Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to apply metal stickers

I`m building the Ebbro Citroen DS 21.
But I don’t know how to apply the metal stickers.
I don’t know how to take them loose without destroying them.
I have used other brand of stickers, with no problems.

I need some help.

/Bo

DSC07909.JPG

Cut around the metal transfer you need to use, peel off the backing paper,leaving the transfer on the clear carrier film, place where it's got to be applied, burnish down with a burnishing tool or similar, and then peel off the clear carrier film, the chrome transfer will stay in place.

Thanks for your answer, but it´s not working for me.

I don´t think there is no carrier film, and it’s hard to get rid of the backing paper without destroying the sticker.
I have applied metal stickers before and they have the carrier film.

If you're very careful you might be able to get them off using a scalpel to lift one end, get that part burnished down well, then using a hairdryer to warm the sticker and loosen the glue work slowly back peeling the backing away as you go. You may need to warm a little bit at a time and/or let it cool again during the process to save warming the paint and sticker too much

Edited by stitchdup
poor grammar

I have that kit (unassembled).  I was surprised not to find instructions on how to apply metal stickers (just decal instructions).

I examined the metal sticker sheets carefully and they appear to be decals too. Even the numbers on the sheet have clear film under them.  That is likely why there are no separate instructions for the metal stickers.

So, I would say that you should cut out the metal sticker you want to apply, place it in water, just like regular decals.  When it is ready, slide the metal sticker onto the model.  If you are worried, do a test application using one of the numbers in a circle.  But I'm pretty sure that these are waterslide metal stickers.  This is the first time I have encounter those.

21 hours ago, peteski said:

I have that kit (unassembled).  I was surprised not to find instructions on how to apply metal stickers (just decal instructions).

I examined the metal sticker sheets carefully and they appear to be decals too. Even the numbers on the sheet have clear film under them.  That is likely why there are no separate instructions for the metal stickers.

So, I would say that you should cut out the metal sticker you want to apply, place it in water, just like regular decals.  When it is ready, slide the metal sticker onto the model.  If you are worried, do a test application using one of the numbers in a circle.  But I'm pretty sure that these are waterslide metal stickers.  This is the first time I have encounter those.

Thanks, yes it works.
But they are a little bit stiff, I wonder how it will be on the head light lenses.

18 hours ago, Zoom said:

Thanks, yes it works.
But they are a little bit stiff, I wonder how it will be on the head light lenses.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. As for the headlight trim, I guess you will let us all know how it worked. You'll be the first to try. :)

If it were me, I'd probably slide the tip of my xacto knife under and edge of desired piece.  Lift it carefully and postion with knife.   Hold in place with finger while pulling knife tip out.     With no clear carrier, that's about all I can think of.  And I have losts pieces like that in the past.  

Or maybe use some clear tape (like you use to wrap gifts).  The weaker the better.  If really sticky, then I'd press it against my shirt first to lessen the stickiniess.  Rub that over the transfer and pick it up.  Place on model, burnish down as stated above.  Maybe let it sit a few seconds for the part to stick more.  Then remove the tape, being careful to not pick up part.  

Good luck.

On 10/11/2019 at 8:34 AM, randyc said:

If it were me, I'd probably slide the tip of my xacto knife under and edge of desired piece.  Lift it carefully and postion with knife.   Hold in place with finger while pulling knife tip out.     With no clear carrier, that's about all I can think of.  And I have losts pieces like that in the past. 

. . .

Good luck.

But these metal decals do have clear carrier film (just like regular decals do).

9 hours ago, peteski said:

But these metal decals do have clear carrier film (just like regular decals do).

Well that is interesting then.  I will be interested in seeing how this turns out.  In case I ever run into that situation.