Model Cars Magazine Forum

Benetton B188

Brudda

Beautiful and famous car. Gerhard Berger used to pilot it. I was lucky enough to actually sit in it as teenager, at the Geneva Auto Salon back in the early '90s. 

Paint looks excellent. 

Would love to see it finished. 

9 hours ago, mrm said:

Beautiful and famous car. Gerhard Berger used to pilot it. I was lucky enough to actually sit in it as teenager, at the Geneva Auto Salon back in the early '90s.

Sorry to say, but you are wrong.  The B188 is the 1988 car, Gerhard Berger raced for Ferrari since 1987. In 1986 he raced for Benetton in the B186 car. He won the Mexican Grand Prix in it, his first career win.

2 hours ago, da Speedinger said:

Sorry to say, but you are wrong.  The B188 is the 1988 car, Gerhard Berger raced for Ferrari since 1987. In 1986 he raced for Benetton in the B186 car. He won the Mexican Grand Prix in it, his first career win.

I stand corrected. You are absolutely right about Berger. I am pretty sure however that the car I sat in was this B188. It was either 1990 or ‘91 when it happened. I used to have a photo somewhere, which is long gone probably. 

43 minutes ago, mrm said:

I stand corrected. You are absolutely right about Berger. I am pretty sure however that the car I sat in was this B188. It was either 1990 or ‘91 when it happened. I used to have a photo somewhere, which is long gone probably. 

n.p., Austrian petrolheads have to know such things by heart, otherwise they are expatriated ;)

Thank you guys! Well disaster on the decal! Need to find a new set. The old tamiya decals really are bad. Soo a shelved model until I find new decals. Indy cals do not have them so it’s going to be a adventure finding them. Any help finding new ones would be greatly appreciated. 

36F72566-5513-43DC-B2A4-A8CC6273C7E8.jpeg

On 10/13/2019 at 11:08 AM, Brudda said:

Thank you guys! Well disaster on the decal! Need to find a new set. The old tamiya decals really are bad. Soo a shelved model until I find new decals. Indy cals do not have them so it’s going to be a adventure finding them. Any help finding new ones would be greatly appreciated. 

36F72566-5513-43DC-B2A4-A8CC6273C7E8.jpeg

If you PM me I think I have the kit.  I doubt I will ever build it.  

7 hours ago, Jim in Falls said:

I think Gehard Berger raced for Benetton in 1997 - a guy I know has one of these cars that he races at Road America in vintage events. It has a Judd engine instead of the original, which I think was a Renault. Under two minute laps.

'96 and '97 to be precise. for his final 2 years of F1 racing he returned to Benetton swapping his Ferrari cockpit with a youngster called Michael Schumacher ...