Model Cars Magazine Forum

Golden Sahara Restored

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

At least this one doesn't look like you'll catch tetanus off it.

I have a 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix that sat in storage for almost 30 years.

I was beginning the task of restoring it and have completely rebuilt the engine, drive train, brakes, cooling system, etc.

The paint is shot, there is rust to repair and the interior needs to be completely re-done.

I guess I'm finished!

As it sits, it's a rat rod! ^_^

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Someone built a replica of the Golden Sahara in 1:25 scale.

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/model-cars/the-golden-sahara-model/#.XaecXTd7njo

Now are you going to tell the builder it's ugly?

Oddly enough I was recently thinking of posting the restoration progress thread on Rik Hoving's wonderful Kustom Car Chronicle site.

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/forums/topic/golden-sahara-ii-restoration/#.Xaedpzd7njo

To me the point of many '50s wild custom cars was to be "in-your-face" creative.  The Golden Sahara was always a show car.  They had to outdo their colleagues, and then re-do them for next show season, topping themselves in the process.

When you go to model shows, do you complain about how "ugly" the radical customs are?

Edited by Brian Austin

I can appreciate the extensive work put into building something of this caliber, either 1:1 or model.  But that work effort still does not make it any better looking in my eyes, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Like I used to be told in the military when standing in inspection: "Them shoes look like they have been polished with a Hershey bar and buffed with a brick". 

16 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Oh, it's not exactly subtle, to be sure, though it was not built in an age of restraint.  When a bone stock Chevy looked like this, I imagine any custom builder who wanted to make something that would stand out had their work cut out for them.

1959_chevrolet_impala-pic-17641462775496

And while I'm certainly concede that there are better looking customs out there, it's still a million times better looking than a rat rod.

Now that's a thing of beauty....... ??

Edited by Deuces

Why so intolerant, and dragging into thread, mocking stuff?

Ooo get cooties from rat rod, custom, rusty pos GP (I like GP's amongst all the other stuff), stupid 59 Chevy that rear end flies at 75mph and up because lift, whatever. 

World full of intolerance, why in our hobby? If you don't like whatever thread is about, just want to be negative, why??

All the same hobby, Cars, showrods, customs, rods, trucks. This really ain't "healthy discussion", or sharing a hobby. It's same BS we see everyday on news. You're different so I don't like you, you're inferior. 

It's a hobby. It's supposed to be fun. 

Edited by DukeE

5 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I have a 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix that sat in storage for almost 30 years.

I was beginning the task of restoring it and have completely rebuilt the engine, drive train, brakes, cooling system, etc.

The paint is shot, there is rust to repair and the interior needs to be completely re-done.

I guess I'm finished!

As it sits, it's a rat rod! ^_^

Steve

Does it run? Would it pass inspection and be eligible for tags? If so, drive it and enjoy it! 

26 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Does it run? Would it pass inspection and be eligible for tags? If so, drive it and enjoy it! 

Nah, overrestore it and drive it 20 miles in next 10 yr so our kids can buy it and cut it up, pro-tour the bejeebus out of it. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Runs better than the day I bought it! ^_^

Don't require inspections where I live, and you betcha, I've been driving it.

That is when I can afford to put non-ethanol, premium fuel in a car that gets probably 15 miles to the gallon. :D

Steve

1 hour ago, DukeE said:

Why so intolerant, and dragging into thread, mocking stuff?

Ooo get cooties from rat rod, custom, rusty pos GP (I like GP's amongst all the other stuff), stupid 59 Chevy that rear end flies at 75mph and up because lift, whatever. 

World full of intolerance, why in our hobby? If you don't like whatever thread is about, just want to be negative, why??

All the same hobby, Cars, showrods, customs, rods, trucks. This really ain't "healthy discussion", or sharing a hobby. It's same BS we see everyday on news. You're different so I don't like you, you're inferior. 

It's a hobby. It's supposed to be fun. 

It's just the natural progression of conversation Duke.

Discussions meander off topic all of the time.

Have you never had a conversation that changed topics as it progressed?

Or I should say, have you ever had one that didn't?

It's not a big deal.

Steve

According to this https://kustomrama.com/wiki/The_Golden_Sahara Barris was only responsible for the first version.

Also, some background on those illuMinated tires https://www.thedrive.com/news/26862/why-goodyears-illuminated-tires-were-way-ahead-of-their-time

Edited by Richard Bartrop

Guys, when you look at ancient show cars, dream cars and even production vehicles, you are looking at them with 2019 eyes and experience. Of course they look dated and frumpy to us!  To appreciate their place in history,  you'd have to go back to the set of experiences of the average person in that era... people who had never heard of a Mustang, Camaro or Barracuda.  People who were caught up in the new jet fighters and were very excited to see styling cues like fins and tail lights that looked like jet exhausts on their cars in that specific era.  

I remember when the Fox Mustang first was unveiled in 1979. It was so different than the Mustang II that we were excited.  In fact we ran out and bought a new 1979 Capri right away.  People were stopping us on the road asking what this new cool car was!   I look at that same car today, with the knowledge of car designs since then and it looks old and dated to me.   And that's how it goes!

This car was monumentally futuristic and space age in 1954. Read the attached article to see the futuristic elements built into this car... remote control, experimental Goodyear light up tires to see why this car is significant.  I'll bet those poking fun at it didn't read the article!

Edited by Tom Geiger

On 10/15/2019 at 9:10 AM, Snake45 said:

My eyes! My eyes! :blink:

22 hours ago, Snake45 said:

... I've seen quite a few "rat rods" that had way more eye appeal than this backbirth.... 

20 hours ago, Snake45 said:

No, but you might catch something even worse. :lol:

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I would, but I'm afraid I might see MORE of it! 

Snake, love your stuff, ya even like showrods IIRC. Agree on using the GP. Just c'mon, man. We get it. Horse is double dead. Beyond Snake-Fu. 

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Guys, when you look at ancient show cars, dream cars and even production vehicles, you are looking at them with 2019 eyes and experience.

Uh, no. I do like some show/dream cars. This ain't one of them.  It's just plain ugly. It looks like it would fit right in in "Killer Clowns From Outer Space".

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

This car was monumentally futuristic and space age in 1954. Read the attached article to see the futuristic elements built into this car... remote control, experimental Goodyear light up tires to see why this car is significant.  I'll bet those poking fun at it didn't read the article!

The thing even responded to voice commands, in 1960.  But of course, that's not nearly as clever as making noises like a five year old about it's looks.

34 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

The thing even responded to voice commands, in 1960.  But of course, that's not nearly as clever as making noises like a five year old about it's looks.

Elon will claim that as an antenatal achievement if we ever point it out. Also, we need a like button :)

26 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

At least the five year old will call 'em as he sees 'em and not worry about toeing the line.

Rude  five year olds don't usually know where the line is, adults do. People can like what they like. We share liked stuff, I read your stuff. Yelling it suxxors ain't going to make anyone like anything less, and diminishes the whole board. 

Half the stuff on this car could have been vaporware, but ideas were cool.

Buick Y-job (never kitted afaik) and LeSabre had all kinds of stuff, but no voice commands or light up tires. Goodyear even made some up for it, doubt GM asked. Weird idea, but 50's, Kustom, jet-o-space. LOL.