Model Cars Magazine Forum

me like! 1978 Dodge Monaco CHP

Luc Janssens

Looking forward to the update. It's been getting kinda old robbing parts and tires from other builds to make a respectable Monaco/Fury. Hopefully there's a few more newer parts they just haven't shown yet...but I'm not getting my hopes up given how many times its been repopped...

Jeff

Looks like the police weapons/equipment are the same as every version of this kit.  A service revolver, AR-15-ish rifle, sniper-ish rifle and M2 .30 caliber carbine. Plus a tear-gas gun and pump shotgun. And two radio consoles; one for under the dash, the other the vintage computer keyboard with first-aid kit attached.

Just FYI, Master Box does a series of 1/24 scale figures called "The Heist."  It consists of 2 bad guys trying to get away with a duffel bag of cash, 2 cops blasting away at them, and a wounded female victim. The weapons and police gear are way too modern for a '78 Dodge, but a dedicated diorama builder could fix that. 

heist-1.jpg

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Has anyone converted the manual trans to a 727 in this kit ? I'm not talking about swapping the 1971 Charger chassis , etc. , for the kit's so-so arrangement ; I'm talking about only converting it to a correct transmission .  

The easiest solution is to replace the whole engine with the one from Revell’s ‘68 and ‘69 Dodge Darts. It’s a 383 but could stand in for a 400 or 440, and it comes with a really nice Torqueflite auto trans. 

The exhaust manifolds on the Dart engine are A-body only, but if they bug you, you could use the ones from the Monaco kit, or from the AMT ‘71 Charger. If one would go to that trouble, though, they would probably want to do the whole chassis and engine swap with the Charger kit anyway. 

I think that engine, when painted the proper blue, would be a great improvement over the MPC kit engine as-is. 

Fred Cady decals used to make a nice set of RCMP decals which could be used for the most part for a period correct RCMP cruiser. There's a seller on Ebay who could proably make them as well, same for the MN SP...I have a feeling this update will be a much bigger seller than all the repops combined...

Jeff

On 10/13/2019 at 1:06 AM, Can-Con said:

Anyone know if anyone makes RCMP decals that would be period correct for this kit? 

There used to be a really nice set from WaterMark Decals, but you may only find them on eBay now. The Fred Cady ones weren't bad, but they were the layer-as-you-go style of decals.

3 hours ago, RichCostello said:

Hey, LOOK, someone finally shot Taylor Swift!

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Heh!  The alt-music radio station in Los Angeles, KROQ, always called her "Taydolf Swiftler."

When did it become so difficult to either stay on topic or simply not type anything if you don't have anything to add to the conversation regarding the model kit being discussed?

There's nothing funny about either comment.

• 1 year later...

OK, so it's actually a Dodge Coronet, but the MPC Dodge Monaco would work just fine. I think the Goodyear Suburbanite tires would be too small for a full size car like this, but fortunately Scenes Unlimited has a few options which would work.

MonacoTaxi.jpg.afe7fb8c7467e1d328b85c11550829aa.jpg

On 1/22/2021 at 12:17 PM, Casey said:

OK, so it's actually a Dodge Coronet, but the MPC Dodge Monaco would work just fine. I think the Goodyear Suburbanite tires would be too small for a full size car like this, but fortunately Scenes Unlimited has a few options which would work.

MonacoTaxi.jpg.afe7fb8c7467e1d328b85c11550829aa.jpg

I wouldn't be upset if they did a taxi and subbed in a Slant Six or LA-block V8. Otherwise, not that tough to source either one.

Charlie Larkin

Actually, the Suburbanite tires are the same height as the Garden Variety Firestones AMT has given us for the last 40 years. I thought the Goodyear's looked too small as well, until I stood them next to each other. They are just as tall. Somehow they do 'look' small though, don't they. I wish Round2 would blow them up to a 7.00 x 16" truck tire size.

Not that it matters terribly ; the Coronet Taxi pictured is a 1975-1976 model . The Coronet name was dropped after 1976 , replaced with the Monaco name ( B-Body platform ; the Royal Monaco was still a C-Body until its demise after 1977 ) . Additionally ; the car pictured also has 1978 & later hub cap on the right-rear wheel .

Making the MPC 1977-1978 Monaco represent a taxi is an easy task , as the taxi shared the same interior as the police models (sans the Certified Speedometer -- unrecognisable in 1/25 scale ) which was a black rubber floor cover , and tan cloth & vinyl seats . Engines for the taxi were the 225-H.D. (backed with a 727) , or the 318-H.D (also with the 727) . Only police-spec models had the 360 two barrel , 360 high-perf , 400 two barrel , 400 high-perf , and the vaunted 440 high-perf .