Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bonneville to Parisienne

Anglia105E

Find a resin 68 Bonneville. The 69 you found is fairly different than the 67-68. I had original 68 Bonneville, and the hood is virtually identical to your 67. You'd only need front fenders and grille, I think it also had under grille valance. 

65 Impala chassis slides right under. Easiest way

Here's 68 Bonneville

Image result for resin 68 bonneville 1/25 mpc

13 hours ago, DukeE said:

Find a resin 68 Bonneville. The 69 you found is fairly different than the 67-68. I had original 68 Bonneville, and the hood is virtually identical to your 67. You'd only need front fenders and grille, I think it also had under grille valance. 

Here's 68 Bonneville

Thanks, Duke..... that is the most useful information that I have received so far...... brilliant !

Providing I could get hold of a '68 Pontiac Bonneville 2-door, resin kit like the one in your photo, I could use the front grille for my '67 Bonneville 4-door and modify the front fenders myself. The car that I am building has to be a 4-door version, you see. This gives me new hope, so many thanks, Duke.

David

Glad to help. Just clip the front fenders and use the grille. The kit was an R&R, no longer producing. Front end of 67-68 are identical on 2 and 4 doors, so use the 4d you have. Rear ends likely easy to swap, mostly bumper. The hard part was getting the 4 door which you have. The rest is just fiddling, make it easy on yourself. :)

38 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Thanks, Duke..... that is the most useful information that I have received so far...... brilliant !

Providing I could get hold of a '68 Pontiac Bonneville 2-door, resin kit like the one in your photo, I could use the front grille for my '67 Bonneville 4-door and modify the front fenders myself. The car that I am building has to be a 4-door version, you see. This gives me new hope, so many thanks, Duke.

David

16 minutes ago, DukeE said:

Glad to help. Just clip the front fenders and use the grille. The kit was an R&R, no longer producing. Front end of 67-68 are identical on 2 and 4 doors, so use the 4d you have. Rear ends likely easy to swap, mostly bumper. The hard part was getting the 4 door which you have. The rest is just fiddling, make it easy on yourself. :)

Thank you again, Duke.... and it is the horizontal twin headlights that are most important of course. The '67 has the vertical twin headlamps, while both the '68 and the '69 have the horizontal twin headlights.

David

Hi David, I don't known if what I have would help it not, I have s 68 or 69 built up Bonneville that had the custom stuff glued on and is made into the pickup. Unfortunately I will not be able to dig it up for a few weeks. I am currently in the hospital and won't be home for a bit and won't be able to get to my stuff. If you are interested in putting this on hold let me know and I will find it!

30 minutes ago, fordf-100 said:

Hi David, I don't known if what I have would help it not, I have s 68 or 69 built up Bonneville that had the custom stuff glued on and is made into the pickup. Unfortunately I will not be able to dig it up for a few weeks. I am currently in the hospital and won't be home for a bit and won't be able to get to my stuff. If you are interested in putting this on hold let me know and I will find it!

Thanks, Phillip..... and I wish you a speedy recovery!  I will keep this one of yours in mind, and I might be interested later. Exploring several options at the moment, so not sure where I'm going with it yet. Good of you to think about my project when you clearly have issues of your own to think about. Get well soon, Phillip.

David

18 hours ago, DukeE said:

Here's 68 Bonneville

Duke, I tried to tell him last week to find a resin or rebuilder '68 for his conversion.  But?? 

That resin '68 is from Star Models. cast by R+R Resins. It hasn't been on the market for over a decade.  Some real old stuff pops up when you do a Google image search. And Rocketfin.com 's resin section is so out of date it probably thinks Baywatch is still on TV. LOL ??

Anyway, the hood is also 100'% different.  

11 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Duke, I tried to tell him last week to find a resin or rebuilder '68 for his conversion.  But?? 

That resin '68 is from Star Models. cast by R+R Resins. It hasn't been on the market for over a decade.  Some real old stuff pops up when you do a Google image search. And Rocketfin.com 's resin section is so out of date it probably thinks Baywatch is still on TV. LOL ??

Anyway, the hood is also 100'% different.  

Sorry, Steve..... you must be getting the impression that I am almost ignoring your suggestions and advice. This is not the case, I assure you. Way back when I started looking at this build project about one year ago, I realised that finding a '68 Bonneville 4-door resin or styrene kit was not going to happen, which is why I put the idea to one side and did nothing for a year. Now that I am serious about building this car that I once owned in 1:1, I jumped at the chance to purchase a '67 Bonneville 4-door resin kit...... well aware that  modifying the front end would not be easy. Then I get loads of good advice and suggestions on this forum, which is why I posted the topic of course. As you say, Steve some of the photos and products are very old and no longer available. Don't forget, as a UK model builder I am not familiar with the American market at all. I have no idea what is still available, and I cannot distinguish between what is way out of date, and what might come up on Ebay if I wait awhile. All I know is... the '67 front end is not right for my car, and the '68 or '69 is correct. When it becomes clear that a resin cast or styrene front grille and headlamps is not available at all, then I must scratch build it myself.

David

David, I can help you a little but and maybe more than a little bit. When I was a kid, my grandfather bought a pair of Parisiennes for his caravan business every couple of years and one of them was a 68 Parisienne, just like yours with a Chevy dash. Influenced heavily by my grandfather's taste in American cars,  I bought the MPC 68 convertible/pickup kit and built it with all the custom bits.  Very little is left of it today.

