Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gasser ?

Greg Myers

22 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Here's one i did for a club theme build, Pontiacs. Not much of a Poncho fan but i dug this up and after reading something in a car mag about all those faux gassers, you know, 

Too high, Tinted windows, tinted headlights, whitewalls, etc. 

1st_Place_64_GTO_Gasser_Greg_Myers.jpg

Very nice build, and captures the look of contemporary gasser "tributes." 

I don't recall ever seeing a '64 GTO or anything similar as a gasser back in the day. Anyone with the cash to chop up a brand-new car into a gasser would more likely have built it as an A/FX, or just moved up to a full-on dragster. Gassers were more low-budget, backyard projects that started with older, MUCH less valuable starting points. (Okay, yah, there were a few gasser Sting Rays.) 

All that said, though, this is still a cool model. B)

On 10/9/2019 at 8:53 PM, Snake45 said:

Very nice build, and captures the look of contemporary gasser "tributes." 

I don't recall ever seeing a '64 GTO or anything similar as a gasser back in the day. Anyone with the cash to chop up a brand-new car into a gasser would more likely have built it as an A/FX, or just moved up to a full-on dragster. Gassers were more low-budget, backyard projects that started with older, MUCH less valuable starting points. (Okay, yah, there were a few gasser Sting Rays.) 

All that said, though, this is still a cool model. B)

Snake, remember seeing  a 65 and 67 GTO "Gassers" at US 30 and Great Lakes in the late 70's. The 65 had been converted by the original owner to its racing form in 1966 according to the then owner.

The 67 was restored back to original in the late 80's by a local guy who actually was able to track down the original engine!

There were a lot of street gassers here local for a few years. (then they all seemed to disappear into a black hole or something???) Some home builds and some were ex drag cars made streetable! (barely) Most were early Falcons and Chevy II's with a mix of 50's shoebox Fords and Tri Five Chevy's.