Model Cars Magazine Forum

me like! 1978 Dodge Monaco CHP

Luc Janssens

1 minute ago, RichCostello said:

Is this the same as the Joker Goon Car kit?

Yes, with some additions.

I read on another board that they have retooled the better/ square lightbar for it (I think the one from the old "Force 440" kit), and new wheels (stock depth, I would guess they're the same ones that were in the recent 1978 Dodge Pickup) presumably with skinnier tires. All previous issues of this kit had super-wide steel wheels with MPC's NASCAR tires.  

I'd like to see if they replaced/ redid the steering wheel (as these always came with the 'Tuff" wheel)- incorrect for probably any Cop Car, a holdover from the days that these were the 2-door Dodge Monaco Sport.    

It would have been nice if they added a new, improved (more stock) Air Cleaner and Thermoquad carb. That would have been a total Baller move...

41 minutes ago, alexis said:

Man, another Must Have Kit from Round2.  The CHP Push Bar is a great upgrade as well. I could also wish for re-tooled hub caps, but that may be a bridge too far. Either Way, I'm happy.

The caps...

...my guess is that they'll throw in the new ones from the Dodge Pickup. They're a little better than the ones in the Monaco kit, not fantastic...but...

...the box seems to show the Cop Car (ventilated) caps. I wonder if we're getting those, or if we'll be getting decals for the caps representing the vents... 

26 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

The caps...my guess is that they'll throw in the new ones from the Dodge Pickup.

Likely the wheels and caps from the recently reissued '78 Dodge pickup kit, and probably the Goodyear Polyglas tires, too.

22 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

The caps...

...my guess is that they'll throw in the new ones from the Dodge Pickup. They're a little better than the ones in the Monaco kit, not fantastic...but...

...the box seems to show the Cop Car (ventilated) caps. I wonder if we're getting those, or if we'll be getting decals for the caps representing the vents... 

Interesting points — the box art clearly shows the ventilated hub caps (optional, earliest available mid year ‘77) on the standard disc wheels (‘76 and earlier). The slotted wheels shown in Dodge Driver’s post were ‘77 and later.  Whatever they put in the box, it looks to be accurate or at least a whole heckuva lot more accurate than ever before!

Another note - the light bar is a Federal Twin Sonic; previously seen in the Force 440 kit. 

The push bar is new tooling.

What we don’t yet know is the interior equipment. Suggestions were made for more accurate components, but we don’t know what they decided.

37 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Yeah, a quick cell phone pic in a crowded room.  

We can make out enough details to see what is being included-- new light bar, multi-piece push bar, and four 4-slot steel wheels...and CHP decals.

On 10/11/2019 at 4:40 PM, Luc Janssens said:

Not Bill, but I saw it too, it was Terry Jessee who broke the news on spotlight hobbies, and on FB I saw that Jairus Watson was doing the box-art

That sent me on an OCD fueled hunt for Terry's post over at SH MB, but never did find it. Just wanted to get as much news & views on the kit as possible. Such as, when available?