Model Cars Magazine Forum

Speed parts identification, and period useage

37 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

The AMT '37 Chevy kits come with a very nice Offenhauser? finned valve cover, dual carb intake and split headers. They definitely look like vintage aftermarket equipment if you are into straight sixes.

090706 0161937 Chev AMT

Edited by afx

1) Blower in first post is a generic "oval case" GMC 6-71. The junkyard cases varied considerably depending on what the blower was originally installed on. Remember...in the early days, these things were salvaged from trucks, mining equipment, military landing craft, etc. Front drives and rear covers varied considerably too. The mounting flange on the oval-case units isn't seen.

2) Yup, the one in the '57 Chebby is supposed to be a S.C.o.T blower, but it's not a very good one. The real unit has a lot more ribs. Replicas and Miniatures makes one that's a real jewel.

3) And yes, the '25 T kit has a Latham Axial Flow unit. These didn't make much boost at low RPM, and were expensive to manufacture.

4) The "doesn't look the same" unit is a bottom-flange style GMC 4-71. This mounting flange is more common than the oval-case style on old race cars, but the internal workings are the same.

EDIT: For reference, the Potvin (and knockoff) crank-driven blower rigs usually...but not always...used the oval-case blower housings...

image.png.e5f7d69b937cfd7f46604c420ca96178.png

EDIT 2: Here's a shot of an oval-case unit mounted like in the first post...

1771959693_blower6-71ovalcase.jpg.d7c5f4fedba30fe87fce21e6bf46a484.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

20 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Maybe I should have started with this one from AMT's '25 Tee kits.

The Latham Axial Flow Blower was kinda different from most blowers modelers were familiar with.

T1252007-vi.jpg

download (1).jpg

I've often wondered exactly how was this supposed to mate with the intake? From the kit it's just popped down on the manifold where the carbs go, but theres no clear mating surface. 

2 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Latham 002 (1).jpg

So, am I seeing this right? An adapter plate over the stock intake?

2 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

amt977.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the centifugal superchangers represented here and in the Avanti kit I think, are McColloughs where the Fords used the Paxtons

• 2 weeks later...