Kustom Krome!!!! I also understand where peteski is coming from! Some parts you want to mount yourself! You don't need that crucial part missing!! Perhaps if packaged well, GT will accept your "Chrome Tree" to perform their magic?

It is not just that I don't want any parts lost, but if you look at the photo of my parts, many are very small and delicate. No way you can just plop them into some silicone glue. I had to drill holes in them and glue in brass rods for mounts. I would not expect this type of service being done by the person who does the "chroming".  Plus, they would not know where I want to install the brass mounts (unless I explained it, maybe by drawing diagram).  I also use liquid mask on many parts to prevent the clear coat and the metal coat from covering bare plastic. Again, nothing that could realistically be done by the person doing the service.  I really need to do those things myself and just send a complete tree out.

Edited by peteski

2 hours ago, peteski said:

??  You pay $2.50 for processing the entire tree?!

:D

I imagine that he charges somewhat as Chrome Tech did.

I believe they charged $28.00 for a 8" x 8" rack.

I could fit somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 to 15 bumpers, grilles, etc, on a rack.

At $5.00 apiece, that would be around $75.00.

I usually could fit a bunch of small parts on that same rack, so in individual parts terms, you might be looking at $100.00.

It's much more cost effective, but more work for you to mount them yourself.

It's also a lot less work for the provider, which is why he can pass along the savings to you.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

15 hours ago, peteski said:

??  You pay $2.50 for processing the entire tree?!

13 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

:D

I imagine that he charges somewhat as Chrome Tech did.

I believe they charged $28.00 for a 8" x 8" rack.

I could fit somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 to 15 bumpers, grilles, etc, on a rack.

At $5.00 apiece, that would be around $75.00.

I usually could fit a bunch of small parts on that same rack, so in individual parts terms, you might be looking at $100.00.

It's much more cost effective, but more work for you to mount them yourself.

It's also a lot less work for the provider, which is why he can pass along the savings to you.

Steve

Thanks Steve ,, Yes, after re-reading it I see I could have worded that better. ?