Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2's Vega Pro Stock bodies and Monaco Police Car parts on display at the NNL Nats yesterday...

tim boyd

1 hour ago, Mark said:

These are not "printed" prototypes, they are test shots from tooling that has been cut, and is being fine-tuned.  The early grille/bumper will be one piece as seen here.

IIRC the '71-73 Vega annual was like that, with the grille and bumper one piece. 

That's correct.  The bodies are improved over the originals in that they are now "dedicated" drag versions (no windshield wipers or scripts) and the rear wheel flares have been reworked to a more correct shape.  The smaller parts are for the most part straight-up copies of the original parts.

Two Vega bodies have been tooled: '71-'73, and '74-'75. 

'76-'77 (NOT being reissued) has a slightly different grille area and taillights.  Nobody really ran the '76-'77 style in Pro Stock: bucks-up teams switched to the Monza body, the rest stayed with the '74-'75 style Vega.  So no real need for the '76-'77 style body.

13 minutes ago, espo said:

Looking at the Vega bodies it looks like there may be an option on what year model you could build. 

Or they will be issuing 2 separate kits.   A '71-73 style Pro Stock and a '74-75 Pro Stock.   I know they had previously indicated the '74-75 would be the Bruce Larson USA-1 livery, I wonder what the '71-73 will be?  Bill Jenkins' Grumpys Toy like the original MPC kits? 

Edited by Rob Hall

Initial plans are to release the early Vega as a Jenkins car.  He had two of that style, the second of which eventually was updated to the '74 style.  His third/final Vega was a '74 from the start.

The '74 will first be issued as Bruce Larson's USA-1.  He had two Vegas, the first was the early style (later updated).  He later acquired another '74 to replace the first car.

No doubt if these go over well, both will be issued as other drivers' cars.

Edited by Mark
Spelling

10 hours ago, Mark said:

Two Vega bodies have been tooled: '71-'73, and '74-'75. 

'76-'77 (NOT being reissued) has a slightly different grille area and taillights.  Nobody really ran the '76-'77 style in Pro Stock: bucks-up teams switched to the Monza body, the rest stayed with the '74-'75 style Vega.  So no real need for the '76-'77 style body.

If both of these bodies are newly tooled, does that mean the old "Twister Vega" body remains intact? (really the 1978 Monza S). Not much love for that one, I know.

But I've always wanted to get a hold of one of those to do a mashup with the roof from the AMT Vega wagon funnycar to create a Monza Estate wagon.  I suppose you could do a similar combo with one of these new Vega bodies instead.

I guess the Monza S body still exists, but I wouldn't bet on seeing it again.  You'll probably see a bunch of those on eBay soon, as the hoarders attempt to dump theirs once the new versions become common knowledge...

1 hour ago, Mark said:

I guess the Monza S body still exists, but I wouldn't bet on seeing it again.  You'll probably see a bunch of those on eBay soon, as the hoarders attempt to dump theirs once the new versions become common knowledge...

Agreed.  Might be a good opportunity for someone like me looking for oddball stuff like that.

On 10/14/2019 at 7:55 AM, Mark said:

That's correct.  The bodies are improved over the originals in that they are now "dedicated" drag versions (no windshield wipers or scripts) and the rear wheel flares have been reworked to a more correct shape.  The smaller parts are for the most part straight-up copies of the original parts.

If true, is a big mistake being just drag kits. Baldwin Motion sold V8 Vegas for the public. So a stock body is a must.