Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bonneville to Parisienne

Anglia105E

2 hours ago, Foxer said:

Looks like a car you had .. the best kind of build.

Thanks, Mike..... I did own the car back in 1977, which was a '68 Pontiac Parisienne 4-door ( Canada ), 5.3 litre V8 ( 327 cu in ), RHD, Auto, paint colour was Mayfair Maize, with brown vinyl roof and green graduated windshield tint. Registration number plate was FCK 33 and I was just 24 years of age at the time!

David

2 hours ago, Reuhkapelti2 said:

Oh jeah this is something I'm going to follow. There's a handfull of job for you. Good luck and lot's of something we Finns call "SISU". That's like "not to ever give up no matter what". 

Thanks, Ismo..... and I will keep ' SISU ' in mind while I am working my way through this build. I shall not give up! The real challenge is the front end, which involves modifying the vertical twin headlamps to horizontal twin headlamps, the front grill, front panel, front wings / fenders at the front corners, and also the hood / bonnet front edge.

David

Anglia105E, --David I looked up GM colors for Canada  and U.S.. production and I found the yellow was Butternut Yellow for 1968,(codeYW ).not Mayfair Maze. Don't want to cause trouble with you!!!!! . Was this the original paint on the car you owned or was it repainted??Just being helpful here don't want to stifle your build!!!

Edited by paul alflen
spelling error

Cool project. The first thing that popped into my mind for the front end was bat mobile, may not even be close, but possibly a starting point?

edit, never mind just googled it, was thinking it looked different than it does.

Edited by tbill
Memmory is shot....

1 hour ago, paul alflen said:

Anglia105E, --David I looked up GM colors for Canada  and U.S.. production and I found the yellow was Butternut Yellow for 1968,(codeYW ).not Mayfair Maze. Don't want to cause trouble with you!!!!! . Was this the original paint on the car you owned or was it repainted??Just being helpful here don't want to stifle your build!!!

I am pleased that you mentioned the paint colour, Paul........ Having done a lot of research on the paint colour over the past few days, I have managed to source the paint in the UK, just as I was on the point of giving up the search and ordering from United States..... also, I can explain this colour, which is called Butternut Yellow for a Chevrolet, and it's called Cameo Cream for a Buick, then it's Mayfair Maize for a Pontiac, and Saffron for an Oldsmobile, and finally, it is Colonial Yellow for a Cadillac.

The paint supplier is sending me '68 Buick Cameo Cream, so I just hope it matches!

David

1 hour ago, tbill said:

Cool project. The first thing that popped into my mind for the front end was bat mobile, may not even be close, but possibly a starting point?

edit, never mind just googled it, was thinking it looked different than it does.

I must admit, Tom....... I had not considered the Batmobile !! The front centre chrome piece that projects forward from the Pontiac car is probably to represent a Red Indian Tomahawk, but some other members with more native American knowledge may correct me on that...... so I do see where you are coming from with your thinking.

David

David, Like I said in my PM with you, you're best course of action would be finding an old '68 builtup or resin and swapping the front , everything ahead of the doors and the back bumper. 

I know it may get a bit pricey but believe me, it really is the easiest way to go.

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

Cool build, these pontiacs have appealed to me since i found an old observers book of cars, they just looked like something futuristic to a kid on a tiny scottish island in the 80s. Will be following

Thanks, Leslie....... and I also remember the Observer's Book of Cars...... happy days, eh?

David

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

David, Like I said in my PM with you, you're best course of action would be finding an old '68 builtup or resin and swapping the front , everything ahead of the doors and the back bumper. 

I know it may get a bit pricey but believe me, it really is the easiest way to go.

Thanks, Steve...... and I did take notice of your PM, but so far I have not found anything in styrene, diecast or resin that comes close. No '68 Bonnevilles at all. The only thing I have seen, is that awful MPC 1:25 1970 Bonneville Convertible Pickup, which has the wrong front end completely, none of the panels match, it is 1970  and it's 1:25 scale, not 1:24. - The MPC kit does seem to have the same chassis, exhaust silencer system and interior tub as the resin cast '67 Bonneville that I now have. Looking on Ebay every day, there are no built-ups available to buy...... so this means that I have to go down the scratch building route, despite the extensive work needed.

David

Presume you know this, but the Parisienne was based on the Chevrolet chassis, so 5" shorter wheelbase than the US Pontiacs.   The Revell '65 or '66 Impalas would be ideal donors for the chassis, but both have big blocks, so you'd have to swap in a 327 from another kit.

I would think any resin bodies would be 1:25 to go with available kits, rather than 1:24?   Your '67 Bonneville is almost certainly a resin repop of the original MPC kit, which was reworked for each annual release.

Edited by dodgefever

37 minutes ago, dodgefever said:

Presume you know this, but the Parisienne was based on the Chevrolet chassis, so 5" shorter wheelbase than the US Pontiacs.   The Revell '65 or '66 Impalas would be ideal donors for the chassis, but both have big blocks, so you'd have to swap in a 327 from another kit.

