Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/18 Maisto 1965 Chevrolet Corvette

Junkman

I just couldn't resist. I'm the Junkman after all.

48811530577_061ae94cea_c.jpg

It came with a bloody WARNING, of all things rotten!

48811388961_a001f09256_c.jpg

But just look at this lethally dangerous weapon of mass destruction the possession of which will likely get me arrested soon.

48811038943_97e7dd9b13_c.jpg

48811542092_dbb8e65be4_c.jpg

48811397946_d03416f73b_c.jpg

48811395791_85cba592cc_c.jpg

48811040748_cbe5fb9188_c.jpg

Edited by Junkman

Very nice model, but it's just way too big. B)

What was somebody thinking when they picked lime green for the color? Not even close to anything available from ANY US factory in 1965. 

And a '65 Vette white interior would have black dashboard and carpets. Then again, with that lime green paint, you can call the whole thing a "mild custom," so why not? Might as well go all the way and put some kind of custom wheels and tires on it. B)

I have this ssame one in blue "poly".   Not sure which blue it is supposed to represent, Lemans, Marina, etc.   Just the same old medium metallic every diecast mfr has a giant tank of.    I think I'm gonna sell it as I found my 65 plastic built up.   Smaller, takes up less space, etc.   

What that said, the interior conversion is magnificent!  That's almost inspriring enough to make me do that to mine!  I do like the green, even if it's not a prototypical color.

Oh yeah, do you have the JUNKMAN 51 Mercury 1/18 in the movie box?  Seems like that would be a great addition to your collection if not.  It's a nice bright orange metallic, based on teh Amercan Graffiti kit, if memory serves.  I'd havae to look at mine again to be sure.   

Edited by randyc

12 minutes ago, randyc said:

I have this ssame one in blue "poly".   Not sure which blue it is supposed to represent, Lemans, Marina, etc.   Just the same old medium metallic every diecast mfr has a giant tank of. 

IMO it actually does quite a good job approximating 1965 Nassau Blue Poly.
They currently have them at Costco for 15 quid a toss and I might go for one, then doing the interior prototypically correct.

Yes, mine became a mild custom after someone at Maisto had the brilliant idea to have a batch painted that colour. I even removed the emblems. They were that tampo printed nonsense and I rather have none than those.
Consequently it proved me with the artistic licence to do the interior like I want it and not having to clone what's correct. I was toying with the idea to swap the wheels, but currently find them way too pretty.
This may change in future, since I think they would look ace on a (mild custom) Bburago '57.

A while ago I asked MCG whether they would do etch sets in 1/18 but although they'd be technically well capable of doing so, they are busy enough as is.

Maistos are incredible value for money. They just need to be brought to life. It's all there, but usually everything is just black plastic, so you can't really appreciate the effort that went into them.
For example, the 'vette dash has all the control lights and indicator arrows replicated.

ok, Nassau blue.   Yes it is a nice replica and they are often great values.   I ended up with this one because I owned a hobby shop at the time and this one was missing a spinner on one of the wheels.  I was collecting 1/18 at the time as well.   My only nit with 1/18 is they are sometimes crude, especially the older Ertl models.  And they take up so much more space.   At any given time, we have around 200 cars on display in our living room.   I'm down to about 20 1/18s in all that.   With 1/18s I could only get around 150 cars or less on display.   I'm trying to get my collection to 1/24 or smaller except for the "must haves" - the Amercan graffiti cars, a few customs (JunkMan 51 included) and the 2 really nice Ertl's I have.  the 57 chrysler 300 and 57 tbird.   Funny how the nicest models come in boxes that you can't see the cars, right?

On 10/10/2019 at 5:10 PM, Junkman said:

Are you people interested in them?
Would you like me to show you more of them?

It's a "definitely!" from me.

I sold all my 1:18th and switched to 1:43rd to save space but I still like to see what's available.