Now what is left is, believe it or not, are the two front grilles, unfortunately with the pointy bits near the middle sliced off but still fixable. I found them last night and will send them to you to help you on your mission. 

Now it is hard to tell you this without getting your hopes up but somewhere I believe I also have the rear bumper and taillights.  Just haven't been able to find them yet.  Should have been in my bumper box but hey, I got a lot of stuff and sometimes it moves to places without my knowledge! I will keep looking this weekend and see if I can unearth the bumper and taillights. If I do they are all yours.  I know they are going to a good home.  Wish me luck in my search! 

Cheers

Alan

1 hour ago, Slick Shifter said:

It seems pretty obvious to me that you're eager to show off your scratchbuilding skills and for that reason i'm here to cheer you on!

Oh I see, Buz..... well, my scratch building skills are not that great if I'm honest...... but thanks for the support and I will try to come up with something worthwhile.

David

9 minutes ago, alan barton said:

David, I can help you a little but and maybe more than a little bit. When I was a kid, my grandfather bought a pair of Parisiennes for his caravan business every couple of years and one of them was a 68 Parisienne, just like yours with a Chevy dash. Influenced heavily by my grandfather's taste in American cars,  I bought the MPC 68 convertible/pickup kit and built it with all the custom bits.  Very little is left of it today.

Now what is left is, believe it or not, are the two front grilles, unfortunately with the pointy bits near the middle sliced off but still fixable. I found them last night and will send them to you to help you on your mission. 

Now it is hard to tell you this without getting your hopes up but somewhere I believe I also have the rear bumper and taillights.  Just haven't been able to find them yet.  Should have been in my bumper box but hey, I got a lot of stuff and sometimes it moves to places without my knowledge! I will keep looking this weekend and see if I can unearth the bumper and taillights. If I do they are all yours.  I know they are going to a good home.  Wish me luck in my search! 

Cheers

Alan

That's great, Alan...... those two front grilles would be much appreciated, and I can give you my postal address details when you are ready. Don't worry too much about the rear bumper and tail lights, as the rear panel I have looks to be accurate anyway. The response from members on here, including yourself has been so helpful and I feel so lucky. Good luck with your search, but as I say, please don't go to any trouble over this.

David

The road wheels that were fitted to the '68 Pontiac Parisienne 4 door that I owned in 1977 were called ' Rostyle ' wheels...... these were made under licence by Rubery Owen in England, and the design of these wheels originated in America, being manufactured in Lansing, Michigan by the Motor Wheel Corporation, and were known as ' Magnum 500 ' wheels.

This style of road wheel was fitted to the Pontiac GTO, Ford Torino, Shelby Mustang, Plymouth Barracuda and AMC Javelin in the United States during the '60's and '70's, while in the UK they were fitted to MG, Rover, Jensen, Range Rover and also chrome-plated Rostyle wheels were fitted to the Ford Cortina 1600E that I used to own and drive.

Sourcing some replica Magnum 500 wheels, or Rostyle wheels as we say, in 1:25 scale will not be easy and may not be possible. Would any MCM forum members have seen such wheels in 1:25 scale resin or styrene? Here is a photo.... the ones shown are 4 stud wheels, but of course they were 5 stud wheels on the Parisienne.

David

36FC6529-614F-4289-8690-66466BEEA720_zpsswhvqhnf.jpg

The wheels are not Mag 500's. 

They're Pontiac Rally II's. Available in easy to find 67 GTO, 68 Firebird, and 70 Bonneville. 15"

PONTIAC RALLY II WHEEL RIM 15 X 6 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 67 66 65 59 61

Below is Mag 500. Similar, but spokes a lot narrower. Hard to see, but in real life, unmistakeable. 

Image result for 68 pontiac mag 500

13 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

The Magnum 500 wheels should be super easy to find David. They're the most common wheel in muscle car kits. There has to be at least a dozen kits on the market right now with them.

Good thinking, Steve.......and according to Duke Earl, the Magnum 500 wheel is actually a Pontiac Rally II wheel..... Available in easy to find 67 GTO, 68 Firebird, and 70 Bonneville. 15"......... Steve, I have ordered and purchased an MPC '70 Bonneville kit on Ebay, which has the correct wheels for my build. Things are coming together nicely now, with Alan Barton in Australia posting some front grille parts that I should be able to make use of. Also, the paint colour that I have is '68 Buick Cameo Cream, which tested as a perfect match this morning. This paint colour is the GM group of cars, Pontiac, Chevy, Buick, Oldsmobile and Cadillac, which have different names for the same colour ( Pontiac Mayfair Maize ).

Thanks, again......

David

Hate to tell you David, but the '70 dosen't have the rallye wheels in it.  It has a set of disc style wheel covers for the stock version.

BUT,, it does have a set of 5 spoke mags as an option that could pass for the wheels in the pic of your old car.

Sounds like you pretty well have everything you need for your build coming. 

We'll be watching to see how it goes.

Edited by Can-Con

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Hate to tell you David, but the '70 dosen't have the rallye wheels in it.  It has a set of disc style wheel covers for the stock version.

BUT,, it does have a set of 5 spoke mags as an option that could pass for the wheels in the pic of your old car.

Sounds like you pretty well have everything you need for your build coming. 

We'll be watching to see how it goes.

Okay, Steve.... understood. Sounds like it has to be the 5 spoke mags and some clever painting to get close to the right effect. The '70 Bonneville kit might have a few other bits in it that I could use, or I can build it as a convertible open top, using the wheels from the '67 resin kit.

David