I would think any resin bodies would be 1:25 to go with available kits, rather than 1:24?   Your '67 Bonneville is almost certainly a resin repop of the original MPC kit, which was reworked for each annual release.

Thanks for the response, Stu...... Yes, I know the Parisienne had body panels made in Canada, which were then mounted on a Chevrolet chassis, with Chevrolet engine and transmission and this translates to a 5" shorter wheelbase, with the car being 7" shorter overall than the Bonneville. I take your point about the Revell '65 or '66 Impala chassis, which as you say is ideal, but I am still wondering if the 0.2" difference ( or 5.3 mm ) is critical ? Apparently, the dashboard was also the '65 Chevy for the UK market ( RHD ). This resin kit that I received from the guy in Chicago, USA is definitely 1:24 scale and the MPC kit is indeed 1:25 scale, with a convertible body that can be cut down to a pickup...... apart from the chassis, interior tub and the exhaust system, the MPC kit is totally different and has no parts that could be used to build a Parisienne or Bonneville for '68, as it is 1970 version. Several members have suggested using the MPC kit, so you are not the only one, but I can't see how that kit could possibly help me. I am prepared to carry out quite a bit of scratch building with this one, because the car is very important to me. Good news today was finding a supplier in UK who can mix the correct paint colour, which is Pontiac Mayfair Maize, Buick Cameo Cream, Chevrolet Butternut Yellow ( all the same ). Your comments are much appreciated, Stu.

David

David, are you absolutely sure that body is 1/24 and not 1/25? 

Like Stu says above, it's probably and I'm 99% sure of this, it's probably based on the MPC '67 annual. 

I just measured my original , from tip of front fender to tip of rear fender on the ridge that runs the length of the body. Without bumpers, it measures almost exactly 22 cm.

If yours does also, it's 1/25. 

The guy you bought it from may have told you it's 1/24 but he may not know the difference either.

42 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Like Stu says above, it's probably and I'm 99% sure of this, it's probably based on the MPC '67 annual. 

I just measured my original , from tip of front fender to tip of rear fender on the ridge that runs the length of the body. Without bumpers, it measures almost exactly 22 cm.

The guy you bought it from may have told you it's 1/24 but he may not know the difference either.

Well, Steve..... you are absolutely correct. Just checked the same measurement as you did, and I get 22 cm precisely !

That has taken me by surprise, and has also made a mess of my maths too!

David

55 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

David, very cool project. Love me some Pontiacs!  Years ago, I had an argument with a model seller that said 1:24 and 1:25 were the same. I sent him photos of two of my built Mustangs, side-by-side, one 1:24 and one 1:25, and the argument was over. I ain't done many resins but the one or two I did referenced existing kits for donors.

Edited by Shambles

5 minutes ago, Shambles said:

David, very cool project. Love me some Pontiacs!  Years ago, I had an argument with a model seller that said 1:24 and 1:25 were the same. I sent him photos of two of my built Mustangs, side-by-side, one 1:24 and one 1:25, and the argument was over. I ain't done many resins but the one or two I did referenced existing kits for donors.

Thanks, John..... and the whole discussion over 1:24 scale and 1:25 scale is always an interesting one. You are correct, they do usually suggest a donor kit for a resin body model that doesn't have many parts. In this case the resin kit is more or less complete, and if I was building a '67 Bonneville 4-door there would be no problem.... I just happen to have chosen to build a '68 Parisienne 4-door, and in doing so making my life difficult.

David

This is simply a quick single coat of Halfords Grey Primer, to cover the resin parts. I don't particularly like sanding the bare resin because of the dust issue. I do wear a mask, and also disposable latex gloves, but then the dust has to be moved from the workbench to a safe disposal area, so if that first sanding step is not absolutely necessary then I skip it. As you can probably see from these few photos, the quality of Pedro's casting tells me I don't need to sand it any smoother. Once the primer has dried completely, I can see where I need to start cutting and shaping, sanding and modifying. Any imperfections should also show up, but haven't seen many yet.

David

101_1985.JPG

101_1986.JPG

101_1987.JPG

23 hours ago, dodgefever said:

Apologies, Stu..... it would appear that this Bonneville resin kit is indeed a 1:25 scale model, and not 1:24 as I thought. Thanks to Steve Milberry for checking the body measurements, I am now aware of this fact.

David

I just found this tonight, and I was wondering if any MCM forum members might know where I could get hold of the promo model or the kit ?

It is a '69 Pontiac Bonneville promo by MPC, and the kit appears to include an opening hood, engine and..... a canoe on the roof !

Although it is a 2 door, this model does seem to have a front end that I could make good use of. Please see following photos.

David

il_fullxfull.650590566_jucw.jpg

MPC_1_25_Bonneville_Promo.jpg

MPC1969PontiacBonnevilleHTboxa-vi.jpg

MPC1969PontiacBonnevilleHTboxb-vi.jpg