Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford 49 coupe and 50 conv.

I picked up one of the 50 Ford conv. Kits at HL when they had there sale and saw it at Ollie’s too so I decided to get a second and look for a coupe body. I found a build up coupe on eBay but it didn’t have bumpers and a hood so I got it pretty cheap but after a little comparing I noticed the the coupe is a 49 not a 50 and hadn’t known that. I would like to keep it a 49 but does anyone know if the hood and bumpers are the same between the 2 in the kits?

7 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

I picked up one of the 50 Ford conv. Kits at HL when they had there sale and saw it at Ollie’s too so I decided to get a second and look for a coupe body. I found a build up coupe on eBay but it didn’t have bumpers and a hood so I got it pretty cheap but after a little comparing I noticed the the coupe is a 49 not a 50 and hadn’t known that. I would like to keep it a 49 but does anyone know if the hood and bumpers are the same between the 2 in the kits?

The trim parts, hood and grill will interchange with no problems just like the 1:1 cars. There is a difference with the trunk lid trim. The '49 had the two handles above the license plate and the '50 has a small cover above the license plate that has a different style trunk release and the license plate light. If you're building a showroom stock type build this would be something to pay attention to, otherwise just do whatever. The interior bucket might be the only real issue and that would only be if you were trying to switch them. The coupe has the shorter floor than the convertible kit. If you use the convertible interior in the coupe chassis you'll need to trim the back edge of the floor board on the chassis to clear. This really isn't a big deal and if you have both chassis you can compare them to see. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

The trim parts, hood and grill will interchange with no problems just like the 1:1 cars. There is a difference with the trunk lid trim. The '49 had the two handles above the license plate and the '50 has a small cover above the license plate that has a different style trunk release and the license plate light. If you're building a showroom stock type build this would be something to pay attention to, otherwise just do whatever. The interior bucket might be the only real issue and that would only be if you were trying to switch them. The coupe has the shorter floor than the convertible kit. If you use the convertible interior in the coupe chassis you'll need to trim the back edge of the floor board on the chassis to clear. This really isn't a big deal and if you have both chassis you can compare them to see. 

I want to use the 49 grille with the 50 front bumper so as long as that works I should be good then, I do have the interior tub and chassis from the 49 so I mostly need the bumpers and hood from the 50.

1 minute ago, alexis said:

If you use the '50 hood, you'll need to trim it to fit the '49 grille. Not a problem, though as, the OLD AMT thoughtfully molded a guideline, on the backside of the '50 hood, showing you where to trim it to fit.

ok awesome good to know I'll look over the hood and see if it's still there, thanks guys

If you're replicating a 'stock unmodified 49 model of the Ford the front trim differences on the hood are very minor. The '49 year model had F O R D lettering in an arc on the hood over the  center of the grill. The '50's had a Ford emblem in the center of the arc. The hood ornament on the '49 had a clear plastic fin, for lack of a better term, that encircled the raised center circle just past the half way point. The '50 year model this would have ended just before the top center of the circle. I know I'm counting rivets here, but if you want stock stock that was one of the very small differences. As Rodent pointed out the gas filler is an exposed cap on the driver's rear fender. Not hard to replicate with some scraps of a parts tree. 

51 minutes ago, espo said:

If you're replicating a 'stock unmodified 49 model of the Ford the front trim differences on the hood are very minor. The '49 year model had F O R D lettering in an arc on the hood over the  center of the grill. The '50's had a Ford emblem in the center of the arc. The hood ornament on the '49 had a clear plastic fin, for lack of a better term, that encircled the raised center circle just past the half way point. The '50 year model this would have ended just before the top center of the circle. I know I'm counting rivets here, but if you want stock stock that was one of the very small differences. As Rodent pointed out the gas filler is an exposed cap on the driver's rear fender. Not hard to replicate with some scraps of a parts tree. 

Count rivets, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Ok I can definitely make the cap but it looks like I may need to find a hood and ornament if I want it to be stock. Thanks...

38 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

Count rivets, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Ok I can definitely make the cap but it looks like I may need to find a hood and ornament if I want it to be stock. Thanks...

What trim parts do you think your missing ? The parts I have the hood ornament looks more like the '50 than a true '49. Do you have the correct trunk latch, gas cap or hum caps ? 

13 minutes ago, espo said:

What trim parts do you think your missing ? The parts I have the hood ornament looks more like the '50 than a true '49. Do you have the correct trunk latch, gas cap or hum caps ? 

I don't have the latch, gas cap or hub caps and hood and ornament. everything else I think can come from the 50. I could probably make the gas cap if needed.

forgot to add the quote....

Edited by SCRWDRVR

1 minute ago, SCRWDRVR said:

I don't have the latch, gas cap or hub caps and hood and ornament. everything else I think can come from the 50. I could probably make the cap if needed.

forgot to add the quote....

PM me your address and relook at the trim parts you may need. I can cover you on the hub caps, hood ornament , and gas cap. I relooked at some of my stash kits and the '50 hood ornament could never be mistaken for a '49. 

9 minutes ago, espo said:

PM me your address and relook at the trim parts you may need. I can cover you on the hub caps, hood ornament , and gas cap. I relooked at some of my stash kits and the '50 hood ornament could never be mistaken for a '49. 

PM sent, thanks for help....