Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bonneville to Parisienne

Anglia105E

I'm really waiting to see this 4 door sedan done and ready to be seen painted and finished. There's something special in 4 door models that has made me to do several this kind of conversions too. Some good, some less good but anyhow, good luck to you on this project. Looking very sharp this far. 

2 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

As always David, your work is ambitious and highly successful. I am enjoying the work and appreciate that you have allowed the rest of us to go along for the ride! Please keep us posted as you progress.

Eric

Thank you, Eric..... this is my first American car build in 1:25 / 1:24 scale, and I am really enjoying the whole process. Having applied two coats of paint to the body shell today, I shall be posting photos shortly.

David

1 hour ago, Reuhkapelti2 said:

I'm really waiting to see this 4 door sedan done and ready to be seen painted and finished. There's something special in 4 door models that has made me to do several this kind of conversions too. Some good, some less good but anyhow, good luck to you on this project. Looking very sharp this far. 

Many thanks, Ismo..... most of the Pontiac scale model kits seem to be 2-door versions, so I was very pleased to find the 4-door resin kit available in the USA.

I did look at the idea of converting a 2-door body to a 4-door body, but maybe I would not be able to do a good job on this !

Thanks for looking at my Parisienne build, and I will continue with progress updates.

David

Two coats of Buick Cameo Cream paint have been applied today..... the following photos clearly show that the front end needs some further attention, in terms of filler. The jagged edges of the hood, where it meets the front grilles are saw cuts. I did file the lower edge of the hood before painting, but these saw cuts were hidden by a black Sharpie line that I had drawn ( that's my excuse, anyway ). Some small amounts of Plasto putty will be carefully applied this evening, and tomorrow there will be two further coats of body paint applied, making four coats altogether. Not sure yet if I should clearcoat the final topcoat, or maybe use Meguiars Carnauba Wax polish to produce a shine..... the polished finish doesn't have to be a Rolls-Royce level of perfection for this car.

David

100_1899.JPG

100_1900.JPG

100_1901.JPG

100_1909.JPG

100_1911.JPG

On 11/22/2019 at 2:56 AM, Anglia105E said:

Thank you, Bill....... and although the wheels were the best I could find, coming out of a '70 Bonneville kit box, I would really like to get my hands on some Pontiac Rally II's....... as long as it would be no trouble for you to mail me a set of these rims, I would appreciate your gesture very much, Bill....... several members here on MCM forums have kindly sent me small parts in the post for this build project, from as far away as Australia, USA and Canada. The resin kit that I am working with was shipped over to England from Chicago and it is a nicely cast body with everything fitting well. Glad you like the work in progress so far.

Many thanks.......... David

OK I just cut open the sealed bag for the Rally II wheels from one of my GTO kits. Please PM me with your address.

Here are a few further work in progress photos, showing the body of the Parisienne with four coats of Buick Cameo Cream paint applied. Also, there is my first attempt at creating a graduated green tinted windshield strip, using the airbrush and a card template, with Daler-Rowney Sap Green acrylic paint, which is thinned with tap water. This may need a second or third attempt!

The entire body of the model car has been masked off with blue tape and tissue paper, before applying two coats of Halfords Rubberised Black enamel paint from rattle can. This is purely to lay down the textured surface, before applying several thin coats of Revell Aqua Color Mud Brown by airbrush, again thinned with tap water. This must be done carefully, because I don't want to lose the textured effect of the vinyl roof that I am trying to produce. I do need to achieve the correct brown colour, which is being applied over the black.

David

100_1946.JPG

100_1955.JPG

100_1960.JPG

100_1963.JPG

100_1969.JPG

100_1985.JPG

100_1996.JPG

100_2005.JPG

100_2022.JPG

100_2024.JPG

13 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

Your idea for doing the graduated tinted glass is remarkable. I never would've thought of it. Did you airbrush the paint, or manage to get it to coat without brush marks?

Vinyl top looks great.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks, Charlie..... I did try to get hold of a Hasegawa Graduated Windshield Tint in green, but there was only blue or smoke grey available on Ebay, so I decided to do it this way...... basically to place a card template at the top of the windshield ( upside down, so top of screen is at the bottom ) then airbrush the sap green acrylic over the edge of the card, moving the airbrush tip towards the centre of the windshield. This is only the first attempt, so I might do it again, not sure yet. The windshield was inclined at an angle, so the acrylic paint ran downwards and collected in a heavier green band along the edge.

The vinyl roof is Halfords Rubberised Black enamel paint from rattle can, and then I have airbrushed Revell Aqua Color Mud Brown acrylic paint over the black..... here are some more up to date photos....

David

100_2045.JPG

100_2046.JPG

Today the Parisienne has been unmasked, following a visual inspection of the vinyl roof area....... the first two coats of airbrushed brown acrylic were mixed too thinly, so the third and final coat was applied with less water. All the blue masking tape and tissue paper was removed, and I am generally pleased with the result, apart from one small area where the fender meets the windshield surround at the lower corner. As you can see from these photos, the acrylic brown paint has leaked under the masking at some point and produced a nasty looking stain on the yellow body paint. Hoping to remove this acrylic stain with a product that is being delivered tomorrow....... ' Revell Aqua Color Clean '.... hopefully this product will not remove any of the 4 coats of Buick Cameo Cream body paint !

