Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Nascar Ford

Shambles

Another ambitious project, I found this old built up convertible on eBay. I loved the 50s and 60s nascar when they used to run convertibles. I put this one in the freezer for a few days, then disassembled it, and put in in the stripper this afternoon. I just found a photo of Joe Weatherly's 1960 Ford Convertible #12. SlotcarFever has the decals so I'm ordering them.

IMG_4346.jpeg

Edited by Shambles
correction

• 2 weeks later...

I got side tracked on some other projects last week, but I'm back on this one and the Louise Smith '49 Ford this weekend. The Joe Weatherly decals came in from SlotCarFever.com, and I'm moving along today. This old kit didn't come with a "racing" option so I'm winging it with some parts from my stash box. I've got a whole bag full of roll bars so I fit one through the rear seat cover. Primed yesterday, and first coats of Model Master white this afternoon. It's in the drying booth while I watch the rest of the Martinsville race.

IMG_4545.jpeg

IMG_4549.jpeg

IMG_4551.jpeg

Edited by Shambles

Going to be fun to watch come together.  I hope you are going to shorten that roll bar a bit, it seems quite tall in the picture. It should be equal with the windshield frame.   That is a mighty interesting tonneau cover you have on there, where did you find it?

Thanks, yall. Yes, the roll bar is resting on the rear arm rests in the photo, but will be shortened to windshield height when I'm done with the painting and glue the tonneau cover to the body. That cover was in the original box with some of the other loose parts so IDK if it came with the kit or not. That old AMT Mercury convertible kit in the bottom photo has a cover, but that kit had the "racing" option.

• 3 weeks later...