Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gen 7 race car tests at Richmond

Vietnam Vet67

I do not SEE anything that is going to lead to much lower costs.....which is a major reason for the next Gen car. The composite body may be cheaper.....depends on how they do it and how much $$$$ each cost. Alloy wheels and low profile tires are NOT more cost effective than steel wheels and tires Goodyear has been making for many years. Sorry....no impressed.......glad I saw and was in the sport in it's heyday.

gonna reserve judgement on this until I see what the actual car is going to look and see what improvements are being made.....but I do know that the rims won't stand up to the hits and stresses that the cars see in the current model.  these aren't racing rims, they look like the rims you get from one of those rent and ride stores....the other thing is the tires...low profile might seem like a good idea, but I see more tire failures...places like Daytona and Talledega?  I see them rolling off the beads....but maybe not!  have to wait and see...

Years ago NASCAR started mandating parts to teams, everything from fuel cans to shocks and even airguns. IMO this is just another example of the France Family Circus to control what happens on the track. What's next yellow flags for no apparent reason! 

1 hour ago, James2 said:

Years ago NASCAR started mandating parts to teams, everything from fuel cans to shocks and even airguns. IMO this is just another example of the France Family Circus to control what happens on the track. What's next yellow flags for no apparent reason! 

Yellow flags at odd times is called 'Marcel Debris' and that comes from a long time NASCAR official. 

2 hours ago, James2 said:

What's next yellow flags for no apparent reason! 

It's allready here, at the end of stage1 and 2, in my opinion not needed and it would be more interesting if it stayed green through the stage ends so the race continues.
As it is now you allready know the yellow flag will fly at the stage ends and it's boooring.
And I don't like the larger rims, it looks like it could be any race car except a NASCAR car, 15 inch steel wheels has been synonymous with NASCAR since the beginning, and the wheel size decides how large brakes you can have.
What's next...carbon brakes...center nut wheels...air jacks...pressurized fuel rig...in that case it's like any other racing series and not NASCAR anymore...not the right way to regain interest for the sport.

Edited by Force

Nice to see more realistic wheel sizes...15 inch seems pretty tiny and outdated, compared to street cars...after all, NASCAR uses the names and branding of street cars on their race cars, and in the real world, Mustangs, Camaros and Camrys have 17, 18 inch and larger wheels these days..larger wheels allow for larger brakes, which is a good thing.   It's not a vintage racing/nostalgia series...

Edited by Rob Hall

Composite bodies? How am I gonna make a realistic-looking wrecked model now? Dang! Just when I thought I'd almost mastered bent sheet metal on plastic models! Oh well, I've got a whole box full of old NASCAR models in various states of disrepair. That'll keep me busy for a while.

IMG_4164.jpeg

Edited by Shambles

The cost savings will not come from the car.  It will come from the payroll savings because the teams are not going to require the personnel to build the cars.  The bodies and frames will be built by suppliers, not by the teams.  This will lead to a large reduction in the employees needed at the teams.  Payroll and benefits are about 75% of a typical company's expenses.  This is precisely why a company slashes the number of workers when they have to cut costs.  It's the single biggest expense item on a company's books.

I wish NASCAR would go back to racing real stock cars, air bags and all. Run what you brung, like the good old days! I think it might just revive the shrinking fan base. Louise Smith's first race was in the family car which she wrecked. Apparently her family encouraged her to continue as witnessed by the "Smith Auto Parts" sponsor.

Edited by Shambles

6 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Yellow flags at odd times is called 'Marcel Debris' and that comes from a long time NASCAR official. 

5 hours ago, Force said:

It's allready here, at the end of stage1 and 2, in my opinion not needed and it would be more interesting if it stayed green through the stage ends so the race continues.
As it is now you allready know the yellow flag will fly at the stage ends and it's boooring.
And I don't like the larger rims, it looks like it could be any race car except a NASCAR car, 15 inch steel wheels has been synonymous with NASCAR since the beginning, and the wheel size decides how large brakes you can have.
What's next...carbon brakes...center nut wheels...air jacks...pressurized fuel rig...in that case it's like any other racing series and not NASCAR anymore...not the right way to regain interest for the sport.