David

100_2101.JPG

100_2104.JPG

100_2107.JPG

100_2110.JPG

100_2112.JPG

Revell_Aqua_Colour_Clean_Hobbycraft.jpg

The Revell Aqua Color Clean product has been used successfully to remove the ' leaked ' brown acrylic paint from the yellow enamel. Actually, I found this product to be quite aggressive, in the sense that as well as removing the acrylic paint quite easily, the solution went on to remove 4 coats of enamel paint if applied with a cotton bud soaked in the solution. Having tested this product on an area of the car that would not matter later, I simply dipped a cotton bud in the Aqua Color Clean and then absorbed most of it with a piece of kitchen roll paper.......so that I could lightly brush away the brown acrylic, without harming the underlying enamel coat.

Today, a set of Pontiac Rally II wheels arrived from the USA, kindly sent by Bill Newcomer..... these wheels will replace the existing wheels on the Parisienne, which were taken from a '70 Bonneville kit. Working on the front grille detail, by painting the surface of the grilles with satin black. This will have Molotow Liquid Crome pen detail applied at some stage, and also headlamp lenses added. Thanks for looking, guys!

David

100_2340.JPG

100_2348.JPG

100_2328.JPG

100_2329.JPG

40 minutes ago, landman said:

Coming right along.

Thank you, Pat..... steadily moving forward....... there have been delays, such as waiting for parts and also the Aqua Color Clean got lost by the carrier, but I ended up with two bottles for the price of one as the original order surfaced!

David

1 hour ago, Reuhkapelti2 said:

Okay you are getting on.  Are you sure you want those A-pillars to be brownish too like the rest of the roof? Just a humble question...

Thanks, Ismo..... You can see from the following photo that the vinyl roof does continue down along the A-pillar.... so that is why my Parisienne model will have the brown vinyl..... also, I used to own the real car, and I can remember the brown vinyl on the A-pillars..... but well spotted by you, and good question!

David

Adverts+(13).jpg

2 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Thanks, Ismo..... You can see from the following photo that the vinyl roof does continue down along the A-pillar.... so that is why my Parisienne model will have the brown vinyl..... also, I used to own the real car, and I can remember the brown vinyl on the A-pillars..... but well spotted by you, and good question!

David

Adverts+(13).jpg

Ok thanks for that photo, now it is cristal clear to me. Very cool detail on a vehicle, I think. 

Having applied a coat of yacht varnish to all the areas of the body that require chrome plating, I must wait for at least 24 hours to let the varnish dry thoroughly. The loft space is not particularly warm at the moment, with outside temperatures of -1 degrees at night time , rising to only 3 degrees above freezing in the daytime. During Thursday I may look at applying the liquid chrome pen to the roof and window mouldings, front grille and rear panels, door handles and bumpers.

David

100_2352.JPG

This is a test fitting of the tail lamps..... also a mock up of the body shell, rolling chassis, interior tub, dashboard, and the windshield. Work is under way to fabricate a rear window glass, along with the side windows..... two of which will be either open or partly open. The dashboard is a Pontiac version, but I am awaiting the delivery of a '65 / '66 Chevy dashboard which will need converting from LHD to RHD. The front grilles need to be detailed and headlamp lenses will be added later.

One thing that is puzzling me a little at this stage, is the front lower panel that goes below the bumper..... there isn't one! None of the kits that I can use have a panel to go in this empty space. Photos of the real car show a panel that has the front direction indicator flasher lamps near the corners, so I might have to scratch build this from styrene. The resin kit did not contain this panel.

David

100_2376.JPG

100_2382.JPG

100_2385.JPG

100_2389.JPG

100_2393.JPG

100_2403.JPG

100_2411.JPG

100_2381.JPG

Save your leftover paint!  You have one additional Parisienne to complete.  Just so happens that Dinky made a nice diecast replica of the same car.  Several variations exist.  Ebay always has several listed, and while they aren't a dime a dozen, it is a model of your actual car (except for the RHD).  Here is one example on auction currently.

PONT1.jpg

PONT2.jpg

PONT3.jpg

Thanks, David Crowe...... I was aware that the Dinky Parisienne existed, and I suppose with a coat of paint the diecast model could be made to look reasonably accurate. It is a 4-door version, and the LHD could be converted to RHD quite easily, I guess. Usually I tend to go for 1:24 scale and 1:43 scale, but this resin kit is a 1:25 scale, and I believe the Dinky model is 1:43 scale ( some Corgi's and Dinky's are 1:50 scale ). Interesting.......

David Watson

Making quite good progress with the Pontiac build over the weekend..... the rear window glass is in, also the rear door windows and windscreen are fitted. Chrome work has been carried out, the detailing is under way for the interior tub, seats and dashboard. Front and rear registration number plates are in place. Both front door windows are open so that the interior can be seen, to a certain extent. Still need to give the front grilles and headlamps some attention, but the rear tail lamps are in.

David

100_2462.JPG

100_2477.JPG

100_2507.JPG

100_2516.JPG

100_2521.JPG