Model Cars Magazine Forum

'63 Fairlane Sport Coupe

Plowboy

3 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Actually, the AMT 63 Hardtop is kind of a hybrid. It's a quicky rework of the 62 2 door sedan kit. AMT removed the door posts and reworked the tops of the windshield and backlight areas. To be completely accurate, you would need the roof from a 64 kit, which benefits from an all new body tool.

While the Revell Thunderbolt stuff drops into the 64 Comet kit nicely, the Fairlane used a completely different underframe and suspension. It was the only game in town at one point, but today I'd use the Moebius 65 Comet underpinnings.

I've not seen anything inaccurate about the roof on this model. Nothing that jumps out at me like most of the Moebius kits. If you check the Moebius '65 Comet chassis against an AMT '66 Fairlane chassis, you'll see they're identical. It's why the '65 Comet has a '66 firewall. The Revell Fairlane chassis is far better than the later model AMT Fairlane chassis. No comparison. I have a '62 Fairlane that I can compare the roofs with. I'll have to check that out. 

Edit: I compared the '62 and '63 roofs. I can say with absolute certainty that the '63 roof isn't a sedan roof with the door /window posts removed and the windshield/backlight reworked. The '63 has a shorter roof/longer tulip panel just as it should.

Edited by Plowboy

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I've not seen anything inaccurate about the roof on this model. Nothing that jumps out at me like most of the Moebius kits. If you check the Moebius '65 Comet chassis against an AMT '66 Fairlane chassis, you'll see they're identical. It's why the '65 Comet has a '66 firewall. The Revell Fairlane chassis is far better than the later model AMT Fairlane chassis. No comparison. I have a '62 Fairlane that I can compare the roofs with. I'll have to check that out. 

Edit: I compared the '62 and '63 roofs. I can say with absolute certainty that the '63 roof isn't a sedan roof with the door /window posts removed and the windshield/backlight reworked. The '63 has a shorter roof/longer tulip panel just as it should.

Compare it to an AMT 64 Fairlane and you will see what I'm talking about.

Great to see this project fall into your hands, Roger. Great inspiration for the rest of us fordnatics  B)

23 hours ago, Plowboy said:

If you check the Moebius '65 Comet chassis against an AMT '66 Fairlane chassis, you'll see they're identical. It's why the '65 Comet has a '66 firewall...

Truly spoken; the company 'cribbed' the 66/67 fairlane/comet chassis (and various Ford truck parts) from amt and slightly modified it. The 'borrowing' isn't really the main issue here, as its happened before in the industry. What's needed is someone who knows how to separate the wheat from the chaff when looking for items they can, um, appropriate :P

66frln65cmtmbs.jpg

Thanx for that photo Mike! That clears thing up! I don't have the Moebius Comet. But, I ran across a photo that showed the "supposed" Moebius chassis and it was identical to the AMT chassis. Maybe the builder had his wires crossed.

Doesn't matter. I wouldn't use one under a '63 Fairlane anyway. 

Thanx guys! This'll probably be the last update. All I have left to do is polish and foil the body, add a few more pieces, assemble and it'll be done. I've done as much as possible to the engine before gluing it to the chassis. Once I get it glued in, I can assemble the interior. I still have to detail the dash. I also need to find or make a battery box.

49055315231_da42e115d5_b.jpg

49055323396_0b41e53c4e_b.jpg

49055539232_fd28266b6c_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Last update! The interior is done and mounted to the chassis. Engine is in permanent. Once I got the headers glued on, I saw that I had to raise the front end back up. Not happy about that! It killed the stance it had! I changed out the wheels and tires in favor of a set of Alumi Stars from a Super Clean Olds Pro Stock. The body is polished and foiled. I just have to install the glass, mirrors and dome light. Then, it'll be ready to mount permanent. Then, it'll just be adding a few details under the hood and routing the wiring.

49085715878_c87975ae12_b.jpg

49086436182_331cac7b01_b.jpg

49085708493_9097d3b6a1_b.jpg