I was being completely sarcastic! 

9 hours ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

Aren't those rims and tires on that car just for moving around in that parking lot? I think it's likely they'll put familiar racing rims and tires on it for the testing.

No, that is what is being tested, NASCAR is moving to a 18 inch wheel with more than likely a single lug.

No, I think you missed the point to this car - lowering costs.

For one, the body will be the SAME for every car on the track - yep we're back to headlight decals and the car name across the top of the windshield.

The chassis and body will be provided by a supplier and the body/chassis will meet strict measurement rules. No more need to bother with wind tunnel testing and massaging a piece of sheet metal just so - not going to happen. Modifications to the body/chassis will not be tolerated.

Engines are already pretty identical - if the name wasn't on the valve cover you wouldn't know which engine it was and now the talk is about Hybrids.

Not sure about the wheel deal, I think they will stay with the metal rims but they will no longer be 15" units.

And as someone mentioned, you have now eliminated building a chassis, building bodies, painters (all cars are covered in wraps), fabricators (wiring harnesses and electrical components will be the same, all plumping will be identical) , wrecked cars will go back for recycling to the suppliers. That's a lot of jobs that are going to be gone - forever gone. I hope the boys and girls that are employed with this stuff now are taking a serious look around for work in the near future - it's time to move on.

This will be the final nail in the NASCAR coffin - it's been coming for quite some amount of time now. People are not attending the events, the next television contracts are going to be horrible and NASCAR continues to think that they are putting on a great show. I live near one of the last, best short tracks still in operation. Last fall, friends of mine walked up to the gate with about 20-25 minutes to go before the green flag for the Saturday night, Cup race - paid $25 for an adult ticket and walked in. They could sit anywhere they wanted to - the reserved seating was roughly only 60-65% full. This was the event that decided the final group standing for a shot at the championship last year and literally no one was there.

People say that NASCAR will survive in spite of itself - I don't believe that. To my knowledge there is not one team on the circuit now that has one single sponsorship package. All of them have multiple sponsors and some have sponsors that only do 8-12 races. Money wise, the situation is getting worse every year for the teams and their survival. Remember when NASCAR sold the teams on the whole charter arrangement? The idea was that owning the charter was akin to owning a business that could be sold. The problem now is that the charters are sort of worthless. Let's say Richard Childress says that's enough and his charters are for sale - who steps up in the current financial climate and makes that purchase?

And finally, this is mid-October. NASCAR has yet to announce any of the multi-tiered sponsors for 2020 as Monster Energy Drink ends their sponsorship November 17, 2019.

I know very few NASCAR fans that still watch like they did in the eighties and nineties. The cost and the France family is the biggest reason. The late yellow flag was such a joke we started calling it the close the gap flag.  

I am not sure the matched bodies and chassis will save the sport but it should save the teams money.  

7 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

I am not sure the matched bodies and chassis will save the sport but it should save the teams money.  

The only problem is, without TV viewers and money sponsors, there will be no money to save.  With all this push toward EPA mandates emission changes and forcing electric cars on the market the death knell rings even stronger.  Who wants to pay $100+ to watch a slot car race?  The roar of the engines is a major part of the complete experience.  Win on Sunday and sell on Monday is a thing of the past.  Another issue is the younger generations are not showing the same interest in cars as those now  presently supporting NASCAR.

A few points.........

Per an interview on Race Hub the manufactures are working on bodies to submit to NASCAR so there will not be ONE body.

This is getting very close to a SCCA Trans Am spec car. NASCAR just needs to say so.....the SCCA has better ideas.

The cost savings comes from laying off MANY folks in the shops....not lower car cost. Sad day in Mooresville in 2021 (many fewer fab and body guys and gals)

Those alloy wheels would not last one lap at the Rpval and got to be a lot more costly than steel wheels. .

I'll take a wait and see. But it starting to sound like a IROC series and I'll have free Sundays in the future.